D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

backyard DIY spring install

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 11:50 AM
vamarris

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kamikazejs

- AWD models have a different lower strut perch than pictured here. It's more of a wishbone that fits over the driveline shaft, with the downside that you won't be able to push the rotor and lower control arm down all the way to remove the strut. You'll need to unbolt the lower strut perch and the metal bracket that keeps it from sliding down, then push the lower strut perch down against the driveshaft.

- To remove the strut easily, unbolt the single hinge on the upper A-arm.. the one that sticks in your face, NOT the two that connect the A-arm to the engine bay (For many springs such as Eibachs, there is not enough clearance between the coils to remove or reinstall the two bolts at the top of the upper A-arm, which can mean redoing a lot of work!). Once that's done simply push the upper A-arm up out of the way and rotate the spring/shock down partway down, then lift up out of the lower strut perch and pull out.
2011 G37x here and need to get my new Eibachs installed. When I removed nut off of the A-arm I could not get the bolt out to pull out of the other side. The A-arm was pushing down against the bolt from the other side and I was afraid of marring the threads or something. I had to pry the A-arm up in order to get the left side back in to re assemble. I put a jack under the lower control arm but that did not help at all. Do I need to jack up both sides of the car to relive tension or something?? Any help is certainly appreciated. Thanks!!
backyard DIY spring install-xfp8ojg.jpg
Old 07-06-2015, 03:44 PM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
i used a jack to hold it in the original position... unbolted it all the way out without compromising the threads...
wanted to hammer it out but figured the threads will guide it out regardless if it got to the smooth area or not...
had no problems with the install other than the fact that the eibachs had very little area to use the spring compressor against...
..and she drew first blood.. slipped while torqueing and hit the brake shield..
Attached Thumbnails backyard DIY spring install-20150706_155045.jpg  

Last edited by micafd3s; 07-06-2015 at 03:55 PM.