Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Is clutch chatter normal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 02:12 PM
jabrother

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My '96 240sx has a very long clutch travel but it's smooth as ever and still on all original hardware with 230k miles! (of course it's dealing with about 100 less ft lb of torque!)
Old 10-01-2010, 02:21 PM
DanMardik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's NOT normal, but Infiniti fails to do anything about it hence convincing everyone that this is a normal thing. BULL****
Old 10-01-2010, 08:33 PM
RadMav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch chatter

Originally Posted by rokuss
The clutch was redesigned b/c of all the people that ruined their clutches and transmissions in the G35s. If you can't drive a manual, stick with the automatic!!! I had over 92K on my g35 and was still on the factory clutch and transmission.
Strange how a comment on the functional design generates comments on ones driving ability. The point was that the clutch can be engaged smoothly, you just need adapt to the travel. In Feb. of 08 there was a very long on going thread on this very topic. Having driven a wide variety of vehicles, the clutch on the G37 is one of the more challenging to engage smoothly. I have never had to replace an original clutch and 280Z, and Toyota Supra both had more than 140k miles on them.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:20 PM
jack1969

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jabrother
I think this is pretty normal. I bought a late 08 6MT and it was smooth when brand new but soon became "chattery" especially when hot. It also had varying pressure at different times, I think also from heat issues. One of the master techs came out and looked at it and just sat in the car and pressed the clutch and instantly said yeah your pressure is way harder than our new cars out on the ground. So they replaced the pressure plate I believe and it was better then new after that. After about 10k more miles it is still pretty decent in normal driving but when hot it gets chattery and hard to engage smoothly.

One trick I discovered on our 08 cars is that my floor mat was moving around and actually interfering with working the pedals properly. I pulled out the mat and it was much easier to drive the car smoothly. I'm looking into buying one of those weather tech mats but for the moment it's a lot easier to drive without the mat in there. On the 09+ cars, they added a 2nd hinge on the drivers side mat which obviously helps keep it in place better. The 08 cars have only one hinge on the left side of the mat, so the right side tends to move around and get up into the gas pedal even a little. Another thing to check is to make sure that you have the latest gas pedal programming. An overly aggressive throttle tune would make it very difficult to drive smoothly.

Good luck!!
My 05 Tacoma had the same clutch shatter problem, just started at 44,000 miles, and went to the dealer, first thing he saw was my floor mat, aftermarket floor mat that was too thick and not allowing me to press the clutch peddal all the way down. I took his advice and took it out, and so far so good, hard to believe but it's working correctly right now.
I'll update this if things change...
Old 02-04-2011, 01:38 AM
jabrother

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jack1969
My 05 Tacoma had the same clutch shatter problem, just started at 44,000 miles, and went to the dealer, first thing he saw was my floor mat, aftermarket floor mat that was too thick and not allowing me to press the clutch peddal all the way down. I took his advice and took it out, and so far so good, hard to believe but it's working correctly right now.
I'll update this if things change...
My late build '08 G37 has 24k miles now and the clutch has recently started to chatter esp when hot and even slip a little. It's currently at the Infiniti dealer and they're seeing if they can diagnose it. It's been about 12k miles since partial clutch replacement. I think it's just the design of the clutch and probably not much that can be done. I don't think there is a risk of failure but I thought I would try to take care of it just in case while it's still under warranty! Good luck everybody! BTW, been driving a G37 sedan 7AT today and noticed the gas mileage on the hiway is just about 2-3 mpg better than my 6MT. Amazing!
Old 02-04-2011, 02:28 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
^ interesting. definitely keep us updated. i have the same issue. but my clutch assembly replacements only been 5,000 miles. i have the same chatter and the same "wheel hop feeling" which was, on the previous assembly, form a poorly seated flywheel. dealership doesn't believe me. or has suggested i make it worse so that they can rediagnose it. ugh...
Old 11-10-2015, 03:32 PM
redlinernyc

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know this is a bump for an old post but I'm experiencing a similar issue with my 2014 Nismo 370z. When the car is hot and has been driven for some time, starting off in 1st gear sometimes results in a rattle when I ease off the clutch pedal and give gas. This NEVER happens with the car is cold and driven for a half hour or so. It usually happens after about an hour or so of driving, more specifically, stop and go traffic where 1st and 2nd gear are used more. Here is a video

It happens between 0:02 - 0:04 second mark. Do you G37 guys experience the same thing with a hot car?