D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: JDM NISSAN Skyline V36 Exterior Emblem Swap for 2010-2013 Sedans

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 09:30 PM
G37_4DR

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
JDM NISSAN Skyline V36 Exterior Emblem Swap for 2010-2013 Sedans

Image source: Nissan Revises JDM Skyline Sedan and Coupe for 2010

The purpose of this thread is to provide guidance for switching out your USDM Infiniti front grille emblem, rear trunk emblems, and wheel center caps for the correct JDM NISSAN parts to achieve a basic exterior resemblance to the Skyline V36 sedan.

As with many car projects, breaking it into stages can be helpful. So if you decide to go for a JDM Skyline V36 conversion, you might tackle it in this way:

1. Basic exterior: Front and rear emblems and centercaps
2. Full exterior: Add JDM headlights, taillights, side markers (on front fenders), and maybe window visors/rain visors
3. (Mostly) complete: Engine cover, steering wheel airbag cover, door sill kick plates, seats, misc interior pieces, labels, etc.
4. Insane, I have money to burn and accuracy is everything: RHD conversion including wipers, matching VINs from Japanese market, + JDM parking decal in window (+1,000 points)

On to the conversion...

Basic exterior front conversion

What you need:
Qty 1, NISSAN part number 62890-1NF1B EMBLEM, RADIATOR GRILLE, SKYLINE.

This is 100% the correct part number. DO NOT BUY part number 62890-JK00A, which is what several NISSAN dealerships are incorrectly selling on ebay and their own websites as a direct fit emblem for the USDM G37 Sedan. It does not fit. I know from firsthand experience after buying the incorrect emblem. The prongs (or fingers) on the back of the emblem do not clear the horizontal slats in the grille. None of the dealership parts dept. staff had actually tried to see if the parts were compatible and in one instance, I was told to Dremel the emblem. SMH.

It's important to note that the 2010-2013 USDM Infiniti G37 Sedan grille is the same as the JDM NISSAN Skyline V36 Sedan grille. So ultimately, you just need the front emblem, not the whole grille assembly like I ended up purchasing.

In my case, I wasn't confident in the information I was getting from two different NISSAN dealerships, so I decided to look elsewhere and go straight to the source: Japan. I came across an ebay user by the name of jdm_enjoy_shoppin and contacted him after I saw a cached ebay listing of a Skyline V36 Sedan grille. I contacted him about getting a new V36 grille because at that point I didn't know if there were two different grilles and I didn't have an accurate part number for just the NISSAN emblem. This seller was super cool to deal with, knew exactly what I was looking for and was able to get it. I ended up buying the V36 grille assembly for $244.00 + $79 shipping from Japan and had it in a week. I have included Nogami-san's complete contact information at the end of this post.

Here's what I bought:

Here's what I received: the JDM NISSAN Skyline V36 Sedan grille assembly.
Note that this part includes BOTH the grille and the NISSAN emblem, which I was okay with since my OEM grille is 6 years old and beat to hell.

Back of JDM NISSAN Skyline V36 Sedan grille:
Note that the part numbers are the same three part numbers listed on the back of the USDM Infiniti G37 Sedan grille.

Side-by-side comparison of the USDM Infiniti G37 Sedan grille (top) and the JDM NISSAN Skyline V36 Sedan grille (bottom):
Note that the JDM version is chrome on the back, but I think this may be simply what all newer grilles look like and not a distinct characteristic of the JDM grille itself. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Front of grille with emblem removed (same on both USDM and JDM grilles):
This will accept both the USDM Infiniti "Mt. Fuji" emblem or the JDM NISSAN hamburger emblem. You can even get fries with that.

Rear of JDM NISSAN Skyline V36 Sedan front grille emblem:

Correct part number for the JDM Skyline V36 Sedan front grille emblem:

Test-fitting the JDM Skyline V36 Sedan front grille emblem in the USDM Infiniti grille. Clears the slats with zero issues because it was designed to fit this part.

