Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

What's the current story with the 7AT???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 04:41 PM
carz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the one thing that still bothers me is the gear confusion in the 20mph area......i notice it while stuck in traffic. the car jerks back and fourth switching between gears
Old 05-03-2011, 08:18 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I drove an 08 G35Xs for about a year before I bought my 09 and I would rather have this gearbox. No auto is ever going to be perfect. Even the 5 speed auto on our old Accord even has a little bit of harshness during some down shifts when coming to a stop.

The 5 speed shifter smoother when coming to a stop than the 7 speed. But I don't think there's a dramatic difference between the 2 cars I owned. Plus without a doubt the 7 speeds give you better gas mileage.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
1st gear pulls tree stumps too.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:53 PM
TRZ06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the 11' Coupe and in my car, when in trffic, it doesn't like to downshift, it likes to lug until you floor it and then it drops 3 or 4 gears at once, no middle ground.

Both times, I have been in a sedan as a loaner and both behave as they should, with immediate downshift and middle ground. Also, from a stop especially in the morning, my coupe's torque converter likes to stick and it hesitates then jerks away. The sedan, smooth as butter.

WTF, why does the sedan's tranny behave better then the coupe's?
Old 05-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by TRZ06
I have the 11' Coupe and in my car, when in trffic, it doesn't like to downshift, it likes to lug until you floor it and then it drops 3 or 4 gears at once, no middle ground.

Both times, I have been in a sedan as a loaner and both behave as they should, with immediate downshift and middle ground. Also, from a stop especially in the morning, my coupe's torque converter likes to stick and it hesitates then jerks away. The sedan, smooth as butter.

WTF, why does the sedan's tranny behave better then the coupe's?
FYI - it doesnt.

The thinking is that loaners/rentals are driven harder, so the "adaptive" tranny doesnt adapt to less aggressive driving. I noticed the same thing in the loaner sedan that I had for a bit. My 2011 LE sedan is now showing the lag that everyone is complaining about. it gets a lot better if I start driving with some spirit (even in D mode it seems to help a little). But trust me, its not unique to the coupes.

The better question to ask is why no one with an M37 is complaining. Same engine, same tranny, even heavier car. Youd figure the lag would be even worse, but I dont see any complaints. Only thing I can think of is that most M37 owners arent in the car for sportiness as much as the luxury of it.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:16 PM
TRZ06

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
FYI - it doesnt.

The thinking is that loaners/rentals are driven harder, so the "adaptive" tranny doesnt adapt to less aggressive driving. I noticed the same thing in the loaner sedan that I had for a bit. My 2011 LE sedan is now showing the lag that everyone is complaining about. it gets a lot better if I start driving with some spirit (even in D mode it seems to help a little). But trust me, its not unique to the coupes.

The better question to ask is why no one with an M37 is complaining. Same engine, same tranny, even heavier car. Youd figure the lag would be even worse, but I dont see any complaints. Only thing I can think of is that most M37 owners arent in the car for sportiness as much as the luxury of it.
It is not just function, it is operation and smoothness as well. Mine is very jerky, all other cars I have been in are smooth in operation, not just better shift points and downshifting easier.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:48 AM
cervelo1

Just got my 2011G37x reflashed and its a huge improvement!! it's much more responsive in all gears and much sportier now.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:33 AM
clutch5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Seems there are some M37 tranny complaints:
M37 first impressions - Car Forums - Edmunds

but apparently not as many as with the G37.

Also see this review, in the "power and control" section:
2011 Infiniti M37 - New Car Review - AutoTrader.com
but it seems limited to eco mode.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:05 PM
CsG

When I first got my 2011 coupe it would lag a few times with hard acceleration in D mode. After a quick break in..I started driving in DS mode changing gears 6500-7K rpms. Now its a beast much smoother. The G just doesn't like slow traffic at low rpms..can't say I blame it.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:07 PM
_ant_

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
+1 ^^^
Old 05-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After the last flash (2nd re-flash) my "flare" from the 2-3 shift is gone, but the 3-4 is still there. Again, this "Flare" might only happen ONCE per drive...and only after the car is warm, shut off...and then driven again...say like after running into a store.

I do stil feel harsh downshift 3-2...but that is differnt than the original relash. That harsh downshift...was really just agressive...meaning, it would grab a lower gear to soon producing lots of engine braking. I could roll up to a stop sign without hitting the brakes...! LOL.

BTW: I've got it on film now so i'm going to post a video of it.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:32 PM
Mike S.

Check it out, watch it in HD because the 360 and 480 versions seem to exaggerate the flare..but its there..happens around 13-14 seconds on the shift to 4th.
YouTube - G37 7sp Auto
Old 05-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Mike S.

Again, I had just come out of a store...after being inside for 15 mins...there car was fully warmed up when I got there...This was on the drive out of the parking lot. Did not do this at all after this time.

Its a minor annoyance but still...this 7sp is picky. It blows my mind that car reviewers rave about the "brilliant 7sp"...
Old 05-17-2011, 12:03 PM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by djayash
My 2011 G37X is 3000 miles old...I sometimes see the downshifting problems when I take the leg off the throttle to slow down from abt 35 mph....it limps to stop...Also, when accelerating from a full stop, the throttle response is pathetic....Even on a 2500 to 3000 rpm, it takes ages to get to 40 mph....Does the TSB fix these issues?
do you know if your 2011 already has the tsb? my 2010 has no problems accelerating from a stop. it shifts very quick and efficient during hard acceleration from 1st gear like a performance oriented trans should. i think this is one area where i think the 7 AT is fantastic.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:11 PM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sound familiar? seems like no auto trans can be perfect. even on a 100k bmw.

"During that second service, we complained that the transmission had shown a tendency to slam into first gear while the car was coasting to a stop. The problem was intermittent and could not be re-created by our dealer’s technicians"

2010 BMW 750Li xDrive - Long-Term Test - Car and Driver

Quick Reply: What's the current story with the 7AT???