D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Adding dipstick to your 7AT

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 08:00 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Erikurt, moving this to DIY (like slartibart suggested), sticky'd (Like PNW & Joyryde mentioned) and 6 posts in you're at the head of the class! Great DIY job, and nice job w/ the part#s ILM-NC G37s. Also changed the thread title since you confirmed that it works

Erikurt, now when you pull into the Infiniti dealer (just kidding, I doubt you would) and they say, sorry sir, the AT is a sealed unit, you can open your hood and say "C'MON MAN!"
The following users liked this post:
EricSt1tch (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 08:03 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by EricSt1tch
To be honest I bought the dipstick off of ebay so I didn't know the actual part number. Looks like someone found it though! Thank you sir ILM! As for the bolt, that I have no idea. I happened to have one in my shop that fit! But looks like from that picture, it has a part number too! Haha Infiniti is gonna be like "why are a lot of people suddenly buying dipsticks..." Now I'm no responsible for anything that goes wrong guys in case something does go wrong. But I doubt anything will. But yeah! I feel like I'm the first to try this...
Hey Eric, which bolt are you talking about from the diagram? There are two 31083A bolts. Would you need both or just one?

edit: I mean Kurt.

Last edited by Joyryde; 06-08-2019 at 08:03 PM. Reason: I meant Kurt.
EricSt1tch (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 08:25 PM
EricSt1tch
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts
Joyryde, Hey man. The bolt at the top of the diagram you're gonna need. The one for the top of the dipstick tube. The bottom one you're going to reuse from that cap you take off of the transmission. You only need one man. Blnewt, thanks man! Haha sorry, I don't know how to sticky these pages, or rename them or move em around. Thanks man! As for running into an infiniti dealership, man if one was close enough, just to screw with em I would. Be like "oh it's seal huh? Go look." "but sir.. it is" "yeah alright. Go check the dipstick" hahaha. I like thinking outside the box with things. I'm more so old schoolish in the terms of working on cars sometimes but I think outside the box and put a lot of research into working on these vehicles. And the second I saw the cap on the transmission, all that ran through my head was "are... you... kidding me... wooooooow" haha
The following 2 users liked this post by EricSt1tch:
blnewt (06-08-2019), Joyryde (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 08:28 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Moving, renaming, sticky, etc is one of the things us red & blue guys can do, but installing a dipstick when they said nope, that's gold! If I could put a gold star next to your username I would
Cheers!
Old 06-08-2019, 08:41 PM
EricSt1tch
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts
Ah I see honestly I've been through so many pages on this site, since own my car since 2016. Just learned more and more. After reading your run with doing the service on your transmission blnewt, I just... Was like 'there's got to be an easier way.. there has to be something' haha. Honestly I appreciate all the love guys. If I find new things for these cars, to better maintain or something rediculous like this, I will post for sure! It's funny how we got excited over... a dipstick. Haha it's awesome, 'thats thinking with your dipstick Jimmy!'
blnewt (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 09:16 PM
Invaderzim
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by EricSt1tch
Ah I see honestly I've been through so many pages on this site, since own my car since 2016. Just learned more and more. After reading your run with doing the service on your transmission blnewt, I just... Was like 'there's got to be an easier way.. there has to be something' haha. Honestly I appreciate all the love guys. If I find new things for these cars, to better maintain or something rediculous like this, I will post for sure! It's funny how we got excited over... a dipstick. Haha it's awesome, 'thats thinking with your dipstick Jimmy!'
Nice job! I also have a fluid and filter change on the to do list. Thank you!
Old 06-09-2019, 08:27 PM
Ceo4eva
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This car has a trans filter?
Old 06-09-2019, 08:55 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Ceo4eva
This car has a trans filter?
Sure does.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:09 AM
Atowsley
Premier Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Awesome news. Just ordered my dipstick kit before it's backordered hehe. ($80 shipped) and thank you Kurt for sharing with the forum and the info on the DIY too.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:54 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
awesome thread OP...now you 7AT guys can all do your 3x drain and fills super easy with a fluid transfer pump (you still want to do the first drain with the pan off to clean it)
Old 06-15-2019, 12:00 AM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Hashim
awesome thread OP...now you 7AT guys can all do your 3x drain and fills super easy with a fluid transfer pump (you still want to do the first drain with the pan off to clean it)
You can probably do it with just a slim profile funnel. This is a game changing DIY, nice work Eric, I mean Kurt.

Lee Nguyen (07-04-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 01:10 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by Hashim
Multiple instances of folks here saying pumping trans fluid is bad as it dislodges sludge which can then block small passages in the valve body or quickly plug the filter. But this dipstick tube certainly makes drain-and-fill a lot easier!
Old 06-15-2019, 08:33 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Multiple instances of folks here saying pumping trans fluid is bad as it dislodges sludge which can then block small passages in the valve body or quickly plug the filter. But this dipstick tube certainly makes drain-and-fill a lot easier!
That's getting a transmission flush, not using a fluid pump to suction fluid out of the transmission.
Baadnewsburr (06-17-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 10:32 PM
Jee37
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Awesome job finding this! Literally need to do a drain and fill here soon.

Do you think you could just pop the cap covering the pipe that leads into the transmission, take a skinny funnel and fill it up? I'm not really looking for the whole dipstick addition. More or less I am trying to do the drop pan, let it drain, put it back together and refill tranny with same amount of transmission fluid but refill from this access point.
EricSt1tch (06-26-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 12:04 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by antirice
You can probably do it with just a slim profile funnel. This is a game changing DIY, nice work Eric, I mean Kurt.
The pump is to get the fluid out via the dipstick instead of having to lift the car but that funnel is a great suggestion for getting fresh fluid back in!

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Originally Posted by Epiphany
That's getting a transmission flush, not using a fluid pump to suction fluid out of the transmission.
Yes what Ephipany said...I think you're thinking of a transmission flush like they do at the dealers to add new fluid using high pressure lines and evacuating the system of the old fluid using the same pressure

To clarify, I'm talking about a low volume electric (or even hand pump, electrics cost about $20 on Amazon, hand pumps cost about $5.00 at Harbour freight) pump with a dipstick hose you run in through the dipstick and run for a minute or two to get the old fluid out, then you use a funnel like antirice mentioend and pour in fresh fluid...the whole thing take about 10 minutes...the great thing about it is you don't have to go back and forth with measuring temps and leveling the car etc...you just to it after the car is completely cool (i.e. after sitting in the garage all night with the new fluid in the same room)...pump out the fluid into a measuring container and pour the same amount into the dipstick through the funnel...then drive around for a week and do it again and do it again a third time the week after (this is really the fourth time cause remember you drop the pan to clean it the first time) if you really want to..
The following 2 users liked this post by Baadnewsburr:
blnewt (06-17-2019), EricSt1tch (06-26-2019)

Quick Reply: Adding dipstick to your 7AT