Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37S 6MT Sedan in Limp Mode: Towed to the Dealer Twice!

Old 09-14-2009, 12:17 AM
Wongster
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
G37S 6MT Sedan in Limp Mode: Towed to the Dealer Twice!

I was driving my G37S 6MT sedan on Saturday when the "Service Engine Soon" light came on and the engine would not rev past 2,000 RPM. I had the car towed to the dealer and after about a 1.5-2 hrs, I was told that my car was ready. My service advisor said it the first time they had seen this but I was good to go and they would call Infiniti's tech support on Monday to go over this with them. Per my invoice, this is what came up:

FOUND CODE P1090; VVEL ACTR MOT-B1, P0300: MULTICYL MISFIRE, INSPECT HARNESS & CONNECTORS OK. OIL LEVE NORMAL. RESET DT. ROAD TEST VEHICLE OKAY.

So anyways, I start driving home and the car feels fine and is driving normal. 20 mins later, the "Service Engine Soon" light comes back on and the car is in limp mode again, doing 5-10 mph max. I managed to get off of the freeway and had the car towed back to the dealership. We'll see if they can figure it out this time but I suspect it'll probably be either a software or a sensor issue. I'll keep you guys posted when I hear back from my service advisor.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:16 AM
gamer2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yuck, sorry to hear you had to go through that man.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:46 AM
NIGHTLFEphantom

That's wicked weird. Hopefully they figure out the problem, if not I think it's 3-4 attempts by the dealer to fix the problem until you get the car lemoned and get a new one if they can't fix the problem.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:43 AM
JonfromCB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wongster, Sorry to hear about your problem. I would really like to know a couple of
things if you don't mind. I've been researching this issue and have some theories.
Our G37's should shut-down to "safe" mode when the oil temperature reaches something
around 360 degrees. How many miles are on your car? How many miles have
you driven with the oil in your car that was in it when this first happened?
What brand and weight oil was it? Thanks, this info' may really be helpful
to all of us. .....Jon sends

Last edited by JonfromCB; 09-14-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: omission
Old 09-14-2009, 10:07 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Sounds like a new one to me!
Old 09-14-2009, 11:28 AM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Weird, keep us posted.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Sounds like the code could be a VVEL motor failure? Possibly resulting in misfire.

I would theorize that the RPM is kept super low since compression would be compromised due to the valves not functioning properly...

Let us know how it goes!
Old 09-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Wongster
Registered Member

Originally Posted by JonfromCB
Wongster, Sorry to hear about your problem. I would really like to know a couple of
things if you don't mind. I've been researching this issue and have some theories.
Our G37's should shut-down to "safe" mode when the oil temperature reaches something
around 360 degrees. How many miles are on your car? How many miles have
you driven with the oil in your car that was in it when this first happened?
What brand and weight oil was it? Thanks, this info' may really be helpful
to all of us. .....Jon sends
My car had 9,274 miles when it first went into limp mode. The temperature gauge was at it's normal operating level and I've been using 5W30 Nissan Ester Oil. I've had the oil changed at around 3,700 and 7,600 miles, so it's been approximately 1,700 miles since my last oil change.

One thing I just realized is that car "warmed up" and reached it's normal operating temerature fairly quickly the night before and the morning that it went into limp mode. I'll bring that to my service advisor's attention and keep you guys posted.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:29 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Hmmm... that really sucks!

I'll say it again... I really think this ester oil thing is a stop gap measure... a patch of sorts, for a bigger problem that Nissan isn't being forthcoming about...

Any word from them yet today?
Old 09-14-2009, 03:32 PM
DJ Hellfire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My guess is bad cam sensor.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:08 AM
Wongster
Registered Member

I spoke to my service advisor today and he said that they were instructed by Infiniti tech support to replace the relay harness and the VVEL motor. He wasn't sure if there were any software updates. I will keep you guys posted as I find out more.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:40 PM
Wongster
Registered Member

I finally picked up my car yesterday. According to my service advisor, there was a bad VVEL bank #1 (passenger side) motor. They were told by the Infiniti tech line to replace the bank #1 VVEL motor/actuator and the relay harness. Here is what my invoice says:

PULLED DTC P100A AND P1090 VVEL SYSTEM BANK #1 AND VVEL ACTUATOR BANK#1. REPLACED VVEL RELAY AND BANK#1 VVEL MOTOR/ACTUATOR ASSY PER TECH LINE RECCOMENDATIONS. CLEARED CODES, ADJUSTED VVEL POSITION SENSOR, SET IDLE AIR VOLUME LEARN AND ROADTESTED VEHICLE. NO FURTHER CONCERN.

Parts:
ACTUATOR ASSY-VEL-23745-EY01A
RELAY-25230-9F915

I drove the car ~100 miles yesterday and today and the car appears to be driving fine so far. I just hope this is an isolated case and does not become a widespread issue with the VQ37VHR motors.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:48 PM
nestle_!9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it happened to me as well last year after going to long beach for SEMA. I was on the freeway then suddenly my car just wont pass 2K RPM. Got my car was towed and went to the nearest dealership. They found out that a ZIPLOCK( yup a ZIPLOCK) was stuck in my throttle body. Before that week , my intakes were installed .. Im not really sure until this day how did that ziplock end up in there. maybe when they installed the intakes? but anyway, since then my car drives fine.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:56 PM
ONEighty
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
If it happens again... tell them you don't even want the car fixed because it's dangerous every time it happens... and lemon the car.

They give you the money back, you drove the car for free = win.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:59 PM
Sytrash

Originally Posted by nestle_!9
it happened to me as well last year after going to long beach for SEMA. I was on the freeway then suddenly my car just wont pass 2K RPM. Got my car was towed and went to the nearest dealership. They found out that a ZIPLOCK( yup a ZIPLOCK) was stuck in my throttle body. Before that week , my intakes were installed .. Im not really sure until this day how did that ziplock end up in there. maybe when they installed the intakes? but anyway, since then my car drives fine.
Did they dealer say anything about ur after market intake? Like warranty void and stuffs....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: G37S 6MT Sedan in Limp Mode: Towed to the Dealer Twice!