D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Reversing the shift direction for 5AT

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 04:23 PM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by techknowguy
Or, do they stay the same?
Paddle shifters would not be affected by this mod.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Infinite.G
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This mod is an absolute must for anybody that drives their 5AT hard in manual mode...

Think about it. When driving a stick, the hardest shifts are early on (i.e. 1-2)... it's only natural to want to pull back when accelerating and upshifting. And downshifts are usually made by pushing up (i.e. 6-5, 4-3)... common sense.

I got my windows tinted on the way back from the dealership, and did this on day two.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:56 AM
1NEETO

Great mod. I was absolutely surprised when I first tried DS mode and tried to upshift and oops! I downshifted! Stuck with the paddle shifters ever since. Even my bro in law's mazda3 has reverse shifting.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:01 PM
bitNine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I came from an 08 Lancer Evolution MR with a dual clutch tranny, and it had the shifter swapped. I was so confused by it until I realized how much easier it made it to shift.

Just popped open the panel on my new G last night with the 7AT, and it looks like the harness is identical. I'll be swapping that soon!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:15 PM
wlmngtn

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
^keep us updated. I would like to reverse the shifting direction on my 7AT also.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:06 PM
bitNine

I keep meaning to sit down and do this, but haven't had the time. The biggest obstacle for me that differs from this how to, is that there's a small rounded panel above the transmission shifter panel that keeps me from pulling the shifter panel out to be able to get to the harness with 2 hands. I tried prying the small trim piece away, but I feel like I'm going to break something. I don't know how it's attached. Kinda wish I could see a breakdown of how it's attached so I know how it comes out.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:21 AM
bluedevils95

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
OH wow! I thought about doing this! I say how the connection work but i am just too lazy to do this.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:40 PM
Infinite.G
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bitNine
I keep meaning to sit down and do this, but haven't had the time. The biggest obstacle for me that differs from this how to, is that there's a small rounded panel above the transmission shifter panel that keeps me from pulling the shifter panel out to be able to get to the harness with 2 hands. I tried prying the small trim piece away, but I feel like I'm going to break something. I don't know how it's attached. Kinda wish I could see a breakdown of how it's attached so I know how it comes out.
Make sure you're in neutral... then it will slide right off the shifter. GL.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:47 PM
12fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello

Originally Posted by Tweakfreak
So I know this thread was started like 2 years ago, but i just wanted to give my 2 cents...

I have an 08 Sedan V36 with the 5AT.
I love the Manual/Sport mode, but I must I was immediately frustrated with the whole "pull back and shift down" thing.

I had a couple high rev "whoops" moments comming out of a turn.

I did this mod and have to say 12fear, you are a GENIUS.

It was a pain in the **** getting those pins in/out, but other than that, smooth sailing.

The car now shifts like performance cars were meant to shift.

12fear, I dont even know if you're still around, but if you are, how the heck did you know which pins to switch?

p.s.- 1st post! whoohoo!
I used to be a master infiniti technician for Nissan
Old 03-13-2012, 10:53 PM
12fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the support will post something new! Stay tuned!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:47 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 12fear
Thanks for the support will post something new! Stay tuned!
This is one of the best mods I've seen here...this is how the shifting should have been from the factory.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Does this procedure work for the 7AT as well?

I don't wanna get in there and have the wires be different colors or the plug be different etc. just don't wanna waste my time.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:27 AM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattster
Does this procedure work for the 7AT as well?

I don't wanna get in there and have the wires be different colors or the plug be different etc. just don't wanna waste my time.
As per my previous posts in this thread, yes, it works for the 7AT. I have also previously posted a JPG with the pin-out diagram and wire colors.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Nothin2Somethin

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
First post but it had to be in this thread, this is an awesome mod. I was getting so annoyed with shifting up in ds mode, being that I'm coming from a 6spd and being used to the shift style of bmw. Great write up and pretty clear instructions as well.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:09 PM
nassiris90

A buddy of mine did this mod, and sadly, his engine was destroyed. His brother took the car out not knowing it had been done, and kept trying to upshift (actually downshifting) while accelerating hard in 1st gear. Needless to say, the + / - symbols may throw unaware drivers off.

Quick Reply: DIY: Reversing the shift direction for 5AT