D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Betty's Garage Grounding Wires DIY - 15 minute Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 12:13 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Betty's Garage Grounding Wires DIY - 15 minute Installation

This is for those who have received the Grounding Wire sets and are ready to install. Got 15 minutes? Then you've got time to install these.

First and foremost, ALWAYS REMEMBER TO DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE ANYTIME YOU ARE DOING ANYTHING WITH YOUR CAR'S ELECTRICAL SYSTEM. I can't stress that enough. A fried ECU is extremely unlikely, but why take the chance of a $1200 mistake that could have been solved so easily.

Tools you'll need:
  • deep 10 mm socket (if you don't have a deep 10 mm socket you can use a short extension)
  • ratchet
1. Did I already say to disconnect the negative battery cable? Well I'm saying it again. It's important.

2. Connect either end of the longest wire to the negative battery cable as shown. Don't reconnect it to the battery until the very last step.

3. Run the wire along the bundled wires that exit the front of the battery box. There is enough room to run it through the same grommet. Use the included cable ties to attach it to the bundle of wires already there to make a clean and stock looking installation.

4. Connect the other end of the longest wire to the bolt shown here where there is a tiny ground wire already attached to the front of the strut tower on the passenger side right behind the power steering fluid reservoir. I ran mine underneath the reservoir bracket. Don't screw the bolt back in yet.

5. Attach either end of the second longest wire to the same bolt where you just terminated the first one. Be sure to place both grounding wire ring terminals underneath the puny wire. Screw the bolt back in tight.

6. Run the second longest wire underneath the passenger side intake tubing and attach to the bolt shown here on the front to the engine block (passenger side). Screw the bolt back in tight.

7. Attach either end of the shortest wire to the bolt shown here on the front to the engine block (driver side). You may need a deep socket or short extension here. Screw the bolt back in tight.

8. Run the shortest wire underneath the passenger side intake tubing and attach the other end of the short wire to the bolt shown here that holds the bracket for the relay box. Screw the bolt back in tight.

9. Reconnect the negative battery cable (along with the longest wire) and tighten.

Voila! You are done.

Gentlemen, start your engines!
Old 07-11-2008, 12:24 AM
NJlakeshoreG
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sweet good writeup BB
Old 07-11-2008, 02:39 AM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thatnks for the write up. I'll try to install these tomorrow after work!
Old 07-11-2008, 11:16 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ill use this today... Good job....
Old 07-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice DIY...
Old 07-25-2008, 11:14 PM
leeladisky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So... question of the hour - I'm planning to order, but my concern is that if I ever return to the stealership with an electrical related anomaly (i.e., ECU, radio, etc.), could they blame this mod and make my life hell? Regardless of the stealership being right or wrong, could this cause a fight?

Lee
Old 07-26-2008, 12:17 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well the problem with electronics on the car (from what I hear) they are usually not covered under the warrenty that long. I might be wrong so someone can answer this but it has been something I have been told.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:21 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by leeladisky
So... question of the hour - I'm planning to order, but my concern is that if I ever return to the stealership with an electrical related anomaly (i.e., ECU, radio, etc.), could they blame this mod and make my life hell? Regardless of the stealership being right or wrong, could this cause a fight?

Lee
It could quite possibly be an issue. I would think if you had anything electrical in nature wrong with your car this would be the first thing they'd try to blame it on. That being said, if it were me I'd take 10 minutes and completely remove every trace of its existence before taking it in for anything electrical. It really is pretty quick and easy to take on or off. That makes it a non issue.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:51 AM
Jkg37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have issue with transmission again(delay, surge,etc) can dealership blame it on grounding kit? if grounding kits have nothing to do with the transmission,
i will just take my car as is... but if not im taking it off before take my car to dealership
Old 10-15-2008, 04:32 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by onlyhyon
i have issue with transmission again(delay, surge,etc) can dealership blame it on grounding kit? if grounding kits have nothing to do with the transmission,
i will just take my car as is... but if not im taking it off before take my car to dealership
Answered in your thread, but I'd take it off. Highly unlikely the wires could cause a problem, but take them off temporarily and save yourself the hassle if the dealer would care.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Blackjack
Answered in your thread, but I'd take it off. Highly unlikely the wires could cause a problem, but take them off temporarily and save yourself the hassle if the dealer would care.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What he said. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 11-29-2008, 05:26 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently purchased the 4gauge CF grounding kit from you, and yesterday night attempted to install.

Step 3, I'm not sure how to start running it through the same grommet. Should I thread it in from the outside? or do i need to expand the grommet or push the existing wire tubing to slip it in?

Step 8, The wire tubing seems to be pretty tightly connected and very much in the way. How do I move this away w/o damaging anything to make room to unscrew the bolt?

3. Run the wire along the bundled wires that exit the front of the battery box. There is enough room to run it through the same grommet. Use the included cable ties to attach it to the bundle of wires already there to make a clean and stock looking installation.

8. Run the shortest wire underneath the passenger side intake tubing and attach the other end of the short wire to the bolt shown here that holds the bracket for the relay box. Screw the bolt back in
tight.

PS. The grounding wires look great =)
Old 11-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by kkokko
I recently purchased the 4gauge CF grounding kit from you, and yesterday night attempted to install.

Step 3, I'm not sure how to start running it through the same grommet. Should I thread it in from the outside? or do i need to expand the grommet or push the existing wire tubing to slip it in?

Step 8, The wire tubing seems to be pretty tightly connected and very much in the way. How do I move this away w/o damaging anything to make room to unscrew the bolt?

8. Run the shortest wire underneath the passenger side intake tubing and attach the other end of the short wire to the bolt shown here that holds the bracket for the relay box. Screw the bolt back in
tight.

PS. The grounding wires look great =)
I responded via PM. I thought these instructions were pretty self explanatory, but maybe not. Just push the wire thorough the battery box hole as shown, I don't know how to explain it any better. On the last one, just move the wire bundle out of the way with your hand, it won't pull loose.

Last edited by Black Betty; 11-29-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:50 PM
B L U E S L A T E
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still haven't gotten a quote from you. It's been quite some time, too. lol
Old 11-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by B L U E S L A T E
I still haven't gotten a quote from you. It's been quite some time, too. lol
Uh-oh! I'm sorry, I forgot what you even asked me about. That's no way to do business, my bad. Shoot me a PM and whatever it was, I'll give you a special price for forgetting about you.

Quick Reply: Betty's Garage Grounding Wires DIY - 15 minute Installation