Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

re-tuning your car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 01:43 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by indyn
Noticed difference in shifting when my car is driven normally and aggressive.

My car is automatic, so when in 'Drive' and I go full WOT, the car shifts really fast and almost at red line. Even in Manual shifting, when in WOT, shifts between each gear is almost instant.
This is not the case when driven less aggressive. I do have Uprev, and transmission line pressure was not touched when I got it tuned.

I'm not complaining but is this normal?
Yea the D mode in our cars STINK, The gear hunting is unbearable at times, I always drive in Manual. Paddles FTW.

The TQ management is only when you go FI,
Old 06-08-2012, 01:58 PM
indyn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Yea the D mode in our cars STINK, The gear hunting is unbearable at times, I always drive in Manual. Paddles FTW.

The TQ management is only when you go FI,

how is Stillen s/c working out for you? really thinking of getting it, of course with custom tune. Is the whine as bad as GTM's s/c?
Old 06-08-2012, 02:26 PM
seymore4
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The new stillen kits come bundled with uprev software so the cable you have IS. An uprev cable, you should be able to download Osiris standard from their website (free under support) an plug it into your obd2 and have it register. However if you got a custom tune (sounds like you did, and I'm glad because the canned tune from stillen sucks) then you'd have to get the tuned rom file from your tuner. There is no way to "download" a tune from the ecu once it's been flashed on. But he can email it to you, and shouldn't have any problem doing that... Or you can take the drive and get it. But either way I would highly recommend getting a copy for yourself just in case something happens in the future
Old 06-08-2012, 02:29 PM
seymore4
Registered Member

how is Stillen s/c working out for you? really thinking of getting it, of course with custom tune. Is the whine as bad as GTM's s/c?
I had the opportunity to drive one around for a while and loved it. Felt like a stock car but with an extra 100 ponies under the hood! Stillen uses a vortech and they're pretty quiet
Old 06-08-2012, 02:39 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by seymore4
The new stillen kits come bundled with uprev software so the cable you have IS. An uprev cable, you should be able to download Osiris standard from their website (free under support) an plug it into your obd2 and have it register. However if you got a custom tune (sounds like you did, and I'm glad because the canned tune from stillen sucks) then you'd have to get the tuned rom file from your tuner. There is no way to "download" a tune from the ecu once it's been flashed on. But he can email it to you, and shouldn't have any problem doing that... Or you can take the drive and get it. But either way I would highly recommend getting a copy for yourself just in case something happens in the future
Hey Thanx man. I will ask him for it also,, I will see if i can get a crash course on line this weekend with the disc and my laptop, YES THE Stillen can tune is HORRIBLE, I couldnt even start the car when it was at OP temp.. LOL WOuld flood out" Hot start issue" The first thing I did was a custom tune.

On a side note, I'm also on 370Z.com a lot and there is someone thowing around that in MA you have a UPREV'd flashed car you will FAIL inspection and be sent to MAC, Anyone else anywhere heard of this.. The write up also said some about " You must have all your readiness codes ON," Why would you shut them off unless you where running things you arent supposed, HFC's or No Cats.
I think its BS since I got my sticker with the SC kit and tune in the car...
Old 06-08-2012, 03:28 PM
seymore4
Registered Member

With just Osiris standard there isn't much you can do, just flash Roms, check/clear codes, and datalog. Pm me if you want to upgrade to the tuner version, that's the only one that lets you view/edit the actual tune.

I've been following that thread on the 370 forum as well... Sounds like complete
BS, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if someone was trying to
Sell somebody something with those stories... Maybe a shop that can't tune uprev thats trying to scare people away from it? People are gullible and 90% of the VQ drivers out there would probably believe it lock stock n barrel if a
"shop owner" told them..
Old 06-08-2012, 04:11 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

With just Osiris standard there isn't much you can do, just flash Roms, check/clear codes, and datalog. Pm me if you want to upgrade to the tuner version, that's the only one that lets you view/edit the actual tune.

