Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

re-tuning your car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 12:50 PM
TeeItHi
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re-tuning your car?

just wondering if anyone here has taken there uprev tuned car to another tuner for a re-tune? looking to see if uprev is getting better from a year ago or it just depends on a good tuner?
Old 06-04-2012, 01:12 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I'm having mine looked at. I know some of the Z guys had to have theirs re-tuned, ECU relearned and over rode the UPREV tune.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:26 PM
OB G

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Isn't there some sort of password that the original tuner sets so that no one can mess with the tune? Thus wouldn't the follow up tuner need the password to unlock the tune?
Old 06-04-2012, 01:28 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Hmm good question, But I'm using the same tuner, Not sure about the OP tho
Old 06-04-2012, 01:51 PM
indyn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TeeItHi
just wondering if anyone here has taken there uprev tuned car to another tuner for a re-tune? looking to see if uprev is getting better from a year ago or it just depends on a good tuner?

wouldn't suggest unless you got some newer intake/exhaust mods since you're last tune.

where did you go for your last tune?
Old 06-04-2012, 06:04 PM
seymore4
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Unless the tuner locked the tune file anyone can retune it, but they'll have to start completely from scratch unless you have the original tune file (you can't download it from the ecu)
Old 06-06-2012, 10:56 AM
TeeItHi
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont think they're locked.

Originally Posted by OB G
Isn't there some sort of password that the original tuner sets so that no one can mess with the tune? Thus wouldn't the follow up tuner need the password to unlock the tune?
i don't think they're locked. i've heard of other people not happy with their first tune and going to other tuner without them mentioning of password from 1st tuner.

they're 2 or 3 guys here that are posting much higher numbers now with their tune in the past few months with basically intake & exhaust. just wondering if its just good tuner or is uprev finding more power with their software?
Old 06-06-2012, 12:12 PM
seymore4
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TeeItHi
i don't think they're locked. i've heard of other people not happy with their first tune and going to other tuner without them mentioning of password from 1st tuner.

they're 2 or 3 guys here that are posting much higher numbers now with their tune in the past few months with basically intake & exhaust. just wondering if its just good tuner or is uprev finding more power with their software?
Keep in mind that different dyno's can show drastically different numbers for the same exact car.. Even the same dyno on different days can vary. If the first tune wasn't that great that could be part of it, but the software hasn't changed much in the last few years. The only real thing I can think of is the added fan control. It's still an internal combustion engine so all the same rules still apply.. Until they figure out how to fully control VVEL there won't be much additional gains to be had through tuning.

If you go to another tuner to get tuned and don't have a copy of the original tune it might as well be locked because they can't access
It and will have to start over. I'm sure every tuner has their own base maps that they use as a starting point tho so it's not really a big deal
Old 06-06-2012, 12:27 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

I guess another question is , When or will they add some control for the auto tranny, I have been calling them for over a week, No answers, No return calls, I finally sent them a email last night. .We'll see. Tho,, I know the GM guys have full control over their auto's, There was a guy at the track with me two weeks ago in a GS vette with a SC ( 580WHP) Auto tranny who was telling me his tuner just changed the settings on his transmission. TQ converter and all, Needless to say he was 11.2-11.4 all night long. Us auto guys need to look at a upgrade TQ for those numbers. Just stinks a bit that we can not control the TQ converter VIA the ECU and have to change it out for $1100. ..
Old 06-06-2012, 12:56 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
I'm having mine looked at. I know some of the Z guys had to have theirs re-tuned, ECU relearned and over rode the UPREV tune.
Is this true???
Old 06-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
^^^^ skynet... its happening
Old 06-06-2012, 01:54 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 1cleanG
Is this true???

Yea!! Imagine that????
One of the cars is a local guy to me with a Z, We both use the same tuner, Something I was talking about with them.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:06 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Originally Posted by Fezzik
^^^^ skynet... its happening
Dave - just spoke with Jared this morning ...i'll keep you updated if I come down. I NEED to get tuned before Powercruise!!!!!!

Yea!! Imagine that????
One of the cars is a local guy to me with a Z, We both use the same tuner, Something I was talking about with them.
I was JUST planning a trip to chicago(6/7 hrs) to AMS Performance to get tuned until I read this. Now I'm contemplating on purchasing the actual unit and etunes myself and going to a local shop that has experience w/ the Osiris Tuner unit.

ugh...thoughts? recommendations?

Last edited by 1cleanG; 06-06-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:22 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

I would definitly do it , With them being that far away, I would look into getting the cable and being able to check the tune on your own, I'm sure you tuner can email you your tune, My Cobb tuner did that with my on my MS3. I did not go that why cause my tuner lives 15 Mins from me I can just swing by his house,
Old 06-06-2012, 03:42 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

I would definitly do it , With them being that far away, I would look into getting the cable and being able to check the tune on your own, I'm sure you tuner can email you your tune, My Cobb tuner did that with my on my MS3. I did not go that why cause my tuner lives 15 Mins from me I can just swing by his house,
I have a local tuner that does Cobb tuning, but I've heard the way to go on our cars is UpRev?

Quick Reply: re-tuning your car?