Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Is clutch chatter normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 01:06 AM
AUC2MIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is clutch chatter normal?

I've searched but with minimal results...
I recently purchased an 08 6MT and I can't seem to get a smooth, rattle-less take-off for the life of me, especially at lower RPM take-offs...Is this normal for this car? Or is this a sign that clutch is done? Maybe I'm just not revving enough on 1st gear take-offs? I try to keep the RPMs around 1200-1300
Old 06-10-2010, 01:33 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Yes, it is perfectly normal.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:13 AM
GT35R
Registered Member

Normal. Mine chatters a lot
Old 06-10-2010, 09:10 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really normal? I know the G35 guys had problems with clutch chatter, but I didn't think it was a problem on the G37. I've driven several G37's and none of them even had a hint of clutch chatter.

BTW, are you sure you're hearing/feeling clutch chatter? It's not really the same thing as a rattle. It is easier to feel clutch chatter than it is to hear it. If you really want to determine if you have clutch chatter, the easiest way is to apply the parking brake and bring the clutch out just to the point of engagement. If you don't feel the chatter in your left leg, then the car doesn't have any clutch chatter.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I think the clutch chatter is present after like a break in period. I never heard it when I first got the car. But noticed it like a month or 2 after. But I'm used to it now.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:00 AM
michaels20000

If clutch chatter is normal then Im glad I got a AT.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:54 AM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you try to engage it at much lower RPM like 900?

I don't know if I agree with that fact that it's "normal". It's definitely common but sometimes just because it is common doesn't mean that it's normal. I know someone locally that have gotten their tranny replaced because of the chatter. No more chatter with the new tranny.

I've tried to raise the issue with my dealership a long time ago but they always came back with the "if there's nothing wrong, we'd have to charge you $500 for the labor, sign here please". Maybe when I feel like it again, I'll gather some evidence and give it another shot. But I definitely try to make a case with them to at least document the issue + whenever I have complaints about my tranny. So in case anything fails in the future, I'd have something to go by.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:08 AM
rokuss

I've had clutch chatter very few times. Try pushing in your clutch and without using the gas pedal, let your clutch out to let your car creep a few feet. If its chattering, you've got problems. When I do that on my car, it smoothly creeps along. My clutch disk, pressure plate and flywheel are smooth as buttah.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Can you try to engage it at much lower RPM like 900?

I don't know if I agree with that fact that it's "normal". It's definitely common but sometimes just because it is common doesn't mean that it's normal. I know someone locally that have gotten their tranny replaced because of the chatter. No more chatter with the new tranny.

I've tried to raise the issue with my dealership a long time ago but they always came back with the "if there's nothing wrong, we'd have to charge you $500 for the labor, sign here please". Maybe when I feel like it again, I'll gather some evidence and give it another shot. But I definitely try to make a case with them to at least document the issue + whenever I have complaints about my tranny. So in case anything fails in the future, I'd have something to go by.

I believe it could be a tranny issue since Dealerships never in my experience want to fix a transmission issue. I had a Jag x-type before had lurching issues with tranny 2nd to 3rd gear. All dealership said was it was common on all cars but needed an update flash on tranny ECU. Well the problem came back after a few days. After 3 times more to dealership outside of its warranty and paying over hundreds of dollars for these flashes I got one more flash and drove the car out of the dealership right into Carmax and sold that piece-o-sht car ASAP! Yeah I lost $4,000 on private sales but I wasnt going to pay $7,200 for new tranny! Ive had transmissions lurch before in my hot rodding days and its a sign of a failing tranny period. So I took my loss and bailed and got this G Manual this time. Done with autos!

So far on the G I've complained about gear noise, how fifth gear is a pain in the a$$ to get into etc. They tell me same ole sht every time. Its normal, dont worry its under warranty. I will get an extended warranty regardless on the car since I plan on keeping it 100,000+ miles. I dont trust any tranny today past 60,000 miles.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:52 PM
AUC2MIC

Originally Posted by rokuss
I've had clutch chatter very few times. Try pushing in your clutch and without using the gas pedal, let your clutch out to let your car creep a few feet. If its chattering, you've got problems. When I do that on my car, it smoothly creeps along. My clutch disk, pressure plate and flywheel are smooth as buttah.
Yup, I don't think I am able to creep w/o chattering/shaking regardless of how slowly I let out the clutch... Might bring this issue up with the dealership
Old 06-10-2010, 02:39 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by rokuss
I've never seen intermittent clutch chatter. From my experience, a car either has it or it doesn't.... But I do agree that all of the G37's I've driven have had completely smooth clutch engagement. Unfortunately, that engagement has been on the high side of the clutch travel, but that's another issue altogether...
Old 06-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Namir
Registered Member

I'm sure I could just google clutch chatter but can someone who knows what it feels like on the G explain it to me on our cars? My clutch is pretty noisy and I've driven a lot of other manuals that haven't felt this way. Both my friend with an R32 and another with an E46 M3 agree that my clutch makes a lot of vibrations when its engaging 1st almost like it' stalling out but it happens around 1000-1300 RPM and I'm pretty sure its not stalling, because I can start off around 800RPM and still not stall or feel the same vibrations. Is that "chatter" ?
Old 06-10-2010, 09:08 PM
MSCA
Banned

It's hard to describe clutch chatter (to me, anyway), but if you have it, you'll know it. Try what I said earlier: Engage your parking brake. Put the car into first gear. Slowly let the clutch out until you feel it start to engage (but don't stall the car). If everything feels and sounds smooth, you don't have clutch chatter. If you feel/hear vibrations coming from the clutch pedal (not the shifter), then you do have some clutch chatter.

BTW, these manual transmissions are known for quite a bit of vibration in the shifter, but that really has nothing to do with clutch chatter.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:54 AM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
It's hard to describe clutch chatter (to me, anyway), but if you have it, you'll know it. Try what I said earlier: Engage your parking brake. Put the car into first gear. Slowly let the clutch out until you feel it start to engage (but don't stall the car). If everything feels and sounds smooth, you don't have clutch chatter. If you feel/hear vibrations coming from the clutch pedal (not the shifter), then you do have some clutch chatter.

BTW, these manual transmissions are known for quite a bit of vibration in the shifter, but that really has nothing to do with clutch chatter.
Shouldn't you be able to hear clutch chatter while sitting in idle? Mine does it occasionally when I'm sitting at a stop light or I'm pulling into my driveway. Chatter goes away when I push my clutch in, but when I let it go, it makes the noise. Kind of sounds like putting two dice into a tin can and shaking it around. It's annoying at times because the car sounds cheap. I haven't noticed it as much lately, but that may be because I have th radio on.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:27 AM
AUC2MIC

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
Shouldn't you be able to hear clutch chatter while sitting in idle? Mine does it occasionally when I'm sitting at a stop light or I'm pulling into my driveway. Chatter goes away when I push my clutch in, but when I let it go, it makes the noise. Kind of sounds like putting two dice into a tin can and shaking it around. It's annoying at times because the car sounds cheap. I haven't noticed it as much lately, but that may be because I have th radio on.
I think there may be another term for that... clutch chatter is during take-off from 1st (and sometimes 2nd)

Quick Reply: Is clutch chatter normal?