Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Upshifting/Accelerating Jerk?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 12:35 AM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Upshifting/Accelerating Jerk?

once in awhile when i accelerate and the car is upshifting through gears i will almost feel a little jerk. it happens once in awhile. does anyone know what this could be. Its not a huge jerk but just enough to feel something once in awhile.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Noremac

I've experienced the same thing and have wondered what it is, and if it can be resolved. Are you AWD?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:18 AM
danno62

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jerky X

Same here...I've got an X. Must be part of this car's "soul".
Old 10-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

yes i have an AWD. G37xS. its funny i still don't know when my car is on AWD vs rear wheel. do u have to manually put it in? or does it go in automatically? also whats the snow button for? is that how u put it to AWD?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:02 PM
SindhiStyle

Originally Posted by Infiniti7
yes i have an AWD. G37xS. its funny i still don't know when my car is on AWD vs rear wheel. do u have to manually put it in? or does it go in automatically? also whats the snow button for? is that how u put it to AWD?

The car basically drives in RWD unless it detects any slipping. (Yes it does this automatically, nothing that you have to do) The "snow" button is basically when you have snow on the ground. LOL If I remember correctly the car puts more power to the front wheels when starting from a stop up until 20 some miles per hour when in snow mode. Its ALL in the manual, just flip through it.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:03 AM
KLB

Snow mode:
For driving or starting the vehicle on snowy
roads or slippery areas, turn on the SNOW
mode switch. The indicator light on the switch
will illuminate. When the SNOW mode is activated,
engine output is controlled to avoid
wheel spin.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:39 PM
use2vw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Next time you jerks go for service at the dealership have them reflash your trans/ecu with the updated "B" reprogram...It's not something that Infiniti is advertising, but I had exact same issues with my '10 37x...IT was done under warrantee and no charge. After the flash - car drives 99x better! For a while I hated myself for going 7AT...but after the reflash it's MUCH MORE tolerable.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
use2vw: I don't take to kindly to being called a "jerk" on the forum. Or are you referring to the Thread Headline - Upshifting/Accelrating Jerk?. Most Folks here are more or less knowledgeable about their new cars. I've tried to stay in the loop as much as possible. I did with my 07 G35X and will continue to be in the Loop with my 2010 G37X.

You offer the "B" Reflash - my dealer says there is nothing out there about this. At least per my latest complaint about 3-4 weeks ago. I've steadily made comments all over this Forum about the 7 AT - its jerkiness, lagging response, too much gear hunting - it seems to have "died' with any further comments, until I stumbled on this.

Can you point us "jerks" in the right direction on the TSB? I'm very anxious to enhance and correct the performance issue and be Happy like you. THX

Last edited by Almatti; 10-29-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Neal376

I can also be normal

the drive shaft on any car will turn a few centimeters in any directions before it hits the ring teeth in the differential. this is the "thud" that his heard/felt on manual transmission cars when engaging the clutch from a standstill, or when changing gears.

this same noise is only heard on automatic cars when changing gears since you already take up the slack in the drive train when you shift into D (and you have your foot on the brake pedal)

in manual tranny cars you can replicate the noise by putting the car in gear, and rocking it back and forth. in autos you will have to crawl underneath the car (in N) and rock the driveshaft back and forth to see this trait.

ohh and the more the backlash, the more the "jerk" or "thud". All time all wheel drive vehicles are notorious for this
Old 10-29-2010, 07:03 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by use2vw
Next time you jerks go for service at the dealership have them reflash your trans/ecu with the updated "B" reprogram...It's not something that Infiniti is advertising, but I had exact same issues with my '10 37x...IT was done under warrantee and no charge. After the flash - car drives 99x better! For a while I hated myself for going 7AT...but after the reflash it's MUCH MORE tolerable.
There was a TSB for a tranny reflash on early 09 models, is this a new one since then? Once the TSB was released, new 09's made after that didn't need the flash, and I assume the 10's don't as well.

So this is a new-new flash? Can the 09 get it?
Old 10-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Tinsley, that's what I have been told: The 2010 is Up to date - there is no current reflash of the ECU. My Dealer service advisor - a very nice guy btw - says "it is what it is"....Just enjoy the car. Overall, the car is great, EXCEPT for this new 7AT, too "jerky" and too much lag (but that's a throttle issue more than a tranny issue).