Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Loud chatter noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Krebo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud chatter noise

Ok so the throw in / throw out bearing on my 6mt is so damn loud its driving me insane... Heard a couple of people got their transmissions replaced under warranty.

The question i have is for the users who had it replaced.. Does the annoying noise come back after a while or will they replace it with a part that actually isnt a piece of ****.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:25 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
i just hit 47K miles and this is what mine sounded like 2 weeks ago..getting it checked out at Infiniti on friday..

YouTube - Clutch Chatter
Old 05-10-2011, 10:47 AM
BagFalls

Originally Posted by Krebo
Ok so the throw in / throw out bearing on my 6mt is so damn loud its driving me insane... Heard a couple of people got their transmissions replaced under warranty.

The question i have is for the users who had it replaced.. Does the annoying noise come back after a while or will they replace it with a part that actually isnt a piece of ****.

This is assuming you can get the dealer to replace it. I just dropped my car off yesterday for various work. The service manager drove the car and said all my tranny noise is normal. I told him that it is the noisiest input shaft I have ever heard on a car. He advised me that my warranty is good for another couple years, so I should sit tight and just drive a new 6mt once they have it on the lot to see it is consistant with the noises I hear (I havent driven any other G37s). Fingers crossed they replace my bubble seat, now. Expecting a call back today....
Old 05-10-2011, 11:23 AM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
My trans was replaced for a whining input shaft bearing, not clutch chatter. My g37 does not chatter, but the g35 I owned previous was very loud. I think it's luck of the draw for trans noise...whether you have it and whether the dealer will do anything about it.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:42 AM
BagFalls

Originally Posted by speedracer g37
My trans was replaced for a whining input shaft bearing, not clutch chatter. My g37 does not chatter, but the g35 I owned previous was very loud. I think it's luck of the draw for trans noise...whether you have it and whether the dealer will do anything about it.
Can you describe this whining noise? I have a whine in addition to my growl that I have talked about in other posts. It sounds like an old power steering pump.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:37 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Silent when the clutch is pressed, whining gear noise with clutch out and stick in neutral position.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:00 PM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine has a whine when driving in first?
Old 05-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's transmission chatter you're hearing, not the throw out bearing. The transmissions on these cars are extremely stout so they use a flywheel as heavy as possible without giving up performance to try to alleviate as much of the chatter as possible.

The stock flywheel is a dual-mass that weighs in at 32lbs. If you think that's bad, try going with an aluminum flywheel that weighs less then half that. I have the Jim Wolf flywheel that weighs just under 16lbs and it's very loud especially when that transmission oil heats up and you've been driving aggressively for a while.

A whining sound that you hear when driving could be from the rear differential. Sometimes if you use a heavier based gear oil it will help with that, as it did for me. I know in colder weather especially it can be a lot more pronounced.

Last edited by Staples; 05-10-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:58 PM
BagFalls

Originally Posted by Staples
It's transmission chatter you're hearing, not the throw out bearing. The transmissions on these cars are extremely stout so they use a flywheel as heavy as possible without giving up performance to try to alleviate as much of the chatter as possible.

The stock flywheel is a dual-mass that weighs in at 32lbs. If you think that's bad, try going with an aluminum flywheel that weighs less then half that. I have the Jim Wolf flywheel that weighs just under 16lbs and it's very loud especially when that transmission oil heats up and you've been driving aggressively for a while.

A whining sound that you hear when driving could be from the rear differential. Sometimes if you use a heavier based gear oil it will help with that, as it did for me. I know in colder weather especially it can be a lot more pronounced.
Thanks for the info. This kind of puts my mind at ease. Would this be creating my "growl" noise when I let out the clutch, as well as my car sounding like a quiet diesel truck when idling with the clutch out in neutral (after hard driving)?
Old 05-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Krebo

I have what speedracer is describing... whining input shaft bearing..

Is it quiet now? or is the sound creeping back in?

Last edited by Krebo; 05-10-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:48 PM
G37SBS
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i got my transmission replaced two months ago for the different issue but the noise is still there when i got the car back. So replacing the transmission won't fix it. You just need to ignore and get use to it lol