Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Suggested products for Malbec Black?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:46 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Suggested products for Malbec Black?

Any suggestions on products/product lines for detailing a Malbec Black exterior?

Wanted to start looking at products now, before I need them (plan on detailing the car sometime in the spring, looking forward to all this snow disappearing!)

Thanks.

-Chris
Old 02-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
It really depends on what you are looking to do. You can make it a one step process or a twenty step process, just depends on your goals. Thank you for the inquiry I'd be happy to help. We can definitely help you get your paint looking it's best again. Usually I recommend a full detail at least 1 - 2 times per year and then just wash and protect it as desired. A full detail to me consists of a wash, dry, clay bar, polish, sealant and/or wax. This process will deep clean the paint and make it really shine again while protecting it for months to come.

Wash/Dry - most swirls come from this process so quality products and techniques are critical. Check out our detailing guide for this step and other steps to maximize your efforts. Here are two awesome kits if interested.
DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package

Clay Bar - This step deep cleans the paint so it's free from stubborn build ups not removed by the washing process. This may seem complicated or different but it's pretty simple and basic. In short spray some clay lube on the paint and glide the bar side to side and picks up micro contaminants in the paint. Here is an excellent value on a clay bar and lube - DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube.

Polish - This is the step where you really restore the paint to like new again. You can permanently remove swirls, oxidation, etc. not just temporarily hide them. I was not sure if you were considering getting a buffer or if you were just saying you won't be using one. I highly recommend you consider getting a Porter Cable (PC) as they are so easy to use, vastly improve your results while saving you time and energy. We have some affordable kits that give you the PC, backing plate, pads and polishes you would need here DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's Polishes and Hydro Pads Starter Kit or DI Packages PC 7424XP with M105, M205 and 5.5" pads. Both kits give you the M105 and M205 polishes with the PC that are going to help you really restore the paint to like new. Best of all the PC is easy to use and completely safe even for a first time user. Again check out our detailing guide for step by step instructions and other helpful hints.

If you prefer to do a hand application I generally just recommend a one step process with a foam applicator and Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205.

After polishing protect and enhance the shine with a sealant or wax. Waxes last about 2 - 6 weeks so we generally recommend a sealant which lasts 3 - 6 months. The Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger is my favorite sealant. It provides a remarkable shine with durable protection while easy to apply. You can apply it by hand or use a blue pad and your buffer. If you really want to you can apply a wax on top of the sealant for added protection and shine. The Poorboy's World Liquid Natty's Blue Wax is a great option for a quality liquid wax that works on all colors. If you want a bit more gloss from a paste wax try the Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Series Concourse Paste Wax or any of the Dodo Juice waxes. These options are applied by hand only but the exceptional gloss makes it well worth it.

I hand remove all of the excess product with a clean DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel. These towels are paint safe and help quickly remove the left over clay lube, polish, sealant, etc. I'd suggest getting about 5x - 10x of them.

Now step back and admire how awesome your vehicle looks. If you have any other questions please let me know!

Take care!

Greg @ DI
Old 02-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

I should have mentioned, Im a fairly seasoned DIY detailing nut Already have the buffer, plenty of pads, etc.

I do the "full deal" at least once/yr....dawn dish soap wash to get rid of whatever wax is still there, clay, polish out swirls, final polish to even out the shine, then LSP.

Really just needed a direction to go in regards to product choice. Its been so long since I last bought anything (PoorBoys SSR bottles have lasted me forever, as have my FinishKare sealants and waxes) that I figured there is probably something new and improved out there some where.

I had *excellent* experiences with Finish Kare products, but it looks like getting a hold of more of them is a little iffy.

-Chris
Old 02-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
I should have mentioned, Im a fairly seasoned DIY detailing nut Already have the buffer, plenty of pads, etc.

I do the "full deal" at least once/yr....dawn dish soap wash to get rid of whatever wax is still there, clay, polish out swirls, final polish to even out the shine, then LSP.

Really just needed a direction to go in regards to product choice. Its been so long since I last bought anything (PoorBoys SSR bottles have lasted me forever, as have my FinishKare sealants and waxes) that I figured there is probably something new and improved out there some where.

I had *excellent* experiences with Finish Kare products, but it looks like getting a hold of more of them is a little iffy.

-Chris
Ahhhh...good to know.

If your clay is clean and in good shape you can stick with that. If not now may be a good time to upgrade - DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube.

I'd still suggest the Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 and Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 combo. Use the M105 with a Lake Country Orange Light Cutting Pad and then use the M205 with a Lake Country White Polishing Pad. It will help remove surface imperfections and bring back a deep shine. I like the PBW polishes but the Megs ones are a noticeable improvement in my experience.

If you want to try something besides the Finish Kare products the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger is awesome. It looks amazing and protects for months to come. You can apply it by hand or with a Lake Country Blue Fine Finishing Pad.

