Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Manual Transmission Issues - is it done?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 12:13 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Manual Transmission Issues - is it done?

I've had issues with my transmission since day once. A month into ownership, I had the entire clutch assembly replaced under warranty for a warped and poorly seated flywheel. I was sincerely hoping that month of driving (albeit for a very short time) would not have any sort of chain reaction. Do you think it could have? Details to follow.

Turned the car over a bit ago. The engine oil temperature indicated that the car was 1/4 warmed up, if you will. Now, I've always had an issue with my 2nd gear grinding for as long as I can remember. We thought that maybe I wasn't letting my car warm up long enough (a full minute), so I let it sit for a bit. Despite, pulled out of the garage and slowly put it into first (I always do in the morning), and shifted around 2800 revolutions into 2nd. Here's the interesting part - I got kicked out of second...somewhat. The clutch for SURE was completely disengaged (clutch pedal all the way to the floor). It grinded (like when you try to get into a gear without disengaging the clutch) MUCH noticeably this time. What distinguishes this time from the other grinds? It kicked me out - synchros remained closed and I did NOT get into 2nd. Slowly pulled over...tried again. Got into 2nd with some grinding yet again, but it stayed in.

I've been known to somewhat take my car to the dealership over zealously. Can someone please GUIDE me in HOW to explain my issue to them, so that they take me seriously, please?

Your time is greatly appreciated,
Eric

PS I also sometimes (as best as I can describe it) get pushed out of 1st into 2nd as well. It's not that I'm getting kicked out, but when I disengage the clutch to go into 2nd, something pushes the shifter out; doesn't feel normal. 3rd and 5th gears are extremely notchy. The car has 31,000 miles on it (purchased new, so I'm the ONLY driver). The transmission is on FRESH fluid (I did the change myself - I did NOT over fill or under fill the transmission case) - OEM Nissan MTF purchased from Infiniti of Kirkland (about 1,000 miles old).
Old 06-22-2011, 01:08 AM
eksigned

Any responses would be greatly appreciated. I'll throw in a free hug. No homo

C'mmoooonnn lol
Old 06-22-2011, 04:28 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I think your second gear syncro might be gone. Sounds like how my 6th gear was before they changed the tranny. Try showing them the 2nd gear grind and they should order you a new tranny asap.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:32 AM
koa789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same issue with my G37S Coupe. It started popping out of first gear, but for me that was the only gear it did it in. Also 2nd and 3rd gear were grinding like crazy. I went trough two clutches and a transmission, and the problem still came back. I got rid of the car two weeks ago. It had 55k miles on it. I also had a vibration in 1st gear (you can feel the whole car shimmy side to side at take off) that they could never resolve. I'd go and have them (shop foreman) drive the car with you in it until they notice the issue.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:37 AM
eksigned

Originally Posted by koa789
I had the same issue with my G37S Coupe. It started popping out of first gear, but for me that was the only gear it did it in. Also 2nd and 3rd gear were grinding like crazy. I went trough two clutches and a transmission, and the problem still came back. I got rid of the car two weeks ago. It had 55k miles on it. I also had a vibration in 1st gear (you can feel the whole car shimmy side to side at take off) that they could never resolve. I'd go and have them (shop foreman) drive the car with you in it until they notice the issue.
Hm...that vibration you're talking about, I have something along those lines. But it isn't noticeable, except in the actual shifter (when you're holding it). It's not the typical jerk back and forth (no pun intended), but more of a violent "flutter" or shimmy or the actual shifter. I've already contact Infiniti Roadside - they opened a case file for me. I'm to activate it in the morning so that a tow truck can come load my car up and take it to the dealership. Since the problem seems much worse upon initial start up...I figured I'd have it towed to guarantee they feel/see the issue. Damn...all these issues are starting to make this car turn into my previous 2005 TL.

Thanks for the pointers! Sure do hope they can fix it!
Old 06-22-2011, 04:49 AM
koa789

I think the shifter vibration is normal, as these cars are famous for drive line vibrations. My vibration started at the clutch pedal, shook trough the transmission, and into the rear end, making the car vibrate from side to side. I really hope you do get it figured out. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:03 AM
eksigned

good to know. you don't think having 4.083 ring and pinion would have any influence on the transmission do you?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:09 PM
koa789

Originally Posted by eksigned
good to know. you don't think having 4.083 ring and pinion would have any influence on the transmission do you?
I doubt it. My car was bone stock, and I drove it like it was made out of glass, and it still broke down.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Alpha Ice
Minnesota G owners

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a new 2011 6MT Sedan and I have no issues at all with shifting or being kicked out of gears