Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

6 Speed 1st to 2nd rough shift

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 11:33 AM
devin98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 Speed 1st to 2nd rough shift

I have a 2009 G37S Manual and I am fairly new to manual however I have driven a few different manual cars in the past. I notice the shift between first and second no matter what I do always seems a little rough. I am normally shifting around 3000rpms.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
Ideas?<o></o>
Old 03-12-2010, 11:59 AM
snaik69

get used to it....you are not alone....thats the g37 clutch for ya!

like you, im constantly trying different things (how i approach the shift) to try and smooth things out and im beginning to obsess about it to the point where it is not allowing me to enjoy the ride!

I really considering trying the "clutch fix #2" that is posted in the DIY section...check it out. In involves a slight mod to the clutch pedal assembly. Many members that have tried it say the shifts are alot smoother.

link for diy: https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...a-feeling.html

Last edited by snaik69; 03-12-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:12 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just power shift 1st to 2nd

Jk.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:40 PM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Let the clutch out slower...the 1-2 shift is the hardest to learn in these cars. But my biggest tip to you is to let the clutch out slower to allow the RPM's to fall to where they belong.

Simply put, if the car tugs at you, you took too long to shift. If the car lurches forward, you shifted too fast. Find the sweet spot folks
Old 03-12-2010, 06:45 PM
rAvi665

Do you let your car warm up? I noticed if I warm up my car for 5 mins everytime or when the engine temp. gauge is in the middle before driving its not that hard of a shift. It works for me.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:04 PM
blazeahundo2

under 2k rpms are the smoothest shifts for me
Old 03-12-2010, 07:38 PM
8o8G37s

You shouldn't rev your 1st gear to high first of all. The 1st gear is ONLY to get you going and into 2nd gear. Like "Blazeahundo2" try keeping your 1st to 2nd to a very low rev like 2K and you shouldn't have as much of a rough shift...l hope.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:07 PM
stratos

Just do the dumper spring mode suggested earlier. It's easy to do and easy to get back to stock if you don't like it.

For me, it made a world of difference since I can now feel the clutch and where and when it's engaging. The trade off was a heavier pedal. Not a big deal since now I can go from 1st to 2nd, smoothly, ANYWHERE in the rpm range and not in the grandma range that some of you guys suggest.

Seriously? 1st to 2nd under 2k rpms in a 330 HP car?

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
Old 03-13-2010, 12:13 AM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heh heh heh. i'm sorry i thought this was kind of a funny question...

but yeah you might wanna check your driving technique. I think you're letting go too quickly. the g37 clutch is easy. I would say your left leg isn't used to it.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:40 AM
Reno-ID-Doc

Almost in any manual transmission, there is still some feathering of the clutch in 2nd gear when coming from 1st. Your left foot would only come off the clutch fully when the "sweet spot" has transitioned.

Not to be vague about the "sweet spot" in 2nd gear:
  • Fully engaging the clutch early (letting go of your left foot too early) would result in jerky movement.
  • Not fully engaging the clutch, being late, & letting it slip further (riding the clutch longer with your left foot) would result in mushy disconnect feel.
This "sweet spot" would not be fixed and would be within a range given your engine speed, the vehicle's acceleration rate & the forces affecting acceleration (car's mass, the drag, road incline etc.)

Nothing is more exacting in getting familiar with this "sweet spot" as seen in motorcycle manual shifting, where the engine power-to-vehicle weight ratio is at its highest. There's a "sweet spot" not only in 1st & 2nd gear, but also in 3rd & sometimes in 4th gear. This makes the left hand cltuching technique more exact & pinpointed. It becomes more forgiving in 4th, 5th & 6 th gear.

Many powerful cars, such as our G37, may even have a "sweet spot" in 3rd gear.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:53 PM
devin98

Thanks for all the replies I tried working on it tonight I got a few good 1st to 2nd shifts in but most felt bad. I drove a 2010 Mazdaspeed3 granted not the same car but 278HP and the 1st to 2nd was like butter for me.

I just its just something to get used I just look like a horrible manual driver from first to second.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Veloz G

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Just like rAvi665, I have also noticed the clunky shift from 1st to 2nd gear when the car is cold (40-50F). Once the engine/transmission is at operating temp, the 1st to 2nd gear shift gets smoother and quieter. I may try some Redline MT-90/MTL when I change out my transmission fluid to see if the cold 1st to 2nd gear shifts improve.

I also did the "clutch fix #2" and drove like that for 2 months. One thing I noticed is that aside from helping you push the clutch pedal down, the spring also helps isolate/cushion some of the transmission vibration that travels along the clutch hydraulic system. Clutch engagement did improve but the vibration I felt on the clutch pedal kind of killed the mod for me. When I reinstalled the spring I made sure to grease it really good with some Honda hi-temp urea grease I had laying around. The clutch pedal stroke felt incredibly light and smooth while retaining the improved clutch engagement sensation I had without the spring.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:28 AM
StopTheExcuses

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 8o8G37s
You shouldn't rev your 1st gear to high first of all. The 1st gear is ONLY to get you going and into 2nd gear. Like "Blazeahundo2" try keeping your 1st to 2nd to a very low rev like 2K and you shouldn't have as much of a rough shift...l hope.
This is Sarcasm right???

OP, you will get used to the 1/2 shift, it just takes awhile. I've been driving manuals for about 17 years now, and I took my drivers licensce test with a manual, so I do have some experience. Hang in there, it will get easier!
Old 03-18-2010, 01:20 AM
oreoleo

Originally Posted by Veloz G
\

I also did the "clutch fix #2" and drove like that for 2 months. One thing I noticed is that aside from helping you push the clutch pedal down, the spring also helps isolate/cushion some of the transmission vibration that travels along the clutch hydraulic system. Clutch engagement did improve but the vibration I felt on the clutch pedal kind of killed the mod for me. When I reinstalled the spring I made sure to grease it really good with some Honda hi-temp urea grease I had laying around. The clutch pedal stroke felt incredibly light and smooth while retaining the improved clutch engagement sensation I had without the spring.
I'm also planning on putting that spring back on. I don't think I gained much from it, don't feel anything from the clutch IMHO. I think it's all in the head, but we'll see.

The OP in the #2 mod thread said the pedal becomes ~5% stiffer... I call BS.

I was at the dealer today, sat in a 6mt and that clutch felt 2x easier to press in. Granted the car wasn't on, so I'm not sure if that affects anything. But from the moment I took the spring off, I felt it being drastically stiffer.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:19 AM
8o8G37s

Originally Posted by StopTheExcuses
This is Sarcasm right???

OP, you will get used to the 1/2 shift, it just takes awhile. I've been driving manuals for about 17 years now, and I took my drivers licensce test with a manual, so I do have some experience. Hang in there, it will get easier!
ITS WHAT WAS TOLD AND PASSED DOWN FROM ME FROM GENERATION TO GENERATION AND ALL THE CARS WE DID THAT WITH WON CHAMPIONSHIPS FOR DECADES...dont' you tell me other wise boy...LOW revin aint do much harm then hammerin it all around would it....

Quick Reply: 6 Speed 1st to 2nd rough shift