Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37S 6MT Sedan in Limp Mode: Towed to the Dealer Twice!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:15 AM
Wongster
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nestle_!9
it happened to me as well last year after going to long beach for SEMA. I was on the freeway then suddenly my car just wont pass 2K RPM. Got my car was towed and went to the nearest dealership. They found out that a ZIPLOCK( yup a ZIPLOCK) was stuck in my throttle body. Before that week , my intakes were installed .. Im not really sure until this day how did that ziplock end up in there. maybe when they installed the intakes? but anyway, since then my car drives fine.
Wow! So all they did was pull out the ziplock bag? Did your car throw any codes?
Old 09-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Wongster
I finally picked up my car yesterday. According to my service advisor, there was a bad VVEL bank #1 (passenger side) motor. They were told by the Infiniti tech line to replace the bank #1 VVEL motor/actuator and the relay harness. Here is what my invoice says:

PULLED DTC P100A AND P1090 VVEL SYSTEM BANK #1 AND VVEL ACTUATOR BANK#1. REPLACED VVEL RELAY AND BANK#1 VVEL MOTOR/ACTUATOR ASSY PER TECH LINE RECCOMENDATIONS. CLEARED CODES, ADJUSTED VVEL POSITION SENSOR, SET IDLE AIR VOLUME LEARN AND ROADTESTED VEHICLE. NO FURTHER CONCERN.

Parts:
ACTUATOR ASSY-VEL-23745-EY01A
RELAY-25230-9F915

I drove the car ~100 miles yesterday and today and the car appears to be driving fine so far. I just hope this is an isolated case and does not become a widespread issue with the VQ37VHR motors.
Noted as the first case I have seen.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Punator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something similar happened to me today, even though this is the first time i did not go to the dealer to change my oil, I went to and shop and go Eneos oild 5w-30 I probably only drove like 20 miles on and service light came on and when idle the RPM is stuck at 1 it wont move below it.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:57 PM
DropTheGloves

I would be worried about this if I owned a current G37. Definitely something you all should keep an eye out for. Anything strange happens with the car, take it to the dealer. Maybe, you guys should start a form...to send to Infiniti about a possible issue..could help them prevent this from happening with the 2010.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Wongster
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Punator
Something similar happened to me today, even though this is the first time i did not go to the dealer to change my oil, I went to and shop and go Eneos oild 5w-30 I probably only drove like 20 miles on and service light came on and when idle the RPM is stuck at 1 it wont move below it.
Is the "Service Engine Soon" light still on? Either way, take it to the dealer and have them check it out.

Originally Posted by DropTheGloves
I would be worried about this if I owned a current G37. Definitely something you all should keep an eye out for. Anything strange happens with the car, take it to the dealer. Maybe, you guys should start a form...to send to Infiniti about a possible issue..could help them prevent this from happening with the 2010.
Infiniti is aware of the issue. The dealership contacted Infiniti's tech line to figure out how to fix this as they had never anything like it before. Personally, I am a little concerned about the VQ37VHR motors as this is Infiniti's first VVEL motor and there have been issues with the bank #2 VVEL in the 08 coupes. It is also one of the reasons why I am still using Nissan Ester Oil and haven't switched over to a full synthetic yet.
The following users liked this post:
Joey Olivas (03-28-2021)
Old 11-15-2009, 08:23 PM
DropTheGloves

Originally Posted by Wongster
Is the "Service Engine Soon" light still on? Either way, take it to the dealer and have them check it out.

Infiniti is aware of the issue. The dealership contacted Infiniti's tech line to figure out how to fix this as they had never anything like it before. Personally, I am a little concerned about the VQ37VHR motors as this is Infiniti's first VVEL motor and there have been issues with the bank #2 VVEL in the 08 coupes. It is also one of the reasons why I am still using Nissan Ester Oil and haven't switched over to a full synthetic yet.

Just because your dealer called Infiniti's tech does not mean the organization as a whole is aware of the situation at hand. When there is a list of people with the same issue, that's when you talk to someone actually important, and get noticed. One issue will not make them look over future engines.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:44 AM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I have a '08 G37 Coupe for sale on the dealership lot with 52k miles and the car runs like a champ still and no service history issues.

