D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

backyard DIY spring install

Old 10-11-2008, 10:28 PM
prince542

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
backyard DIY spring install

received my springs in the mail a couple of days ago from hpauto.. thanks Andy decided to do a quick DIY for everyone that wants to save a couple hundred bucks.
okay straight to the point.. these are the tools you'll need:
jack stands
hyd. jack
sz. 12, 14, 17, 19mm sockets and open wrenches
ratchet, 1/2 extensions, torque pipe
lube spray
rubber mallet
and most important, spring compressor

first off this is a 2 man job make sure you have a buddy right beside you. okay we'll start with the front. make sure your handbrake is up and stoppers in the back tires.
First, jack the car up from front side to side and properly place the jack stands in place. (the jack point in front of the car is pretty deep and couldnt slide a jack under there) unbolt and remove the tire. second unbolt the brake line shown in the picture.

next pull out the sensors by hand
Name:  IMG_2652.jpg
Views: 4041
Size:  47.9 KB

then, remove the 4 bolts shown in the picture. these are probably the hardest to come off. we used lube and a torque bar for better leverage. also turning the steering wheel to get the rotors out of the way helps alot.
Name:  BoltRemoval.jpg
Views: 4267
Size:  54.4 KB

after getting the middle bolt off (blue)use the end side of the extension and give it a lil knock to loosen up the bolt. it should come off easily after. once all 4 bolts are out remove the black plate and your bottom part of the strut is now free! unbolt the 3 bolts on top and the strut should be loose
Name:  IMG_2671.jpg
Views: 4072
Size:  89.9 KB

time to pull out the strut.. have your friend push down on the rotor. get the strut as low as possible while maneuvering the strut out. NOTE: watch out for the sensors and break lines. almost snagged one. (if your having trouble with this you can unbolt the a-arm)

Name:  IMG_2674.jpg
Views: 4066
Size:  57.3 KB

once the shocks are out, lay it on the ground and use a impact to loosen the bolt. looks kind of scary but there really is no compression in the stock springs. just a bit of a jolt when it unbolts.
Name:  IMG_2678.jpg
Views: 4166
Size:  152.5 KB

heres a comparison with stock and eibachs
Name:  IMG_2679.jpg
Views: 4134
Size:  98.0 KB

next, compress the spring. this is the scary part. please be carefull! need your buddy here too. once you get it compressed, use a open wrench to tighten the nut back and a open box wrench to hold tip of the bolt. make sure you transfer everything that came from the stock. all your switching out is the spring itself. not cutting involved also.

Name:  IMG_2693.jpg
Views: 4067
Size:  99.4 KB

install the sucker back in and repeat on the other side.. also make sure the springs are are on right and not upside down.
Name:  IMG_2702.jpg
Views: 4079
Size:  41.6 KB

the rear is simple, one bolt. remove the bolt push down on the arm and remove the spring. transfer the rubber bushing to the new springs and set it back in.
Name:  IMG_2723.jpg
Views: 4116
Size:  89.9 KB

use a jack to compress the spring and match the holes into place. tap the bolt lightly into place and it should slide right in.
Name:  IMG_2737.jpg
Views: 4093
Size:  82.1 KB
Name:  IMG_2738.jpg
Views: 4058
Size:  40.6 KB
Name:  IMG_2739.jpg
Views: 4053
Size:  43.3 KB

thats about it... difficulty is probably 2 1/2 out of 5 without the proper tools.
should be a breeze with a compressor, lift, etc..
hope this helps guys! feel free to ask questions and for those whose done this, please add on to this. i'll be doing my allignment as soon as the springs settle i'll post some after pics also.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice Job... Now where's the after pics?
Old 10-11-2008, 11:06 PM
prince542

^ theyll be up soon! got to clean her up first.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:28 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

thats how my install was. The rears were very easy, i couldn't believe it. for the fronts i was following a different guide, and i had issues until i realized i had to remove that bracket holding the front strut on. The rest was cake.

nice pics, thanks for sharing
Old 10-12-2008, 04:27 AM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice!
Old 10-12-2008, 09:46 AM
peterbanks

I'm gonna have to get these springs. Perfect drop. Great work, and thanks for the DIY.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:17 AM
37drift

Will this work with 4WAS?
Old 10-21-2008, 05:05 AM
Hawaiian72099

Hey bro I see that you stole one of my most important tools! Lol it's good to see I am not the only alcoholic who works on cars while drinking Heineken I bet it came in handy when compressing the spring started to **** you off, I know it worked great for me. Guess there are two 370s riding on eibachs nowPost some pics of what the finished product looked like, and thanks for the DIY!
Old 10-22-2008, 12:42 AM
ppc

Originally Posted by prince542
first off this is a 2 man job make sure you have a buddy right beside you.

thats about it... difficulty is probably 2 1/2 out of 5 without the proper tools.
should be a breeze with a compressor, lift, etc..
hope this helps guys! feel free to ask questions and for those whose done this, please add on to this. i'll be doing my allignment as soon as the springs settle i'll post some after pics also.

