Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

What's the current story with the 7AT???

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 01:07 AM
doug.nash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the current story with the 7AT???

I haven't been on here in over a year. I have a '09 G37S, and I've had one re-flash for the transmission right after. That seemed to help some of the absolutely horrible downshifting. But it did nothing for the rest of the way the car shifts.

Lately, in fact, it seems like the 3-4 "flare" is far more pronounced. It certainly happens 100% if the car is driven, parked for a short time, then driven again. Just like I had always read about before.

It's a joke. I have literally never driven a car, at any price level, with a transmission that feels is poorly engineered as this one.

The only saving grace is that it is fun in manual mode, on the freeway. But that's it.

So...after all that, is there a new end-all be-all TSB that is supposed to FIX this once and for all??? When I had my last oil change, the service tech said there was one listed, but I didn't have time to leave the car there.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:19 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by doug.nash
I haven't been on here in over a year. I have a '09 G37S, and I've had one re-flash for the transmission right after. That seemed to help some of the absolutely horrible downshifting. But it did nothing for the rest of the way the car shifts.

Lately, in fact, it seems like the 3-4 "flare" is far more pronounced. It certainly happens 100% if the car is driven, parked for a short time, then driven again. Just like I had always read about before.

It's a joke. I have literally never driven a car, at any price level, with a transmission that feels is poorly engineered as this one.

The only saving grace is that it is fun in manual mode, on the freeway. But that's it.

So...after all that, is there a new end-all be-all TSB that is supposed to FIX this once and for all??? When I had my last oil change, the service tech said there was one listed, but I didn't have time to leave the car there.
Personally I don't see a problem with it. Sportiness & comfort don't usually come in the same package. I live with the jerkiness of the downshift. If I wanted comfort, I would've bought a Lexus instead.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:22 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by devil2k
Personally I don't see a problem with it. Sportiness & comfort don't usually come in the same package. I live with the jerkiness of the downshift. If I wanted comfort, I would've bought a Lexus instead.
All I can say is that I have an 09 and I have never bothered to do any of the transmission re-flashes, and I'm not planning to do it either.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:36 AM
KLB

You really think that the 3-4 flare is that bad? I don't even notice it a lot of the time. The RPMs jump a little one time and then all is right in the world.

I had the first reprogram done back in '09, but nothing after that. In fact I told them last time I had the car in for my brakes to NOT touch my ECU. I did not want a TSB performed on it even if I qualified for one.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:34 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've put 10,500 miles on my 2010 and have no complaints with the 7 speed auto tranny.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:36 AM
doug.nash

"Sportiness & comfort don't usually come in the same package."

Seriously?

Have you even driven the 335i. I've driven two different model years of that sedan, both owned by friends, and those transmission are silky smooth and totally responsive. Heck, my Mom's 2005 G35's 5AT is far more enjoyable. Some of that may be due to the far more aggressive (and desirable IMHO) throttle tip in on that older car.

In fact, if someone wishes to argue that the "jerkiness" comes from the fact that it's a sport transmission, then I would counter back that I would at least expect our G cars to shift in a more sporty manner. Having to leave it in DS, to not have the darned thing shift into seventh at 20mph. Seriously? Even in DS, the lag time for the downshifts is horrid.

The flare being barely noticeable? You don't need keen senses to be annoyed by the rampant mystery throttle blips. In my G they are severe, almost 1,000 rpm, and twice. Must be first when shifting to 3rd, then again to 4th.

To each their own. I otherwise love the car, which is why this pisses me off so much. I just happen to drive a number of other sports sedans on a regular basis which hammer home the point that Nissan, er Infiniti has missed the mark with getting the 7AT to market.

I won't comment on your 2010. No way to know whether it was tweaked after 2009. Infiniti can be funny that way.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:57 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Sportiness & comfort don't usually come in the same package."

Seriously?

Have you even driven the 335i. I've driven two different model years of that sedan, both owned by friends, and those transmission are silky smooth and totally responsive. Heck, my Mom's 2005 G35's 5AT is far more enjoyable. Some of that may be due to the far more aggressive (and desirable IMHO) throttle tip in on that older car.
No I have not, the closest thing I've driven to a 335 is a 325. I've driven a variety of other cars, I4 / I4 turbo / small V6 / big V6 / regular ATX / DSG that shift smoother but they're mostly boring. The M35x 5AT I test drove even banged gear going from 2nd into 3rd.

In fact, if someone wishes to argue that the "jerkiness" comes from the fact that it's a sport transmission, then I would counter back that I would at least expect our G cars to shift in a more sporty manner. Having to leave it in DS, to not have the darned thing shift into seventh at 20mph. Seriously? Even in DS, the lag time for the downshifts is horrid.
No, I'm just saying once you flash it you lose that sportiness according to one of the thread floating around. That's the reason why I'm not getting mine reflashed. It doesn't shift into 7th in 20mph, I really hope that it does though.

