Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

4.08 Final Drive = OMG

Old 04-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
This is a subject I've looked into a little. Word is the carrier assembly is different between the autos and manuals. The gears fit the larger housing (manual) but not the smaller one (auto). Meaning you would have to swap out the whole rearend. There is also talk about the cruise control not working after the swap for the auto but either no one knows why are they just aren't saying. A lot of this is correct information for the G35/350Z from a few years ago but I don't know if it's true for the G37/370Z or if it's just info carried forward.

I would do this mod in a heartbeat if it didn't effect cruise control. If I disabled cruise control on Her car I don't think she would ever let me touch it again.

This would cost me over two grand to do this mod as well. New or used carrier assembly from a manual, gears and parts, labor for install, and a new LSD. The aftermarket LSD's start at like a grand. I'd do almost all the labor except setting the gears. One of the other sites had a great post showing all the differentials available and the pros and cons of each but I can't find it again.
I don't understand why Nissan would change the diff housing between the auto and manual models. I mean the 6MT and the 5AT both have a stock 3.69:1 FD while the 7AT has a 3.36:1 FD. can you confirm whether the difference in housing size is for ALL auto's or just the 7AT? It would make sense if Nissan used a smaller housing on the 7AT since a 3.36:1 ratio would mean the ring and pinion gears would probably have different dimensions.

On another note, is the diff housing different from previous model G's and Z's? If they're the same, then swapping out the diff housing (assuming the mounting points and the splines on the input and output shafts are the same) should be easy and relatively cheap.

And one final question, is the spline on the pinion the same for both auto and manual?
Old 04-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Tainui

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Having the TT I was thinking of going just the opposite direction. The trans feels so short in gears as it is. First-fourth is just a few seconds.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Q8y_drifter

If you have a 5AT or 6MT, then a 3.36 FD swap from a 7AT will increase both MPG and help traction (assuming the gears fit)
Old 04-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
I was looking into a longer gears as well for TT. However, it seems like unless you have 500+whp, you'll feel like you've lost torque.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by planoyzfr1
I don't believe anywhere did i speak of unlimited traction? Was there a typo somewhere in my post? My point here was that unless you are traction limited gears will increase your acceleration 99% of the time (yes you can get stupid with all things including gearing like going too high causing your gears to be so short that you actually lose time due to excessive shifting). Now the method that your car creates that power weather it's supercharging, turbos, NOS, or stroker motors makes almost no difference as long as it's designed well. I was merely pointing out that anyone who makes generalizations like "Gears are terrible for turbos, but great for superchargers" doesn't have any idea what they are talking about.

Spinning your tires in first gear is not the same as being traction limited. Unless you are consistently having trouble keeping traction in the first 3 gears you can usually improve acceleration by increasing the gear ratio. If you are honestly having this much traction issues (which I highly doubt since my 600hp blown V8 in the z06 didn't have this much trouble) you should probably look at reducing the gear ratios.

My experience comes from 15 years of working on cars in my own garage with my own hands. I'm not sure what "big boy's toys" you are referring to but my last 2 cars were both blown V8s. A 95 5.0 mustang with Vortech and the last was an 03 Z06 with a Paxton that I traded in for the G - I still miss the Z06

Anyway - It seems maybe there was some misunderstanding .. my post was just meant to educate on gear ratios, it seems that this is a relatively new topic for G/Z owners but it's one that I have a lot of personal experience with.

Happy Motoring

-C
Well, its okay. My bad for getting aggressive. I just didnt think it was fair for you to give names to people from other forums without ever visiting them. Most of the ideas that guys get on this forum are from their experience in 350z's and G35's. This very idea of using 4.08 gears in the final drive also originated from my350z.

Last edited by Modme; 04-26-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
I don't understand why Nissan would change the diff housing between the auto and manual models. I mean the 6MT and the 5AT both have a stock 3.69:1 FD while the 7AT has a 3.36:1 FD. can you confirm whether the difference in housing size is for ALL auto's or just the 7AT?
I don't understand why they use two different housing either. So my answer to your first question is, "I don't know." I do know the book has two completely different sections for the auto and manual rearend disassembly and they read the exact same.

I can't confirm anything yet on the different housing compared to the 7sp auto, but it's not just the 7sp, it's all auto. The G37/370Z 5sp auto, the G37/370Z 7sp auto, the G35/350Z 5sp auto. This is all info I've gotten off the other forums.

It would make sense if Nissan used a smaller housing on the 7AT since a 3.36:1 ratio would mean the ring and pinion gears would probably have different dimensions.
No, it doesn't make sense, the smaller ratio does not mean they HAVE to change dimensions of the ring and pinion. The Ford 9" rearend has dozens of ratios to select from and they all are sized to fit in the same housing. Yes, there may be very small differences in some certain sizes but the they still fit inside the housing.

On another note, is the diff housing different from previous model G's and Z's? If they're the same, then swapping out the diff housing (assuming the mounting points and the splines on the input and output shafts are the same) should be easy and relatively cheap.
It makes swapping out the carrier assembly (housing) relatively easy but not cheap. You still have to find that housing and the few I ran across were $300-$500, had the stock gears, may or may not have had the LSD, and were from autos and not the manual (therefore worthless to me).

And one final question, is the spline on the pinion the same for both auto and manual?
This is the whole source of the problem. If they are the same, then I don't know why we would have to swap housings. But everyone says the 4.08's won't fit in the automatic housing.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Is it this one?