Swapping in the JDM grille assembly.
For a great DIY tutorial on how to remove your existing grille, check out this write up from sTiLLBaLLiN37 https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...nt-grille.html

Basic exterior rear conversion

What you need:
Qty 1, NISSAN emblem, NISSAN part number 84890-JK000 (Unable to find a description)
Qty 1, "S K Y L I N E" lettering, NISSAN part number 84895-JK000 EMBLEM, TRUNK LID, SKYLINE
Qty 1, "370GT" labeling, NISSAN part number 84896-JU40A EMBLEM, TRUNK LID, SKYLINE

I'm running bare, so I'm including a pic of what the JDM NISSAN Skyline V36 Sedan rear looks like.

What it should look like:

Wheel centercaps conversion

What you need:
Qty 4, NISSAN center caps, NISSAN part number 40343-5Y700

This has a 50mm back that interfaces with the center bore of your wheel and a 54mm face. The nice thing is that this is a pretty universal NISSAN part number and will fit a variety of OEM Infiniti wheels. So it's an easy changeover.

My car has the 18" upgraded wheel package (aka the "Sport" wheels from yesteryear). Here's how mine looks:

Hope this helps. Edits/corrections welcomed.

Want to order any of these items? Please feel free to reach out to jdm_enjoy_shoppin directly.

The contact's name is Kazuhiro Nogami and he is located in Osaka, Japan.

Email: sales@jdmyamato.com
Web site: https://www.jdmyamato.com
ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/jdmenjoyshoppin/
Pinterest: https://pinterest.com/jdmyamato/

Current pricing on grille/emblems from JDM Yamato:

Grille-Radiator Assembly w/front NISSAN emblem, 62310-1NF5B: $244

Front NISSAN emblem only, 62890-1NF1B: $23 USD

Rear NISSAN emblem, 84890-JK000: $23 USD

Rear S K Y L I N E lettering, 84895-JK000: $44 USD

Rear 370GT emblem, 84896-JU40A: $23 USD

Current pricing on the VQ37VHR NISSAN labeled engine cover:

Engine cover, 14041-EY01B: $105 USD

SHIPPING FROM JAPAN
The quote I received from JDM Yamato on a single emblem is pretty steep at $24 USD. For comparison, I paid $79 USD for shipping of my front grille/emblem assembly. JDM Yamato only ships Japan Post, which means it's traceable and interfaces with USPS, and you'll get it in about a week or less. Obviously, it's in your best interest to order multiple items at once to save on shipping costs. Ultimately, you will want to contact Nogami-san at JDM Yamato directly to determine how to keep the shipping costs more manageable.

Good luck and happy motoring!

Last edited by G37_4DR; 05-22-2017 at 09:06 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by G37_4DR:
4DRZ (05-18-2017), AdamBritt (11-01-2017), blnewt (05-18-2017), Eirksmal (05-17-2017), ILM-NC G37S (05-18-2017), Lego_Maniac (05-18-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-17-2017, 11:05 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Nice! Did I read this right that the Nissan badge that you got for the front grille will actually fit our stock Infiniti grille? That is good news. If I decide to go this route I just need to figure out where in the world to find the Nissan airbag/horn cover for the steering wheel.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:17 PM
G37_4DR

Yes it will. But when I Googled that part number, there weren't a lot of matches. I'm going to follow up with the JDM source and see if this is something he can and is willing to get now that we know only the emblem is needed. Another option is to call one of the NISSAN dealerships and educate them about the correct part number and see if they're able to track it down.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:44 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Great write-up! You really did your homework to get it all right. Nice guide for others wishing to do the same.

Are you planning to do the rear and the engine bay too?
The following users liked this post:
G37_4DR (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 09:24 AM
G37_4DR

Originally Posted by blnewt
Great write-up! You really did your homework to get it all right. Nice guide for others wishing to do the same.

Are you planning to do the rear and the engine bay too?
Thanks blnewt. Removing the trunk emblems was actually my first mod to the car - much to my wife's disapproval. I love the blank, unmarked look in the rear, but I'm also kind of leaning towards getting something back there to complete the basic exterior conversion myself. I guess what's holding me up is my own OCD. I'd only want to do this if I could get the badges and lettering 100% lined up in the correct spots. So, in short, I am considering it. Probably need to get measurements of where the badges are placed. Ideally, from an actual JDM Skyline V36 owner, but a USDM G37 Sedan would suffice and since my neighbor still has the emblems on her car, I can measure those.