The flare being barely noticeable? You don't need keen senses to be annoyed by the rampant mystery throttle blips. In my G they are severe, almost 1,000 rpm, and twice. Must be first when shifting to 3rd, then again to 4th.

To each their own. I otherwise love the car, which is why this pisses me off so much. I just happen to drive a number of other sports sedans on a regular basis which hammer home the point that Nissan, er Infiniti has missed the mark with getting the 7AT to market.

I won't comment on your 2010. No way to know whether it was tweaked after 2009. Infiniti can be funny that way.
It wasn't tweaked, I've driven my buddy's 2009 7AT G37x sedan and mine is just as jerky if not worse.

I'm just saying that your only options are:
1) Try some really good ATX fluid
2) Reflash it and lose the sportiness
3) Leave it the way it is
4) Trade it in for another car
5) Complain to Infiniti knowing that they won't do shxt about it

Last edited by devil2k; 04-30-2011 at 03:18 AM. Reason: screwed up on the quoting
Old 04-29-2011, 12:07 PM
4drScreamer

Originally Posted by movinon
I've put 10,500 miles on my 2010 and have no complaints with the 7 speed auto tranny.
Just had my 15,000 mile service on my '10 and no issues with my tranny. of course if there was some wood around, I would be knocking on it.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:29 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
I really have no complaints about mine. I have the latest reflash, a grounding kit (not sure if that actually helped or anything), and the Hypertech tuner.

I love this car.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:00 PM
doug.nash

Originally Posted by efuseakay
I really have no complaints about mine. I have the latest reflash, a grounding kit (not sure if that actually helped or anything), and the Hypertech tuner.

I love this car.
Ah. So, can you comment on how the latest re-flash (there are only two, right?) affected your car? Did it quell that damned flare? Anything else? Did it "kill the sportiness" as some have warned?

Also, what's a Hypertech tune? Some kind of ECM piggyback? Or something like the AccessPort stuff for WRX/EVO crowd?
Old 04-29-2011, 01:23 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Ah. So, can you comment on how the latest re-flash (there are only two, right?) affected your car? Did it quell that damned flare? Anything else? Did it "kill the sportiness" as some have warned?

Also, what's a Hypertech tune? Some kind of ECM piggyback? Or something like the AccessPort stuff for WRX/EVO crowd?
I only had the latest one applied... Plenty of sportiness when I want it. Then again, I have Stillen Gen 3 intakes, ERZ HFCs, and Fast Intentions catback.

It's a lot better in stop-and-go-traffic, that's for sure... but when I'm in the mood for some spirited driving, it's still a heck of a lot of fun!

Hypertech... There's a huge thread here:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...st-got-it.html

Their website:

http://hypertech.com/

Basically, this gives you a mild hp/tq tune, and you can remove the 0-60 throttle restriction... that in itself is huge, IMO.

This thing is great if you don't plan on getting a custom tune via UpRev.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:30 PM
doug.nash

Thanks for the links. I'll check those out.

But again, did you have that surge BEFORE the TSB reflash, and if so, did it go away after?

Also, and sorry for the dumb question, but what in the world is the 0-60 throttle restriction? I had never heard of that when I first got the car and frequented this forum.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:33 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gugarci
All I can say is that I have an 09 and I have never bothered to do any of the transmission re-flashes, and I'm not planning to do it either.
I have an 09 G37xS that was part of the first delivery batch to North America. I've never had any issues and haven't done any transmission flashes.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I think part if the "issue" with the 7AT issues are that they arent necessarily repeatable...not because some transmissions have issues and others dont, but because the driving conditions (and driver type/ability) are HUGE variables.

When I first picked up my car I had no lag, no flaring, etc. Drove it home 400 miles that day, but it was 99% highway driving. The lag, sort of flaring (not talking 1K rpm here), "confused" torque converter, etc really only show on city driving for me. Does it bother me? A little....if Im really annoyed Ill use the paddles to downshift for the car (you can do that in D mode also), otherwise Ill just drive.

Another variable in question is the "learning" portion. i.e. does it adjust shift points, slippage, etc based on how you are driving at the time. Im not 100% positive it even exists, but the transmission does seem to act sportier for a bit while Im "spirited" driving.

I do think there is some issue with the torque converter and/or its programming, not sure if Infiniti will ever correct it or not but I feel strongly thats where the lag is coming from.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:55 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Thanks for the links. I'll check those out.

But again, did you have that surge BEFORE the TSB reflash, and if so, did it go away after?

Also, and sorry for the dumb question, but what in the world is the 0-60 throttle restriction? I had never heard of that when I first got the car and frequented this forum.
Yeah I had the surge... especially under heavy braking. It's significantly toned down now. In a way I miss it, even though when it happened, it scared the bejeesus outta me!

0-60 throttle restriction... without a tune, any time you floor it under 60mph, you won't get up to redline. Of course, removing it with the HT or UpRev allows that.

Quick Reply: What's the current story with the 7AT???