It could just be a rare issue but not everyone has been having problems, especially the countless amount of non-forum members.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:20 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
today i started the car up fine and drove to work and then left work to come home BAM! i parked in the drive way for a min and shut it off and put something in the garage and went back to start the car again and i get clicked sounds and no start. windows dont even roll down or up. had the battery tested last week and it was fine. now this. i just hit 22000 on my 08. awhile back i had the same problem the car would not pass 1krpms.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:21 PM
themoneypit

I know this is and old thread, but I just found it while searching this p1090 issue with my 2011 g37 IPL coupe. its been to the dealer a total of 21 days, and 3 different times, and they cannot fix the problem. they have changed a module, and a relay. I now have a case opened with infiniti corporate and hopefully they can get the darn thing fixed.

I bought my IPL coupe used last month on 11/13/14. its been in the shop for 21 days, twice for 10 days each, and once for an overnight stay. it also has sat undriveable in the driveway for 8 days while waiting for an opening to get it into the dealership. what a joke. im extremely frustrated with them. I keep getting "we cant get the car to duplicate the problem" yet its been towed in twice with the check engine light on and in limp mode!! WTF is that??
Old 12-21-2014, 03:32 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by themoneypit
I know this is and old thread, but I just found it while searching this p1090 issue with my 2011 g37 IPL coupe. its been to the dealer a total of 21 days, and 3 different times, and they cannot fix the problem. they have changed a module, and a relay. I now have a case opened with infiniti corporate and hopefully they can get the darn thing fixed.

I bought my IPL coupe used last month on 11/13/14. its been in the shop for 21 days, twice for 10 days each, and once for an overnight stay. it also has sat undriveable in the driveway for 8 days while waiting for an opening to get it into the dealership. what a joke. im extremely frustrated with them. I keep getting "we cant get the car to duplicate the problem" yet its been towed in twice with the check engine light on and in limp mode!! WTF is that??
That is why I will never purchase a used vehicle.

A brand new vehicle comes with all new parts and a warranty with no previous abuse or among the 400k vehicles that saw Hurricane Sandy

Good luck

Telcoman
Old 12-31-2014, 10:29 AM
I_am_J5
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by themoneypit

This may be kind of late, but I had a similar issue with my '09 6MT coupe. My car was in and out of limp mode and had to bring it back to dealer multiple times. I didn't get the same code, but my issue had to do with a blown gasket that needed to be replaced on the timing chain rear cover. Here is a link to that post if it helps any...

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...and-p0524.html
The following users liked this post:
Joey Olivas (03-28-2021)
Old 12-31-2014, 10:37 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I had this happen to me over the summer,( Same codes) 09G37X sedan 59k at the time, I had a vacuum leak at the manifold, fixed it hasn't come back since :/
Old 01-01-2015, 01:31 PM
themoneypit

Originally Posted by telcoman
That is why I will never purchase a used vehicle.

A brand new vehicle comes with all new parts and a warranty with no previous abuse or among the 400k vehicles that saw Hurricane Sandy

Good luck

Telcoman
Well the car is still under full factory warranty, and there are no signs of abuse or aftermarket parts ever being installed on it. nor any signs of water damage from sandy. the car needs the actuator for the vvel system replaced and the wiring harness like the OP stated. they have already replaced the module and ruled out the relays, unfortunately the dealer wont just change the parts until they can confirm they are bad. but they can never seem to get it to act up while they have it.

go ahead and buy the new car and pay the HUGE mark up. im all set with that. this car new cost over 51k, the sticker is in the owners manual packet, i paid 25988 for it, and will gladly rock it once its fixed with my $300 per month payment while you drive your "new" car with a payment that is probably over double that maybe triple. oh yeah, and guess what sandy didn't go around every new car dealership, there were plenty of "new" cars that she affected. so its a crap shoot no matter which way you look at it....
Old 01-01-2015, 01:33 PM
themoneypit

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
I had this happen to me over the summer,( Same codes) 09G37X sedan 59k at the time, I had a vacuum leak at the manifold, fixed it hasn't come back since :/
was yours doing it intermittently like mine? i can drive 100+ miles with no problem, other times i cant drive to the corner store for a gallon of milk without it happening. theres no rhyme or reason as to when it will act up.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:06 PM
themoneypit

got the car back Friday, their regional tech said it was the actuator on the head, and they replaced that. so far so good. glad to have my car back...