Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

HELP: radiator cap loose, limp mode?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 12:26 AM
momoz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP: radiator cap loose, limp mode?

2008 G37s
88,000 miles

Tonight on my way home from the movies my car went into limp mode and I noticed the temp was all the way high. I pulled over and steam was coming from under the hood.. Checked and noticed radiator cap was loose and fluid was all over the inside.
I was able to pull into gas station and put water in radiator to get home..

Just a few days ago I was getting oil changed (quick lube place..ugh) and tech recommended radiator fluid change.. Maybe they didn't fully tighten cap?

Any ideas or suggestions? I know the water was a quick solution and needs flushing. Ow.. Does the limp mode prevent problems or could I now have engine damage?

Infiniti dealer is 90+ miles.. Any suggestions on where I should take it or what I might be up against? Was thinking local Nissan dealer(5miles)

Thanks!!
mike
Old 06-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Buckeye G

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan should be able to perform all fluid changes or maintance without any issues. And probly cheaper.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:02 AM
rabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No more quick lubes for you!!!!
Old 06-30-2012, 02:57 AM
Track Bandit

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Quick lube?

WHY, OH WHY DO PEOPLE STILL KEEP GOING TO "QUICK LUBE" SHOPS to have their oil changed? Honest people, learn to change your own oil and check the other items under the hood which require the education of a sixth grader to understand. Never, did I say NEVER trust what a "Quick Lube" technician when he recommends you get a new air filter, engine coolant flush, new tires, suspension parts of any kind, a brake job, or anything else. If you have to go to these places to change your oil, do the following:
1. Bring your own oil and watch them put it in the car. Make sure it is the correct amount so they don't over-fill, under-fill,or use the wrong weight oil.
2. Bring your own filter so you know it's a quality one. Write the mileage and date on the side of the filter using a sharpie pen before you give it to them. This makes for a good reminder in case you forget in the future.
3. Make sure they tighten the oil pan drain plug correctly and torque it to factory specs. Stripped oil pan drain plugs leak, and then eventually will cause you to replace the entire oil pan to fix it. They will never admit to over-tightening your drain plug. They especially will never admit to not tightening your drain plug after your engine seizes up after the drain plug falls out in 20 miles or so.
4. Never let them touch your radiator cap and remove it to check your fluid level. People, we have a translucent white reservoir so that you can see the correct level of fluid. If it's low, then fill it with plain water. That little difference will not affect the effectiveness of the coolant. NEVER, EVER let them put in their own coolant into your car. You don't know if it's compatible so only touch it up with clear, clean and if available distilled water.
5. Oh did I mention to MAKE SURE you see them do all of the items listed above correctly and don't spend the time in the lounge drinking coffee and eating a donut while they're screwing with your car. If they won't let you do that, then don't let them touch the car and get out of there as fast as you can.

Actually the best thing to do is spend the money and go to a reputable shop and get it done right by a qualified technician. Is loosing an engine worth saving $30 or so on an oil change? I think not.

Last edited by Track Bandit; 06-30-2012 at 03:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Osama_STI (07-25-2023)