Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Can Someone Post a D.I.Y. Oil Change for G37

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 11:41 AM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Can Someone Post a D.I.Y. Oil Change for G37

Could someone who changes their own oil please post a DIY for an oil change with some pictures and what tools are needed. Thanks!

P.S. Don't move me
Old 01-28-2008, 12:59 AM
dillyyo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
Could someone who changes their own oil please post a DIY for an oil change with some pictures and what tools are needed. Thanks!

P.S. Don't move me
-Tools required should be a drive or Phillips to take off underneath engine cover. Maybe allen heads, but I doubt it.
-Oil pan for oil draining.
-Drain plug is right underneath the oil filter.
-Oil filter wrench.

-Jack up car and take cover off.
-Take off oil cap and place rag over (so nothing falls in your heads)
-Unscrew drain plug with most likely 14 mm socket
-Drain oil till basically empty (better to do about 30 min after cars turned off)
-Insert drain plug with new copper crush washer
-Unscrew oil filter with wrench or maybe hand if it was put on properly
-You can or cannot (I always do) put a little new oil on the rubber seal of the new filter
-Tighten back on only HAND TIGHT! Do not use the wrench to put on!!
-Drop the car back level BEFORE putting the oil in. Or at least before measuring final oil level.

Wahlah! Done. If it wasn't 20 degrees hear and I didn't have engine parts and my Z all over my garage, I would post some pics, but unfortunately.....I have my Z and my engine parts all over the garage!
Old 01-28-2008, 12:11 PM
GregUMR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dillyyo
-Tools required should be a drive or Phillips to take off underneath engine cover. Maybe allen heads, but I doubt it.
-Oil pan for oil draining.
-Drain plug is right underneath the oil filter.
-Oil filter wrench.

-Jack up car and take cover off.
-Take off oil cap and place rag over (so nothing falls in your heads)
-Unscrew drain plug with most likely 14 mm socket
-Drain oil till basically empty (better to do about 30 min after cars turned off)
-Insert drain plug with new copper crush washer
-Unscrew oil filter with wrench or maybe hand if it was put on properly
-You can or cannot (I always do) put a little new oil on the rubber seal of the new filter
-Tighten back on only HAND TIGHT! Do not use the wrench to put on!!
-Drop the car back level BEFORE putting the oil in. Or at least before measuring final oil level.

Wahlah! Done. If it wasn't 20 degrees hear and I didn't have engine parts and my Z all over my garage, I would post some pics, but unfortunately.....I have my Z and my engine parts all over the garage!
I just changed my oil at 1200 miles this weekend. I used the 18 dollar plastic ramps from walmart, which worked wonderfully.

The bolts under the car are 10mm, and omg there is more then 15, it was more like 20-25 bolts. There are 3 clips that pop off very easily with a flat head screw driver. The oil filter on my car was TORQUED like a mother from the factory, damn bastards put way too much on it. I needed a wrench from advance auto parts to get it off. The oil drain bolt was a 14mm.

Overall its very easy, just save yourself some time and use an automatic screw driver or drill and a 3/8 inch drive so you can take off those 10mm bolts quickly.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:54 PM
Romeo Xray

Originally Posted by GregUMR
The oil filter on my car was TORQUED like a mother from the factory, damn bastards put way too much on it. I needed a wrench from advance auto parts to get it off.
What kind of wrench; is it the regular oil filter strap wrench or the kind that goes over it like a cap/socket? I'll need it soon.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:56 PM
dillyyo

Originally Posted by Romeo Xray
What kind of wrench; is it the regular oil filter strap wrench or the kind that goes over it like a cap/socket? I'll need it soon.
Either one will do. Ifs its a metal ring strap then make sure its the smaller sized. Just use a clamp wrench style and your good for any filter.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:01 PM
vINCe_Inc

Originally Posted by GregUMR
I just changed my oil at 1200 miles this weekend. I used the 18 dollar plastic ramps from walmart, which worked wonderfully.

The bolts under the car are 10mm, and omg there is more then 15, it was more like 20-25 bolts. There are 3 clips that pop off very easily with a flat head screw driver. The oil filter on my car was TORQUED like a mother from the factory, damn bastards put way too much on it. I needed a wrench from advance auto parts to get it off. The oil drain bolt was a 14mm.

Overall its very easy, just save yourself some time and use an automatic screw driver or drill and a 3/8 inch drive so you can take off those 10mm bolts quickly.

umm. i'd be scared. lol
Old 01-28-2008, 11:50 PM
GregUMR

Originally Posted by Romeo Xray
FYI... It was the socket/cap kind. I believe it was the 45-55mm one, but I can't remember. It was the smallest one they had and I brought in my new filter to test it.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:39 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you dont mind waiting a little i can do another detailed write up with pics of the whole process like i did with my light....
Old 01-29-2008, 07:32 PM
symalik
Registered Member

whats the filter size?
Old 01-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Comatose

Any tips on jacking the entire front end of the car? The jack points illustrated in the manual only depicted the jackpoints to the side of the vehicle...
Old 01-30-2008, 12:02 AM
GregUMR

None of my jacks would fit that far under the car. You can always jack up one side, put a stand under it, then jack up the other side. Thats the safest way.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:24 AM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My DIY is much easier.. drive to infiniti service, ask for 3750 service (basically oil change, lube and fluid/tire pressure check) grab a free cup of coffee, finding sugar can be difficult but it's usually there...then watch TV or play WoW on your laptop. 30m later pay $24.95 and say thank you and bye... Level 100 Skill recommended before attempting this.
http://www.infinitiofcharlotte.com/S...s-Service.aspx

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 01-30-2008 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:29 AM
GregUMR

lol, I can respect that. However I will never get my oil changed on my car. I've always been a car nut, I like to do every bit of maintenance that I can, on my own. Also, I wanted to go synthetic. It did surprise me, I noticed the car revved quicker with the synthetic in (rev in neutral or clutch pressed in). To each is own though, I've never had any car's oil changed for me in my life.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:05 AM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone have an opinion on Zmax, I was thinking of buying the kit with my first oil change.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:08 AM
dillyyo

Originally Posted by Comatose
Any tips on jacking the entire front end of the car? The jack points illustrated in the manual only depicted the jackpoints to the side of the vehicle...
If you have a flat enough jack then just find the front crossmember and jack up in the middle there. DO NOT...again DO NOT jack up on the oil pan! IF you down know then go about the long way and do each side a little or better yet, go buy some Rhino ramps.

Quick Reply: Can Someone Post a D.I.Y. Oil Change for G37