General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Windshield Repair or Replacement when Dealer is paying?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 12:37 AM
drkashifa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield Repair or Replacement when Dealer is paying?

Hey,

So i picked up a certified preowned 2013 G37x Sedan, and there's a chip in the windshield. The dealer said they would fix it and gave me both options to either have it repaired (filled) or replaced. Now the thing is, it'll be replaced by "Satellite" they said they outsource their windshield repair and replacement since they're better trained for it. He said they'll use "OEM" glass but when i asked if they'll use an infiniti windshield he was like no but we do it all the time...

I just wanted to get feedback cause the dealer seems to be pushing to just get it replaced rather than repaired, which i found odd since that would cost more for them anyways. The chip isn't that bad, its in the center of the windshield however not even 1cm in length. To top it off the car has VIN Etched into the glass, i'd loose that as well. So i guess my question is which is better overall for me? to just get it Repaired or Replaced? or if you've got a third option I'm all ears.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:51 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Personally I'd get it replaced. Where it's fixed you'll likely always have a bit of distortion, and with it being right in the center of the windshield I wouldn't want that.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:14 AM
drkashifa

... yeah I know, but knowing it not OEM and loose the VIN Etching, is that going to be that big a deal come resale time?
Old 08-11-2015, 01:23 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by drkashifa
... yeah I know, but knowing it not OEM and loose the VIN Etching, is that going to be that big a deal come resale time?
I might be biased because I live in a place with gravel covering the roads for 7 months a year, but here nobody would even look to see if the glass is OEM or has the VIN etched into it as long as you can see fine out of it.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:35 PM
drkashifa

Thanks Epiphany,

Yeah just finalized with the dealer he'll have them fix it up for me next Thursday. He won't budge on the OEM, he calls it EOM, and apparently has been working there for 15+yrs and wonders why i don't trust his opinion...

Originally Posted by Epiphany
I might be biased because I live in a place with gravel covering the roads for 7 months a year, but here nobody would even look to see if the glass is OEM or has the VIN etched into it as long as you can see fine out of it.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:27 AM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by drkashifa
, and apparently has been working there for 15+yrs and wonders why i don't trust his opinion...
Maybe because he is a dealer? But I agree, get it replaced.