Which Diff? - Nissan 370Z Forum

I was reading thread thread about a week ago. There's a lot more on the 370 forum.
It might have been. I thought there was a lot more to it. This was the info I was looking for though.
Originally Posted by Z1Performance
to the OP
there is another thread that goes through the differences
The Carbonetics is a nice unit. Some (350Z's) have experienced issues with premature disk wearing, even using Carbonetics own fluid. I personally have never experienced it. The Carbon units they offer are not adjustable, so it does not allow for any customization now or down the road. That may or may not be an issue for you. They also require frequent fluid changes (every 3-5k miles) because the carbon dust from the disks contaminates the fluid. They are very smooth however and work well. You also are stuck using their fluid, so if you get it, stock up. We stock the diffs and the fluid BTW
Cusco - I've run one in my car since 2004 (I think...might be 2005!). It's a clutch type diff as well. It is adjustable from 1.5 to 2 way (2 way is for drift) and has 3 way adjustable lockup as well. With the right fluid, and the right setup (which IMHO is 60% lock, 1.5 way) it is nearly seemless. Mine makes zero noise. At a literal crawl at parking lot speeds you can slightly feel the inside wheel grabbing a touch...but you literally have to be crawling. At 5 mph, it's not present at all, for example. No special break in (no figure 8's needed!) and can use off the shelf fluid. Downside is there is a wait time for them (45-60 days at present). They are reasonably priced.
OS Giken - another clutch type diff, but has a bit of a different design. They are adjustable from OS Giken via diferent springs. Extremely careful tolerances means it is quiet and smooth. I've used them several times now on the 350Z's and they are unlike any clutch type LSD I've ever used. Higher cost vs the Cusco by a few bucks, but it's a drop in for base model cars on a 350Z and 370Z.
Quaife - top notch firm from the UK that has made diffs since forever. Theirs is a helical (gear) based unit. It is not adjustable at all, but it is literally so quiet and smooth, Nissan could have installed it from the factory and you would never thing it was aftermarket. A great street oriented unit. Works well for club type track days also, but not what I'd use on a full out race car.
Drexler - amazing unit but very spendy. Used by several high end OEM manufacturers, and many race teams worldwide
You can compare prices, specs, etc on our site if you like
Z-1 Performance Automotive Services Inc.
Given your conditions and needs/wants, I would select the OS Giken if this were my own car. My second choice would be Quaife.
I think I may be looking for that "another thread" he mentions in the second line.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:18 PM
MechE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ratio is based off of the teeth on the ring vs. the teeth on the pinion. I would venture and say that all the ring gears are the same diameter only varying amounts of teeth. Same with the pinion. Although it is possible to vary the the teeth with a variable diameter.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Q8y_drifter

Originally Posted by MechE
Ratio is based off of the teeth on the ring vs. the teeth on the pinion. I would venture and say that all the ring gears are the same diameter only varying amounts of teeth. Same with the pinion. Although it is possible to vary the the teeth with a variable diameter.
That's what's confusing me, if the O.D of the ring gear is the same, why change the diff housing? Has anyone cracked open both diffs for a comparison? Even if it's the 2003+ G/Z.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

That's what's confusing me, if the O.D of the ring gear is the same, why change the diff housing? Has anyone cracked open both diffs for a comparison? Even if it's the 2003+ G/Z.
Yes it's been done. Do a little research over on the370z or my350z. There are lots and lots of posts about it.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:01 PM
DanMardik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NeverBoneStock
Well almost everyone knows I have been waiting to install my new 4.08 final drive and after mnths of waiting all I can say is ... OMG. It hard to explain this for everyone to understand . This fcukin car should have came with these from the factory. It pulls like no other ! I can launch so much better . It gets into the powerband way faster to. This isnt a review but if anyone who is staying NA or plan on having a SC installed like me . This is the mod to get. Its not cheap but well worth it . A few pics for ya...
Is it possible for you to post a video of you accelerating through the gears?
Old 04-26-2010, 05:11 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
My car is at the dealership for rattles. I'll post video later this week.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:45 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

There is a lot of info in this post: VHR + FD Gear Ratio upgrades - 3.9 and 4.08 - Nissan 370Z Forum
Old 04-26-2010, 11:50 PM
JLai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder how much this affected your top speed (perhaps not at all since we're electronically governed to 155 mph in the 6MT).
Old 04-27-2010, 12:20 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Not looking good for the the Autos if you want to keep cruise control. This is a blurb from the cruise control section dealing with the ICC, I'm still looking for a section seperate from the ICC but I'm willing to bet it uses the same logic. It's from a section talking about trouble shooting and what might cause the cruise control not to work.

If the vehicle speed signal (wheel speed) from the
ABS actuator and electric unit (control unit) and
the A/T vehicle speed sensor signal (output shaft
revolution signal) from TCM, received by the ICC
sensor integrated unit with CAN communication,
are inconsistent.

I'm pretty sure it's saying that the computer takes three different inputs from the CAN bus and reads them. The computer tables are set up for the stock rear gear and after you change the gears the driveshaft speed and the rear wheel speed do not match in the tables anymore. I bet if someone ran a radically different tire size from stock, they would have a problem with cruise control. Actually, scratch that last part. I have to look at how the vehicle speed is measured first.

This is all speculation on my part though. I'll do more research in the morning.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.08 Final Drive = OMG