Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Aftermarket Clutch/Flywheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 04:01 PM
1SiCkG
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok so personally i am going to add from experience about clutch that i had with the vq37hr motor... i originally ordered myself a JWT clutch when i called up to order it they almost kissed my *** for ordering i PURPOSLY asked them do i need a flywheel because i was ordering a organic clutch they convinced me that i dont blah blahhhh...welll wrong because the spring on the hub is too farr off from the stock flywheel... i called them they said everythign will be ok once i tighten the clutch in the teeth will grab on their own which i went ahead and did.... well guess what bull**** once again i finally got in touch with the owner and he gave me 10000 run around about how i should go about it which at the end of the day was all bull****... nothin worked and after 3 weeks i found myself driving my car and shifting without a clutch because the pedal was down to the floor yet the car still moved but not clutch... by the time i made it to my shop (4 miles away) my flywheel was done for.... basically id like to sayy f u c k JWT and everything they build is garbage... when icalled the owner and told him abotu my problem the guy tells me "oh well then why didnt u order the flywheel from the get go u get what u pay for, and after i told him i was told i dont need it for a organic clutch he goes listen go buy another brand your money isnt worth the headach to us" i said ok no problem so your gonna give me money back for the clutch not even saying anythign abotu my broken flywheel.. he goes nope and hangs up....

after the whole situtation i basically spent money on nothing 3 weeks worth or driving

i went ahead and ordered myself a stage 2 exedy clutch and lightened flywheel because at this point i needed both..... sold the clutch for 100$. after installing it i noticed a huge difference in quality between the clutches... #1 ededy dosnt have that annoying chatter noise like the oem and JWT also the pull is amazing.... i used to be a huge fan of ACT but now i will never get anything but EXEDY products for that matter if i had a chance to shut down JWT i would because the **** they make is garbage... and aneone who disagrees just dosnt knwo the feel of other REAL companies... cause JWT is a joke..and their customer service would get them bitch slapped if i had this dude tellin me this to my face...

anyways save the time , money and bad mood for your self and go with EXEDY .
Old 12-18-2010, 04:02 PM
1SiCkG
Banned

if u have any other questions pm me again..
Old 12-18-2010, 07:48 PM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1SiCkG
i went ahead and ordered myself a stage 2 exedy clutch and lightened flywheel because at this point i needed both..... sold the clutch for 100$. after installing it i noticed a huge difference in quality between the clutches... #1 ededy dosnt have that annoying chatter noise like the oem and JWT also the pull is amazing.... i used to be a huge fan of ACT but now i will never get anything but EXEDY products for that matter if i had a chance to shut down JWT i would because the **** they make is garbage... and aneone who disagrees just dosnt knwo the feel of other REAL companies... cause JWT is a joke..and their customer service would get them bitch slapped if i had this dude tellin me this to my face...

Well actually it was more like $250....to me. And thanks for the 411 on the clutch, that definetly wasn't the story when you were unloading it on me.
I haven't had any issues with it, I've done 6k+ miles with it with 400+ whp.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:48 PM
micsky

Does anyone know if there is a Nismo Clutch Kit for the G37 and have any experience with it?
Old 01-05-2011, 12:36 PM
QuickSilver08

Is the southbend clutch yall are referring to the same guy that does the clutches for the dodge/ford/chevy diesel trucks? If so then that's freaking sweet cause his stuff is awesome behind those trucks.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:14 AM
infamousstunna1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok so personally i am going to add from experience about clutch that i had with the vq37hr motor... i originally ordered myself a JWT clutch when i called up to order it they almost kissed my *** for ordering i PURPOSLY asked them do i need a flywheel because i was ordering a organic clutch they convinced me that i dont blah blahhhh...welll wrong because the spring on the hub is too farr off from the stock flywheel... i called them they said everythign will be ok once i tighten the clutch in the teeth will grab on their own which i went ahead and did.... well guess what bull**** once again i finally got in touch with the owner and he gave me 10000 run around about how i should go about it which at the end of the day was all bull****... nothin worked and after 3 weeks i found myself driving my car and shifting without a clutch because the pedal was down to the floor yet the car still moved but not clutch... by the time i made it to my shop (4 miles away) my flywheel was done for.... basically id like to sayy f u c k JWT and everything they build is garbage... when icalled the owner and told him abotu my problem the guy tells me "oh well then why didnt u order the flywheel from the get go u get what u pay for, and after i told him i was told i dont need it for a organic clutch he goes listen go buy another brand your money isnt worth the headach to us" i said ok no problem so your gonna give me money back for the clutch not even saying anythign abotu my broken flywheel.. he goes nope and hangs up....

after the whole situtation i basically spent money on nothing 3 weeks worth or driving

This is messed-up on so many levels!
That guy actually told you to go with another brand and to stop bugging him....really messed-up!
Wow.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:05 PM
ray125

Suprised that JWT did not recommend you getting a new flywheel. When you replace a clutch you have to resurface your flywheel or purchase a new one. And for any dual mass flywheel you must replace it with a new OEM or single mass flywheel because it cannot be resurfaced. That's a shame how JWT screwed you over.