I have not done this on the G37 but on several other vehicles. If I'm all wet please don't chastise me! The secret is to disconnect the upper ball joint and let the spindle completely disconnect from the upper A-arm. Start by loosening the nut on the ball joint, smack the spindle with a BFH to break loose then completely remove the nut on the ball joint and seperate. There is no prying as the entire spring/strut assembly almost falls off or lifts out. Strictly a one man job. The most time consuming part is jacking the car up and taking the wheel on and off.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:28 AM
Hawaiian72099

Originally Posted by ppc
I have not done this on the G37 but on several other vehicles. If I'm all wet please don't chastise me! The secret is to disconnect the upper ball joint and let the spindle completely disconnect from the upper A-arm. Start by loosening the nut on the ball joint, smack the spindle with a BFH to break loose then completely remove the nut on the ball joint and seperate. There is no prying as the entire spring/strut assembly almost falls off or lifts out. Strictly a one man job. The most time consuming part is jacking the car up and taking the wheel on and off.
I am pretty sure you can do it by yourself if that's what you are asking, because I pretty much did the whole thing myself. But I had a hydraulic lift instead of just jacking it up with floor jacks. Does not take much to break it loose so be carefull. I know for myself It almost hit me in the face because I was used to Honda joints where you got to heat it up before you can break it loose. The way G was designed was that the joint has an actual groove in it that is held in place by the bolt. Once the bold comes out, please watch out because it can just drop out on you. Hope this helps and makes sense. Someone can correct me if I am mistaken.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:49 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by prince542
^ theyll be up soon! got to clean her up first.
Dang bro, you just had to keep us waiting for the after pics huh?!
You should be able to clean your car today. It hasn't rained, yet. LOL!
BTW, someone bought the Axis Elites from ProLine already, its on another G similar to mine. I saw it parked by Hagatna post office this morning.

Originally Posted by Hawaiian72099
Hey bro I see that you stole one of my most important tools! Lol it's good to see I am not the only alcoholic who works on cars while drinking Heineken I bet it came in handy when compressing the spring started to **** you off, I know it worked great for me. Guess there are two 370s riding on eibachs nowPost some pics of what the finished product looked like, and thanks for the DIY!

Sooner or later, there'll be three.

Last edited by myk1013; 10-22-2008 at 02:52 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:19 AM
prince542

sorry for the delay.. finally gotten around to some pics. pics kinda suck, it was starting to get dark.
Name:  IMG_2749.jpg
Views: 3982
Size:  96.9 KB
Name:  IMG_2751.jpg
Views: 3939
Size:  65.1 KB
Name:  IMG_2752.jpg
Views: 3920
Size:  67.9 KB
Name:  IMG_2757.jpg
Views: 3898
Size:  58.5 KB
Name:  IMG_2759.jpg
Views: 3861
Size:  61.6 KB
eibach quick review:
very mild drop. alot of my friends cant really tell from looking at it but i can. front is perfect but wish the back was a little bit lower. hopefully it will settle. the ride quality is great. doesnt really feel like your driving a boat anymore. little harsher on bumps versus stock but not that bad. the drop does need a camber kit. thatll be th next thing i get.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:39 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Nice bro!

I like the debadge.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:32 PM
AndrewDDS

So, hypothetically speaking, lets say someone lived alone and had no friends who were willing to help him. Lets also say that the only jack this person has is the one that comes with the car, in the spare tire kit. And this person doesn't own jack stands. Furthermore, the only tools he owns are a few wrenches and ratchets and screwdrivers.

Could he do the rears by himself? Or should he just suck it up and pay someone to do the whole job?
Old 11-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Hawaiian72099

You should be able to do the back yourself with the tools you mentioned. Just use the jack to relieve the spring tention by lifting the plate that holds the spring in place and just remove one of the 2 bolts holding the plate to the car (17mm or 19mm I think) and then lower the jack.

Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
So, hypothetically speaking, lets say someone lived alone and had no friends who were willing to help him. Lets also say that the only jack this person has is the one that comes with the car, in the spare tire kit. And this person doesn't own jack stands. Furthermore, the only tools he owns are a few wrenches and ratchets and screwdrivers.

Could he do the rears by himself? Or should he just suck it up and pay someone to do the whole job?
The following users liked this post:
teonguyen (08-11-2013)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: backyard DIY spring install