D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Grounding kits made simple, step by step guide to making your own!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 07:44 PM
hammonds42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really didn't think this would help but was worth a try. Wow what a crazy difference. Music is louder and shift way better. It was shifting a little rough in gears 2 and 3 and it is like butter now. Thanks for the write up!
Old 07-08-2014, 03:23 PM
steelsnow

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just did this mod on my '11 g37s. I don't feel like it was a night and day difference, but I will say that everything is just a tad better than before. Throttle response is slightly better, the music is a little clearer and the shifting is a little more firm. The wire lengths seems to have worked out for me. I ended up going with 4 guage wire and put it in wire loom so it looks like stock wires. Pretty DL looking overall.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Twista

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Also just did this and noticed a very good improvement in the audio system. From the little sprinted driving I did, I didn't notice any lag or harsh shifts unless I let it redline. For what it cost and the time I would recommend doing it.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:36 PM
Spectre08

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the DIY!

Noticed immediate improvements in tiptropic shifting and also the increase in audio quality. Well worth the negligible costs for parts and gave me an excuse to finally learn soldering lol.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:28 PM
xxx4reggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hey guys,
so i was thinking of doing this. Went down to the local shops to get pricing on the tools, it's going to be about 60 dollars plus tax.
went to stillen site: STILLEN Grounding Kit - Red Wires 606358R | STILLEN
90 dollars.

I'm probably going to do stillen but was wondering does it fit the 2011 g37 sedan? the engine bay should be the same right?

if not, can anyone link or give the exact parts to buy to make these? I feel as if i'm getting ripped off at the local shops (which there are only 2 by my place)
Old 07-30-2014, 02:07 PM
Darth Kinetic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
I am curious. Are these "improvements" a result of the grounding OR a result of disconecting and reconnecting the battery??
Old 08-05-2014, 11:50 PM
flipmode007
Premier Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Thanks for the DIY!!!!1

Finally I decided to follow the instructions, First off I went to princess auto and bought all the supply needed

12 ft. of 8 gauge oxygen free copper cable
6 individual 8 gauge ring terminals
3 individual 4 gauge ring terminals
Crimping tool and wire stripper
some zip ties for neatness, if you desire (I didn't use any)
also bought flux and solder
total cost over $80 well worth it plus I have

I couldn't find the 4 gauge ring terminals there and at the Canadian tire so I had to go to go to future shop, also bought the wrong 8 gauge ring terminals, best place to get them best buy or future shop in automotive section.

while i waited for the car to cool down I decided to remove the g37xs and that took a while lol.

So I followed the instructions, I added 1 inches to every wire just in case **** happen (insurance).

As I come to do step 4, the bolt broke so decided to put it where the air filter was.

Step 8 same thing happen bolt broke where I was suppose to connect F

Step 10 same fcking happen again lol bolt broke thank god I had another small bolt.
final product was great.

Now i have to get a kit and try to remove all those broken bolts and replace them

To all the other member did you guys notice the car revving smother then before?? my neighbor notice it on the spot.
I also notice a better and faster response on the performance and the audio was louder which is nice lol

here's a little video.

anyone noticing the engine revving lower too?
My neighbor is so impress he want to install a kit on his maxima.
Attached Thumbnails Grounding kits made simple, step by step guide to making your own!-img_2548.jpg   Grounding kits made simple, step by step guide to making your own!-img_2553.jpg  
Old 08-06-2014, 07:45 PM
mpegripper
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
any idea what the size of the terminals actually are, just don't want one with too small of a hole. don't wanna have to drill everyone out further,nor do i want it too big where i'd need to add a washer or re-crimp with a smaller one...

mcmaster sells 4 & 8 gauge ranging from 1/4" to 3/4" screws diameters
Old 08-06-2014, 11:20 PM
flipmode007
Premier Member

Originally Posted by mpegripper
any idea what the size of the terminals actually are, just don't want one with too small of a hole. don't wanna have to drill everyone out further,nor do i want it too big where i'd need to add a washer or re-crimp with a smaller one...

mcmaster sells 4 & 8 gauge ranging from 1/4" to 3/4" screws diameters
I got those at future shop and best buy in the car audio department and they work like a charm.
Attached Thumbnails Grounding kits made simple, step by step guide to making your own!-img_2559.jpg   Grounding kits made simple, step by step guide to making your own!-img_2560.jpg   Grounding kits made simple, step by step guide to making your own!-img_2561.jpg   Grounding kits made simple, step by step guide to making your own!-img_2562.jpg  
Old 08-07-2014, 02:47 AM
mpegripper
Registered Member

ah canada, where everything also has french (lived in mississauga for 3 months)...thanks for the pics...5/16" it is
The following users liked this post:
flipmode007 (08-08-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 01:34 PM
xxx4reggie

quick question.
i was looking at this thread too and this one has a few grounding points that are different then yours, any reason if that makes a difference?

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...g-kit-diy.html
C, D and E
Old 08-08-2014, 11:22 PM
flipmode007
Premier Member

Originally Posted by xxx4reggie
quick question.
i was looking at this thread too and this one has a few grounding points that are different then yours, any reason if that makes a difference?

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...g-kit-diy.html
C, D and E
The reason why is I drive a 2009, some of the bolts were never removed and I didn't use Wd40 and guess what happen when I tried lol, some snap so I had to place them in different location. But it doesn't matter where you put them as long as it goes from the engine to the body of the car.

hope that help
Old 08-08-2014, 11:25 PM
flipmode007
Premier Member

Originally Posted by mpegripper
ah canada, where everything also has french (lived in mississauga for 3 months)...thanks for the pics...5/16" it is
eh I speak french too lmao, hope you liked it when you were here.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:38 AM
mpegripper
Registered Member

Originally Posted by flipmode007
The reason why is I drive a 2009, some of the bolts were never removed and I didn't use Wd40 and guess what happen when I tried lol, some snap so I had to place them in different location. But it doesn't matter where you put them as long as it goes from the engine to the body of the car.

hope that help
damn, mine is a 2010. i hope they aren't that stuck when i do it

eh I speak french too lmao, hope you liked it when you were here.
its a great place, but you just can't beat the weather that we have in california
Old 08-11-2014, 09:01 AM
xxx4reggie

hope that help
ah ok, so i'll change my dip stick ground to the other one and see how that is.
thanks!

Quick Reply: DIY: Grounding kits made simple, step by step guide to making your own!