Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Oil cooler on track with low ambient

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 07:32 AM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
No that's just the cooler. I meant this:

http://www.gtmotorsports.com/product...cat=425&page=1

It's also available with an oil cooler kit for about 500 more. Just search for it.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:53 AM
ashmostro

Originally Posted by soundmike
ash, toyz post just reminded me. Based on your comments on swapping out pads between track and daily, possibly keeping the same rotors, you should look into the Carbotech pads as well.

You can run Bobcats for daily and any of the XP's for track without having to re-surface the rotors.
mike, just want to thank you again for excellent advice. I looked into this and talked to both manufacturers. Once digging deeper I found out things that have swayed me to the carbotech camp, and I'll be getting 1512's (bobcats) for the street, and XP12/XP10 (f/r) for the track. This combo was at the recommendation of carbotech after I described my application and goals.

Going to A/B the street pads and post up a comparo on this forum, for the few that might be interested.

On another note, what are your thoughts on titanium backing shims for thermal barrier purposes? Some say yes for the obvious reasons, others say the thermal barrier accelerates pad and rotor wear due to lack of a secondary heat sink.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:52 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
You're welcome. Glad it helped a bit. There can never be too many options around here.

Did you talk to Mike over at Carbo? He's a pretty swell guy and will give you as much information as you can take. If you get really serious, IIRC, they will make you custom compounds as well.

I look forward to your a/b testing. As you'll recall, my own experience and the track i go to is rather light on the brakes --- there's no justifying me going all the way to XP10/12 (yet), but seeing where you're taking the car and reading on your experiences may sway me there. Reserve braking power is better than not having enough.

About the shims, i have nothing much to say about them though. Wouldn't they just replace the OEM shims? IIRC, the photo i saw of the Ti shims for the Akebono's look almost exactly like the OEM's, albeit Ti. If that's the case, my guess is it won't affect pad and rotor wear significantly more than the OEM set-up. The rotor is your largest heatsink, the cooler you get that, the cooler everything stays. The shims are to keep that heat from getting to the pistons, calipers and ultimately the brake fluid.

Would love to keep that discussion open though, i'm as curious as you are.

Originally Posted by ashmostro
On another note, what are your thoughts on titanium backing shims for thermal barrier purposes? Some say yes for the obvious reasons, others say the thermal barrier accelerates pad and rotor wear due to lack of a secondary heat sink.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:40 AM
ashmostro

I did chat with Mike, but only over email so far. He was incredibly helpful over just that medium! Makes me feel even more comfortable with the company and their product. I'll be ordering their stuff in a month- waiting on my backordered SS lines first so that I can get those on with the ET500's first so the A/B is clean of variables.

I really have no idea what to expect on the track as far as fade since I've never tracked this car. I'm guessing from what you've said the 12/10 setup will be good. No ducts yet and stock rotors, and I now know I can't run RB rotors with the carbotech pads (google it for details) so if I want to go 2-piece my options at the rear may be limited. But that's getting ahead of myself. I doubt I'll do that for a long time.

As for the shims, as you know it all has to do with the thermal conductivity of Ti vs steel. I understand the physics, but braking systems are complicated things, and it was Mike specifically that said Ti shims are a big no-no. I'm not going to run them this time so I can get a baseline. Might run em next year to compare.

I'm hoping RBF600 will be enough to stave off boiling fluid. I'm thinking it will be for a track noob.

Will definitely keep in touch. PM me your email if you like.
-Ash
Old 10-09-2012, 05:14 PM
ashmostro

Scored a deal on a used Nismo/Setrab 34-row kit! Need to buy a thermostatic conversion kit but that's about it. Uses -10AN lines and OEM style filter.