As far as the engine cover, I would be interested in doing this and will inquire with that JDM contact and see what these cost. Even though it seems like it would be, the engine cover for the USDM NISSAN 370Z engine cover is not the same.

Here's a pic of the Skyline V36 engine cover. Literally it is the same as the USDM G37 sedan/coupe in terms of the one-piece, full design with a cut-out for the oil filler cap, but has a NISSAN logo instead.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:18 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Thanks a ton for doing all the research on this. I know we were both coming up empty initially. Let me know if you ever have any luck with the steering wheel cover. Maybe your JDM source can get one.

I was also thinking the stock 370Z engine cover would work. Bummer. Maybe you could just take the cover off and add a small emblem to the intake plenum. When I got the Z1 intake plenum it came with an emblem on it and I decided to leave the engine cover off to hopefully release a little more heat since the Infiniti emblem melted off at a track day last fall. It looks decent, especially with the Z1 intakes attached. I will find out this weekend if the Z1 emblem has any better luck staying attached on track.

G37_4DR (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 10:30 AM
G37_4DR

You bet, 4DRZ. I just sent a message to that contact with some part # pricing inquiries and shared the link to this thread. I'll ask about the steering wheel airbag covers once he replies.
4DRZ (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 10:43 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,254 Likes on 1,016 Posts
re: Engine cover

Thought I would share that the part number for the OEM Nissan engine cover for the VQ37VHR is 14041-EY01B and runs about $95 (US).

Problem is that because of the large size, shipping- from the quotes I have received thus far- averages $50-75.
G37_4DR (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 12:50 PM
G37_4DR

Old 05-18-2017, 08:21 PM
Bommerang
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Has anyone found a link or seller for the front grille emblem yet? I've searched around for a bit, but can only find the incorrect grille emblem that does not fit, really don't want to buy an entire new grille.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:37 PM
G37_4DR

Originally Posted by Bommerang
Has anyone found a link or seller for the front grille emblem yet? I've searched around for a bit, but can only find the incorrect grille emblem that does not fit, really don't want to buy an entire new grille.
Bommerang, if you can hang tight for a couple of days, I have an inquiry into that contact, jdm_enjoy_shoppin and asked if he could obtain just the front grille emblem now that we know the correct part number. I'll relay that information here as soon as he responds back and hopefully we'll have a reliable source for these parts and everyone can benefit. I'll keep you posted.

Link to his ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/jdmenjoyshoppin/

Link to his website: https://www.jdmyamato.com/
Old 05-18-2017, 08:43 PM
Bommerang
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by G37_4DR
Bommerang, if you can hang tight for a couple of days, I have an inquiry into that contact, jdm_enjoy_shoppin and asked if he could obtain just the front grille emblem now that we know the correct part number. I'll relay that information here as soon as he responds back and hopefully we'll have a reliable source for these parts and everyone can benefit. I'll keep you posted.
Ah thank you so much, I've been wanting to do this for so long! It'll be worth the wait I'm sure. Hats off to you and all your research, I think its gonna be awesome to see more Gs with their rightful badges.
G37_4DR (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 08:50 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,254 Likes on 1,016 Posts
I have used amayama.com for most of my JDM parts and jessestreeter.com for a few others. I have not had any issues with either.

That said, the emblem (p/n: 62890-1NF1B) is currently $20.83 at amayama not including shipping.

Just wanted to throw that out there. Hopefully this new seller will be a great goto source for JDM parts.
G37_4DR (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 10:24 PM
G37_4DR

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
I have used amayama.com for most of my JDM parts and jessestreeter.com for a few others. I have not had any issues with either.

That said, the emblem (p/n: 62890-1NF1B) is currently $20.83 at amayama not including shipping.

Just wanted to throw that out there. Hopefully this new seller will be a great goto source for JDM parts.
Great to know and thanks for the heads up!
Old 05-19-2017, 12:36 AM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Love it OP!
370z engine cover fits and exsposes more stuff. I went that route for my conversion.

Name:  20170509_191520_zpsop1rm1yt.jpg
Views: 5791
Size:  381.3 KB
G37_4DR (05-19-2017)