Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Is clutch chatter normal?

Old 09-24-2010, 12:50 PM
usndocgreen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my clutch

So..
After reading this I have to ask about my clutch. I got my 08 used with 16k miles on it. Ever since I bout it 1st and 2nd have never been smooth..very jerky. I have assumed that is similar to other people's problems but I am begining to wonder. I have driven standars before and this is kind of silly. I can not let the clutch out slowly in first without the car shuddering and dieing. I find myself engaging first between 1-2k rpm which i know cant be good in the long run. So.... please help.. is this normal??
Old 09-24-2010, 01:30 PM
jabrother

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by usndocgreen
So..
After reading this I have to ask about my clutch. I got my 08 used with 16k miles on it. Ever since I bout it 1st and 2nd have never been smooth..very jerky. I have assumed that is similar to other people's problems but I am begining to wonder. I have driven standars before and this is kind of silly. I can not let the clutch out slowly in first without the car shuddering and dieing. I find myself engaging first between 1-2k rpm which i know cant be good in the long run. So.... please help.. is this normal??
I think this is pretty normal. I bought a late 08 6MT and it was smooth when brand new but soon became "chattery" especially when hot. It also had varying pressure at different times, I think also from heat issues. One of the master techs came out and looked at it and just sat in the car and pressed the clutch and instantly said yeah your pressure is way harder than our new cars out on the ground. So they replaced the pressure plate I believe and it was better then new after that. After about 10k more miles it is still pretty decent in normal driving but when hot it gets chattery and hard to engage smoothly.

One trick I discovered on our 08 cars is that my floor mat was moving around and actually interfering with working the pedals properly. I pulled out the mat and it was much easier to drive the car smoothly. I'm looking into buying one of those weather tech mats but for the moment it's a lot easier to drive without the mat in there. On the 09+ cars, they added a 2nd hinge on the drivers side mat which obviously helps keep it in place better. The 08 cars have only one hinge on the left side of the mat, so the right side tends to move around and get up into the gas pedal even a little. Another thing to check is to make sure that you have the latest gas pedal programming. An overly aggressive throttle tune would make it very difficult to drive smoothly.

Good luck!!
Old 09-24-2010, 08:25 PM
bigwill0815

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So..
I was experiencing the same noise and jerky ride... went to the dealer, they put in a new throw out baring and then said they ordered me a tranny and they put that in this week... Ever since i got my car back it is so much smoother, quieter and feels like a new car again. I only have 11k on my car! Service guy said that some 08 VIN's were bad and needed trannys/clutch/throwout baring. Def. get that checked!
Old 09-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Atlanta_G37S
Banned

Originally Posted by bigwill0815
I was experiencing the same noise and jerky ride... went to the dealer, they put in a new throw out baring and then said they ordered me a tranny and they put that in this week... Ever since i got my car back it is so much smoother, quieter and feels like a new car again. I only have 11k on my car! Service guy said that some 08 VIN's were bad and needed trannys/clutch/throwout baring. Def. get that checked!

How much did that run you?
Old 09-27-2010, 02:21 PM
usndocgreen

Dealer appt

So,
I talked to the dealer and I am taking the car in tonight for them to look at it tomorrow. Will let you know what happens.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Atlanta_G37S
Banned

So,
I talked to the dealer and I am taking the car in tonight for them to look at it tomorrow. Will let you know what happens.
I will be curious to see how much this is going to cost you.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:53 PM
jabrother

I think within reason most dealers will cover clutch problems under warranty if it's less than 20k miles or so, at least I would hope so!! I do think clutch chatter is inevitable with these cars, for some reason. As long as it's not too bad or slipping I think you're OK.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Atlanta_G37S
Banned

Originally Posted by jabrother
I think within reason most dealers will cover clutch problems under warranty if it's less than 20k miles or so, at least I would hope so!! I do think clutch chatter is inevitable with these cars, for some reason. As long as it's not too bad or slipping I think you're OK.
As long as you bought from them....if you bought else where and take it into a dealer and complain I'm pretty sure they are going to ask you fork over big $$$$ or tell you to kick rocks and warranty dont cover poo.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:06 PM
usndocgreen

Dealership reports normal

So...
The chatter I am hearing is normal for the car so I was told by the tech who seemed to know what he was talking about. I guess its just the first manual I have driven with significant horsepower under the hood. I dunno. Hope I get used to this transmission soon!! Eventually I want to go FI but that requires a clutch upgrade and thats bound to be less forgiving that stock!
Old 09-28-2010, 12:17 AM
jabrother

So...
The chatter I am hearing is normal for the car so I was told by the tech who seemed to know what he was talking about. I guess its just the first manual I have driven with significant horsepower under the hood. I dunno. Hope I get used to this transmission soon!! Eventually I want to go FI but that requires a clutch upgrade and thats bound to be less forgiving that stock!
I'm no expert, but from owning an '05 350Z, '07 G35, and now my 08 G37, I've had some amount of chatter with all of them from time to time. If it's severe then yeah you've got a problem but otherwise I think you'll just have to live with it!
Old 09-28-2010, 11:40 AM
majin ssj eric

One of the main reasons I went with the 7AT the second time around. Takeoff is smooth as silk now!
Old 09-30-2010, 03:03 PM
kschwar1

So the DTS came, immediately noticed all of the problems I was complaining of on my car, and some I didnt, and offered to replace the trans, clutch assembly, flywheel, all bearings etc... I am glad someone stepped up and vouched for this. The problems were obvious...
Old 09-30-2010, 04:37 PM
jabrother

Originally Posted by kschwar1
This will be the third trans service and the cars 6th trip to a dealer for transmission problems. They seem to notice every other time...

First visit from previous owner came 600 miles before I was sold the car. The dealer couldnt duplicate it so he traded it in. I had the car for 500 miles and noticed the problems, and they found a warped flywheel. A year later the slave cylinder went, and 2k miles after the slave cylinder the transmission went... Car is now 2 years old and is on its 4th clutch, 3rd flywheel, second trans etc...
How many miles do you have? Are they replacing with upgraded parts or the same old crap?
Old 10-01-2010, 12:51 PM
RadMav

Is clutch chatter normal

This issue goes way back to when the G37's first came out in '08. The clutch pedal has real long travel alot of people have trouble engaging it smoothly. Even people who've drive manual for a long time. You can try engaging it with more RPM (maybe between 1500-2700) that usually results in a smooth engagement, however it wears the clutch faster.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:11 PM
rokuss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RadMav
This issue goes way back to when the G37's first came out in '08. The clutch pedal has real long travel alot of people have trouble engaging it smoothly. Even people who've drive manual for a long time. You can try engaging it with more RPM (maybe between 1500-2700) that usually results in a smooth engagement, however it wears the clutch faster.
The clutch was redesigned b/c of all the people that ruined their clutches and transmissions in the G35s. If you can't drive a manual, stick with the automatic!!! I had over 92K on my g35 and was still on the factory clutch and transmission.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is clutch chatter normal?