Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Depressing clutch all the way or half way

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 03:49 PM
SlateBlue G

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Depressing clutch all the way or half way

Hey guys just wondering what everyone is doing.Ive been gettin lazy and depressing my clutch half way till the engagement point. Just wanted to know is it bad for my tranny not pressing the clutch all the way down to shift?
Old 07-21-2008, 03:51 PM
aznutx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just think of it as a workout, push it in all the way for maximum quad definition
Old 07-21-2008, 04:03 PM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SlateBlue G
Hey guys just wondering what everyone is doing.Ive been gettin lazy and depressing my clutch half way till the engagement point. Just wanted to know is it bad for my tranny not pressing the clutch all the way down to shift?
If it was okay to only push the clutch pedal half way, then why wouldn't Nissan build the car so half depression of the clutch was all the way down?
Old 07-21-2008, 04:36 PM
pass1over

realeasing it until engage/disengage is fine. As long as you know its fully disengaged, you wont hurt anything.

The engage/disengage point isnt at the end of the throw, so why push it that far?
Old 07-21-2008, 04:48 PM
soldier9599
Registered Member

Originally Posted by pass1over
The engage/disengage point isnt at the end of the throw, so why push it that far?
It's easier to just push it to the floor, trying to stop your foot somewhere in between complete disengagement and the floor is a pointless waste of effort when you can just let the floor do the job for you.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:49 PM
TomG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 I would also like to know the answer to this, our cars have a very high catch point, and pushing the clutch to the floor is a pita.

My friends told me its bad to not depress it all the way to the floor, but there cars also don't catch as high as ours.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:51 PM
pass1over

Originally Posted by soldier9599
It's easier to just push it to the floor, trying to stop your foot somewhere in between complete disengagement and the floor is a pointless waste of effort when you can just let the floor do the job for you.
learn the car your driving and you dont end up guessing where that point is
Old 07-21-2008, 04:53 PM
soldier9599
Registered Member

learn the car your driving and you dont end up guessing where that point is
I know exactly where it is; what does this have to do with anything?
Old 07-21-2008, 04:56 PM
pass1over

so, the "wasted effort" you speak of is you pushing the clutch past that point and onto the flo0r.

The only time I push the pedal to the flo0r is when im sitting in gear at a redlight. Its easier to hold it there for a length of time, I will admit that. But for driving, it goes to disengage, then back to engaged, no flo0r.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:05 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Used to push it all the way, but it's pointless. Now I just do it halfway (be warned that shifting to this habit may cause you to grind a couple times here and there until you get used to the new feel). I feel like this method is best for making smoother shifts because your clutch pedal is closer to the engagement point...makes for easier timing...at least for me.

The only time I fully press on the clutch is when I turn on the car.

Both get the job done.

Last edited by chasemyaccord; 07-21-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:12 PM
johnnyg

Two words. Clutch stop.......WERD! Someone has to make one for the G or maybe some enterprising mechanic or enthusiast can do a one off and send it to a sponsor for production.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:25 PM
soldier9599
Registered Member

so, the "wasted effort" you speak of is you pushing the clutch past that point and onto the flo0r.

The only time I push the pedal to the flo0r is when im sitting in gear at a redlight. Its easier to hold it there for a length of time, I will admit that. But for driving, it goes to disengage, then back to engaged, no flo0r.
Well what I really meant was the wasted effort is that of stopping my foot when it naturally wants to just go to the floor.

Whatever, I suppose it depends on the person (leg length/weight, etc.). My foot easily just falls to the bottom, and, while holding it up isn't an effort I would complain about, it's an effort nonetheless and if it doesn't really accomplish anything I have no reason to do it. Come to think of it, that's more of the case when I'm just taking it easy; If I'm ever trying to be quick, not only is it easier to do what you do but it's a more time efficient method. I definitely see what your saying it's just that when I'm being lazy it's easier for me to just drop my foot.

Last edited by soldier9599; 07-21-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:49 PM
soldier9599
Registered Member

Originally Posted by aznutx
just think of it as a workout, push it in all the way for maximum quad definition
lmao
Old 07-21-2008, 08:44 PM
fkat
Registered Member

The only time I push the pedal to the flo0r is when im sitting in gear at a redlight. Its easier to hold it there for a length of time, I will admit that.
That's bad for the clutch. It's also bad for the clutch to keep your hand rested on the shifter while you drive. I put the pedal down pretty much all the way but not touching the stopper.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:53 PM
pass1over

Originally Posted by fkat
That's bad for the clutch. It's also bad for the clutch to keep your hand rested on the shifter while you drive. I put the pedal down pretty much all the way but not touching the stopper.
5 manuals later and havent had any problems yet

Quick Reply: Depressing clutch all the way or half way