MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction-309/)
-   -   NST Crank + Alternator Pulley kit (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction/204943-nst-crank-alternator-pulley-kit.html)

Q8y_drifter 02-20-2010 05:27 PM

NST Crank + Alternator Pulley kit

NST - The Leader In Nissan 370Z Pulley Development

So NonStopTuning had this kit for a while now. Anyone tried it yet?

Here's the info i gathered so far:
On a 350Z HR (same engine) the peak gains shown was 5whp and 6lb-ft of torque. The maximum gain was at 4000-5000rpm with 10whp and 12lb-ft of torque. 3rd party dynos prove these numbers are true and consistent. The really cool thing is, the kit consists of a 10% underdrive crank pulley and 10% overdrive alternator pulley, so the alternator should provide the same power as stock. Furthermore, they are much lighter than stock (weight differences are in the link) and the kit only costs $200 for both. the gains are also evident throughout the entire power band, and not just in high RPMs.

Here's the dyno and overview...

NST (NonStopTuning) 370Z VQ37HR Pulley Kit Review w/ Dyno Charts - Nissan 370Z Forum

TJHG37S 03-01-2010 12:45 AM

Haven't tried it but if the Z guys like it usually it's pretty good. Too bad install is could be almost as much as the pulleys depending on your mechanic.

Still, seems like it might be worth it for the responsiveness you gain from lightened pulleys even if the HP/TQ numbers are less.

Black Betty 03-01-2010 01:40 AM

They're local to me. I've been considering it but was waiting for someone else to pull the trigger first and report. I like the much lighter weight and the fact that while it underdrives the crank pulley, it overdrives the alternator to compensate and maintain it's OEM speed. All while shaving 4 pounds of rotational mass. I don't like the colors though...

NeverBoneStock 03-01-2010 09:54 AM

I have it and I gained hp and tq on the dyno .. 8 hp and 4 tq ..

Black Betty 03-01-2010 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by NeverBoneStock (Post 2866469)
I have it and I gained hp and tq on the dyno .. 8 hp and 4 tq ..

Cool. Self install? How difficult for you? If you had a good shop do it, how long did it take the tech and how much if you don't mind sharing the info with me? What are your thoughts positive or negative?

Black Betty 05-21-2010 12:59 PM

Bumping this for thoughts from NBS. You are the only one who has the rear end gear upgrade and the lightweight pulleys. Does the car rev a whole lot faster now with both? Install info?

saparda 05-21-2010 01:04 PM

i just saw this thread....yeah definitely worth it.....i have the set from UR and i did feel a little gain in the acceleration (according to butt dyno lol)

TreSe7en 05-21-2010 01:30 PM

I don't think the UR pulleys are underdriven though just lighter in weight , these NST pulleys are underdriven 10% which should yield better results than just a lightened one.

Black Betty 05-21-2010 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by TreSe7en (Post 2911624)
I don't think the UR pulleys are underdriven though just lighter in weight , these NST pulleys are underdriven 10% which should yield better results than just a lightened one.

10% underdriven on crank, 10% overdriven on alternator so it still runs at OEM speed.

NeverBoneStock 05-21-2010 05:56 PM

It does rev faster but not a huge difference . It responds better as well . I really cant wait to put my clutch in . Waiting for a few more things for my clutch .

Black Betty 05-21-2010 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by NeverBoneStock (Post 2911785)
It does rev faster but not a huge difference . It responds better as well . I really cant wait to put my clutch in . Waiting for a few more things for my clutch .

Self install or a shop? How long did it take?

TheLocNar 05-21-2010 06:43 PM

I'll be getting a set in the near future.

One thing to be careful of though... make sure you have a good shop install these, or if you do it yourself, make sure you know what you're doing. If the crank pulley isn't seated correctly, the vibration will ruin the crank seal. Keep your stock pulley on hand just in case! That's not meant to scare anyone off from doing this mod, but it's just a warning for something to look out for.

And whoever goes for the full kit (alternator and crank), you will need a slightly smaller sized belt... this one, specifically:

Amazon.com: Gates K070786 V-Belt: Automotive

BB, they will do custom colors... just an FYI... But they seem to believe the two colors they are offering are the two hardest (durable).

Black Betty 05-22-2010 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by efuseakay (Post 2911809)
I'll be getting a set in the near future.

One thing to be careful of though... make sure you have a good shop install these, or if you do it yourself, make sure you know what you're doing. If the crank pulley isn't seated correctly, the vibration will ruin the crank seal. Keep your stock pulley on hand just in case! That's not meant to scare anyone off from doing this mod, but it's just a warning for something to look out for.

And whoever goes for the full kit (alternator and crank), you will need a slightly smaller sized belt... this one, specifically:

Amazon.com: Gates K070786 V-Belt: Automotive

BB, they will do custom colors... just an FYI... But they seem to believe the two colors they are offering are the two hardest (durable).

Somebody's done their homework. Thanks for the heads up on custom colors. They are actually local so maybe I'll stop in one day.

NeverBoneStock 05-22-2010 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Black Betty (Post 2911805)
Self install or a shop? How long did it take?

I had a shop do it . 2 hr install. No leaks .

TheLocNar 05-23-2010 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Black Betty (Post 2911951)
Somebody's done their homework. Thanks for the heads up on custom colors. They are actually local so maybe I'll stop in one day.

Sweet. Keep us updated!