I've been following that thread on the 370 forum as well... Sounds like complete
BS, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if someone was trying to
Sell somebody something with those stories... Maybe a shop that can't tune uprev thats trying to scare people away from it? People are gullible and 90% of the VQ drivers out there would probably believe it lock stock n barrel if a
"shop owner" told them..
I will for sure let you if I want to upgrade, Thanx,
Funny thing is I almost used them for my tune, Meet their tuner ran my car on their dyno( NA ) and UM he was a , So to your point you might be right. I did not want to say that over there but I'm sure thats going to come out, He did not really answer anything I asked him , Kinda ran around it.
I know the guys over @ Kaizen pretty good and their tuner and he has heard nothing , Other tham more modded cars and being sent to MAC. But nothing on the UPREV issue?
Old 06-08-2012, 04:40 PM
seymore4
Registered Member

Personally I think that guy who brought up the dealer ecu firmware updates hit it right on the nailhead, from talking to the guys at uprev when you get an ecu update like that they completely wipe and reflash a whole new firmware onto it.. That's why your Osiris license is lost for good if you don't reflash back to stock before you get the updates.. So even if there was some way for them to check for flashed/modified ecu code, if you went to the dealer and got the latest version of the firmware flashed onto the ecu it would in essence be brand new with no traces of your Previous shenanigans

And that guy who posted up about how it's not worth it to get a tune and then have to deal with emissions every year is just a tool. Seriously needs to trade in that man's car for a miata

Last edited by seymore4; 06-08-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:43 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Its working out very good, I like it a lot, A whole lot , The whine isnt that bad more of a klac,klac noise, .. But its not loud at all, I honestly would look at GTM, I think Sam's customer service is better. I have had some issues with them and still have not been resolved yet, The kit is GREAT their service sux, IMO., I even tossed around the idea of taking my kit out and going GTM, but its not like I can just return it LOL
Old 06-08-2012, 09:46 PM
seymore4
Registered Member

I think Sam's customer service is better.
LMAO well at least until they get your money
Old 06-08-2012, 09:47 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Personally I think that guy who brought up the dealer ecu firmware updates hit it right on the nailhead, from talking to the guys at uprev when you get an ecu update like that they completely wipe and reflash a whole new firmware onto it.. That's why your Osiris license is lost for good if you don't reflash back to stock before you get the updates.. So even if there was some way for them to check for flashed/modified ecu code, if you went to
The dealer and got a the latest version of the firmware flashed onto the ecu it would in essence be brand new with no traces of your Previous shenanigans

And that guy who posted up about how it's Not worth it to get a tune and then have to deal with emissions every year is just a tool. Seriously needs to trade in that man's car for a musta
Yea but if they could check then guys like me, who can not even drive my car on the stock tune do what remove my SC once a year to get a sticker.. LOL GTM Like Stillen spent all that $$$ to be Carb legal for a reason,
Old 06-08-2012, 09:51 PM
seymore4
Registered Member

Yea but if they could check then guys like me, who can not even drive my car on the stock tune do what remove my SC once a year to get a sticker.. LOL GTM Like Stillen spent all that $$$ to be Carb legal for a reason,
I'm pushing almost 600 at the wheels on a DE with twins... I know all about it man
Old 06-09-2012, 01:51 AM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Noticed difference in shifting when my car is driven normally and aggressive.

My car is automatic, so when in 'Drive' and I go full WOT, the car shifts really fast and almost at red line. Even in Manual shifting, when in WOT, shifts between each gear is almost instant.
This is not the case when driven less aggressive. I do have Uprev, and transmission line pressure was not touched when I got it tuned.

I'm not complaining but is this normal?
Yes it's normal, and by design even without a tune. What I noticed is that a tune made the car more responsive and because of that shifting improved as well.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:55 AM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1cleanG
Is this true???
No, ECU learning doesn't wipe a tune. The Tune modifies ECU tables that can only be changed by reflashing, uninstalling, or a .357 point blank fired at the ECU. I'd think of a tune as macro level changes to AFR/timing/limits with ECU learning being micro level to account for changes in environmental factors like temp, fuel, altitude & fat chicks.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 06-09-2012 at 03:01 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:01 PM
seymore4
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
The Tune modifies ECU tables that can only be changed by reflashing, uninstalling, or a .357 point blank fired at the ECU.

When you get tuned you're changing the tables that the ecu learns from, basically setting a new starting point. On the stock ECU it has the factory programmed values that its constantly trying to get to, this gets harder and harder as you add mods. The tune changes these so that its adjusting to the sweet spot the tuner programmed in

Quick Reply: re-tuning your car?