NST Crank + Alternator Pulley kit - MyG37

Go Back  MyG37 > Tech Area > Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Reload this Page >

NST Crank + Alternator Pulley kit

Notices
Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

NST Crank + Alternator Pulley kit

Reply

 
 
 
Old 02-20-2010, 05:27 PM
  #1  
Q8y_drifter
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Q8y_drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 970
Thanked 27 Times in 5 Posts
NST Crank + Alternator Pulley kit

NST - The Leader In Nissan 370Z Pulley Development

So NonStopTuning had this kit for a while now. Anyone tried it yet?

Here's the info i gathered so far:
On a 350Z HR (same engine) the peak gains shown was 5whp and 6lb-ft of torque. The maximum gain was at 4000-5000rpm with 10whp and 12lb-ft of torque. 3rd party dynos prove these numbers are true and consistent. The really cool thing is, the kit consists of a 10% underdrive crank pulley and 10% overdrive alternator pulley, so the alternator should provide the same power as stock. Furthermore, they are much lighter than stock (weight differences are in the link) and the kit only costs $200 for both. the gains are also evident throughout the entire power band, and not just in high RPMs.

Here's the dyno and overview...

NST (NonStopTuning) 370Z VQ37HR Pulley Kit Review w/ Dyno Charts - Nissan 370Z Forum
Q8y_drifter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:45 AM
  #2  
TJHG37S
Registered User
iTrader: (20)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: L.A.
Posts: 3,408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't tried it but if the Z guys like it usually it's pretty good. Too bad install is could be almost as much as the pulleys depending on your mechanic.

Still, seems like it might be worth it for the responsiveness you gain from lightened pulleys even if the HP/TQ numbers are less.
TJHG37S is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:40 AM
  #3  
Black Betty
Lexus Defector
iTrader: (58)
 
Black Betty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Baytown, TX
Posts: 21,000
Thanked 1,979 Times in 1,197 Posts
They're local to me. I've been considering it but was waiting for someone else to pull the trigger first and report. I like the much lighter weight and the fact that while it underdrives the crank pulley, it overdrives the alternator to compensate and maintain it's OEM speed. All while shaving 4 pounds of rotational mass. I don't like the colors though...
Black Betty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:54 AM
  #4  
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member
iTrader: (24)
 
NeverBoneStock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 3,006
Thanked 57 Times in 48 Posts
I have it and I gained hp and tq on the dyno .. 8 hp and 4 tq ..
NeverBoneStock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:36 AM
  #5  
Black Betty
Lexus Defector
iTrader: (58)
 
Black Betty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Baytown, TX
Posts: 21,000
Thanked 1,979 Times in 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by NeverBoneStock View Post
I have it and I gained hp and tq on the dyno .. 8 hp and 4 tq ..
Cool. Self install? How difficult for you? If you had a good shop do it, how long did it take the tech and how much if you don't mind sharing the info with me? What are your thoughts positive or negative?
Black Betty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:59 PM
  #6  
Black Betty
Lexus Defector
iTrader: (58)
 
Black Betty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Baytown, TX
Posts: 21,000
Thanked 1,979 Times in 1,197 Posts
Bumping this for thoughts from NBS. You are the only one who has the rear end gear upgrade and the lightweight pulleys. Does the car rev a whole lot faster now with both? Install info?
Black Betty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:04 PM
  #7  
saparda
Registered User
iTrader: (5)
 
saparda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 519
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i just saw this thread....yeah definitely worth it.....i have the set from UR and i did feel a little gain in the acceleration (according to butt dyno lol)
saparda is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:30 PM
  #8  
TreSe7en
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Okc, OK
Posts: 461
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think the UR pulleys are underdriven though just lighter in weight , these NST pulleys are underdriven 10% which should yield better results than just a lightened one.
TreSe7en is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:44 PM
  #9  
Black Betty
Lexus Defector
iTrader: (58)
 
Black Betty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Baytown, TX
Posts: 21,000
Thanked 1,979 Times in 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by TreSe7en View Post
I don't think the UR pulleys are underdriven though just lighter in weight , these NST pulleys are underdriven 10% which should yield better results than just a lightened one.
10% underdriven on crank, 10% overdriven on alternator so it still runs at OEM speed.
Black Betty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:56 PM
  #10  
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member
iTrader: (24)
 
NeverBoneStock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 3,006
Thanked 57 Times in 48 Posts
It does rev faster but not a huge difference . It responds better as well . I really cant wait to put my clutch in . Waiting for a few more things for my clutch .
NeverBoneStock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:34 PM
  #11  
Black Betty
Lexus Defector
iTrader: (58)
 
Black Betty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Baytown, TX
Posts: 21,000
Thanked 1,979 Times in 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by NeverBoneStock View Post
It does rev faster but not a huge difference . It responds better as well . I really cant wait to put my clutch in . Waiting for a few more things for my clutch .
Self install or a shop? How long did it take?
Black Betty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:43 PM
  #12  
TheLocNar
Registered User
iTrader: (5)
 
TheLocNar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicagoish
Posts: 2,233
Thanked 56 Times in 45 Posts
I'll be getting a set in the near future.

One thing to be careful of though... make sure you have a good shop install these, or if you do it yourself, make sure you know what you're doing. If the crank pulley isn't seated correctly, the vibration will ruin the crank seal. Keep your stock pulley on hand just in case! That's not meant to scare anyone off from doing this mod, but it's just a warning for something to look out for.

And whoever goes for the full kit (alternator and crank), you will need a slightly smaller sized belt... this one, specifically:

Amazon.com: Gates K070786 V-Belt: Automotive

BB, they will do custom colors... just an FYI... But they seem to believe the two colors they are offering are the two hardest (durable).
TheLocNar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:46 AM
  #13  
Black Betty
Lexus Defector
iTrader: (58)
 
Black Betty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Baytown, TX
Posts: 21,000
Thanked 1,979 Times in 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by efuseakay View Post
I'll be getting a set in the near future.

One thing to be careful of though... make sure you have a good shop install these, or if you do it yourself, make sure you know what you're doing. If the crank pulley isn't seated correctly, the vibration will ruin the crank seal. Keep your stock pulley on hand just in case! That's not meant to scare anyone off from doing this mod, but it's just a warning for something to look out for.

And whoever goes for the full kit (alternator and crank), you will need a slightly smaller sized belt... this one, specifically:

Amazon.com: Gates K070786 V-Belt: Automotive

BB, they will do custom colors... just an FYI... But they seem to believe the two colors they are offering are the two hardest (durable).
Somebody's done their homework. Thanks for the heads up on custom colors. They are actually local so maybe I'll stop in one day.
Black Betty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:48 AM
  #14  
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member
iTrader: (24)
 
NeverBoneStock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 3,006
Thanked 57 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty View Post
Self install or a shop? How long did it take?
I had a shop do it . 2 hr install. No leaks .
NeverBoneStock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:12 AM
  #15  
TheLocNar
Registered User
iTrader: (5)
 
TheLocNar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicagoish
Posts: 2,233
Thanked 56 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty View Post
Somebody's done their homework. Thanks for the heads up on custom colors. They are actually local so maybe I'll stop in one day.
Sweet. Keep us updated!
TheLocNar is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NST Crank + Alternator Pulley kit


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.