Where did you purchase the Exedy clutch and flywheel from??

Also it's impressive that the Exedy setup you have does not chatter that much, especially when using a puck style clutch disc.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:24 PM
myg37inLA

Hi, noob here. Any different or other suggestions if i'm only driving in daily conditions with high traffic, i.e. Los Angeles traffic?
Old 01-20-2011, 04:05 PM
usndocgreen

Originally Posted by myg37inLA
Hi, noob here. Any different or other suggestions if i'm only driving in daily conditions with high traffic, i.e. Los Angeles traffic?
So what are you looking for? Does your G have mods? If not the stock clutch is probably your best bet. After a lot of research, a good bit of which I listed here, I've heard the best things about OS Giken. Also Clutchmasters seems to be a good option. These are only necessary if you are dramatically increasing your HP and Tq. A lighter flywheel can make a higher revving engine and be a nice addition but personally if I am going to be paying someone to get up in my tranny I am gonna do it when I am ready for an upgraded clutch as well!!
Old 01-22-2011, 01:24 AM
kevinhorn

I recently pur. a used 09 G37 S sedan with a manual tranny. Took the car in last week to the dealer to see what they could do to adjust the clutch. They told me they did what they could. It is easier to drive, but I'm wondering that I might be happier with a new clutch. This car is a daily driver, and will be pampered. Thoughts on what clutch I need to look at? What will the cost be? Would the dealer do this, or will I need to find a garage? Just look for something easier to drive. I would appreciate any thoughts.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Greggski

Try this. It increases pedal feel and helps to shift smoother. Also, it is free and easy to do and reverse if you don't like it.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...a-feeling.html

Originally Posted by kevinhorn
I recently pur. a used 09 G37 S sedan with a manual tranny. Took the car in last week to the dealer to see what they could do to adjust the clutch. They told me they did what they could. It is easier to drive, but I'm wondering that I might be happier with a new clutch. This car is a daily driver, and will be pampered. Thoughts on what clutch I need to look at? What will the cost be? Would the dealer do this, or will I need to find a garage? Just look for something easier to drive. I would appreciate any thoughts.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:44 AM
infamousstunna1

May somebody please chime in on the difference between the stage 3 and 4 clutches from Clutch Masters. Pros and cons please.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:52 PM
usndocgreen

Yes

Originally Posted by QuickSilver08
Is the southbend clutch yall are referring to the same guy that does the clutches for the dodge/ford/chevy diesel trucks? If so then that's freaking sweet cause his stuff is awesome behind those trucks.
Yes these are the guys that do diesels as well as dragsters... some serious power put to the wheels....
Old 02-08-2011, 05:08 PM
usndocgreen

The difference

Originally Posted by infamousstunna1
May somebody please chime in on the difference between the stage 3 and 4 clutches from Clutch Masters. Pros and cons please.
So this is not from personal experience but research only as well as opinions of others what have used the Stage 3 and 4 systems on other types of cars.

Main differnces here:
Clamping force: when you move to the Stage 4 clutch you are moving to a puck setup instead of a solid disk. These setups are able to handle much higher amounts of force when engaged. While I dont know the Newtons or PSI of the force difference here, but Clutchmasters on their website shows the Stage 3 can handle 110% over stock where the Stage 4 is more like 170%
Drivability: If you think the stock clutch is bad then moving to a Stage 4 setup would be a nightmare. These are ON/OFF systems with a very narrow range of engagement.
Durability: The puck setup is reported to be less durable than a single disc system and will need to be replaced more frequently
Indications: Clutchmasters recommends the Stage 4 for track racing setups only. Thank HARD launches, Drag racing etc. Some people did report using the stage 4 for autocross like events with multiple stops and hard starts, but otherwise it is much better to stick with the Stage 3!!

Soooooo....All that being said, I think unless you want to drag your car repeatedly after heavily modding it and do not plan on driving it around town at all then Stage 3 is the way to go for a more aggressive clutch. Hope this helps. If you were looking for something more technical in nature let me know and I will see what I can dig up!
Old 02-08-2011, 06:06 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
i think this will be your best bet i had one in another one of my cars and loved it

ACT Clutch Kit with Heavy Duty Pressure Plate and Performance Organic Street Disc

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Clutch/Flywheels