Let me know if there are any other areas you would want a recommendation for. Also don't forget we have free s/h on orders over $50 with the coupon code VDAY11. Take care!

Greg @ DI
Old 02-13-2011, 12:47 AM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
just be careful with scratching the car with all the salt we have on our roads lately
Old 02-13-2011, 08:06 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Ahhhh...good to know.

If your clay is clean and in good shape you can stick with that. If not now may be a good time to upgrade - DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube.

I'd still suggest the Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 and Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 combo. Use the M105 with a Lake Country Orange Light Cutting Pad and then use the M205 with a Lake Country White Polishing Pad. It will help remove surface imperfections and bring back a deep shine. I like the PBW polishes but the Megs ones are a noticeable improvement in my experience.

If you want to try something besides the Finish Kare products the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger is awesome. It looks amazing and protects for months to come. You can apply it by hand or with a Lake Country Blue Fine Finishing Pad.

Let me know if there are any other areas you would want a recommendation for. Also don't forget we have free s/h on orders over $50 with the coupon code VDAY11. Take care!

Greg @ DI
Thanks for the info....Ill take a look. While Im at it, Im looking at new wash product too.......I have the Gilmour foam gun, so something that gives good foam that will slide off the car and take the dirt with it (as cool as it is to see shaving-cream like foam, I prefer to watch the foam slide off and take the dirt with it).

Also, any suggested products for cleaning the interior? I use Lexol for leather cleaning and conditioning, but Ive never gotten a good product for plastic/vinyl. I think Ill stick with 303 as a protectant, that seems to be a product for the ages.

Originally Posted by da mayor
just be careful with scratching the car with all the salt we have on our roads lately
Yeah, its a mess up here in the northeast huh? I have my trust Gilmour foam gun, probably going to use it 2 or 3 times and let the foam slide off the car and take the dirt with it, before I even touch the paint with a sponge (trusty grout sponge of course!)
Old 02-13-2011, 02:24 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I grew up in RI. Born there and left at 17. Been in warm climates (Philippines and Southern CA) ever since.

Not going back to snow. Ever.

I've been using Meguiar's NXT 2.0 with good results. I'm not super knowledgeable on detailing, though, like you all appear to be.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...?T1=MEG+G12718
Old 02-14-2011, 08:18 AM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Chris,

As someone else with a black car, I would recommend the Megs line also. Ive used Megs and Menzerna polishes and I think the Megs 205 allows me to do a 1 step refinish when I get minor swirl marks and scratches.

Menzerna ive been using the 205S power finish and then the PO85RD finishing polish. Green/white pad with the power finish and black with the PO85RD. Personally, I think I get more correcting power with the Megs 205 and I think it finishes nicer. If I didnt already have the PO85RD, then Id probably just do a 1 step refinish.

I still have some Menzerna power finish and I'll use that for 1 step refinishes on friends cars who arent as **** as I am and on the wifes car but once that runs out, Im sticking with the M205.

And Im going to ever so slightly disagree with Greg's suggestion..... 105 and 205 is a great combo, but I think the hydro tech pads work a little better than the regular orange and white pads with the Megs polishes.

Ive been using the 105 on orange pad for about a year now. Its been my go-to combo for deeper scratches and scuffs on any color paint and it does work very well. I just got the hydro tech pads for Xmas and I did a deep scratch on a friends car and I think the hydro tech pad with the M105 seemed to have just a tad bit more cutting power.

Or this could be just me splitting hairs and comparing Toyota paint to Infiniti paint, which probably arent apples to apples.

I also like the new Optimum quick detailer as a clay lube, winter pre-treater before using No Rinse, and then as a quick detailer in the spring/summer/fall time.

And Im assuming you are using a 2 bucket wash with at least 1 grit guard. For a black car, that method and some good microfiber towels is the most important step in minimizing scratches and swirl marks.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:59 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Thanks for the info....Ill take a look. While Im at it, Im looking at new wash product too.......I have the Gilmour foam gun, so something that gives good foam that will slide off the car and take the dirt with it (as cool as it is to see shaving-cream like foam, I prefer to watch the foam slide off and take the dirt with it).

Also, any suggested products for cleaning the interior? I use Lexol for leather cleaning and conditioning, but Ive never gotten a good product for plastic/vinyl. I think Ill stick with 303 as a protectant, that seems to be a product for the ages.
For the foam gun I love the results of the Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II, pick up a gallon it's well worth it. This is a maintenance shampoo that will not strip off a sealant or wax. If you want a product that can remove previous coats of wax and sealant try the Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss which is on sale this month.

If you want a strong yet safe product for the interior I highly recommend the 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover. I use it on the vinyl, plastic, rubber and fabrics. Follow that up with your 303 AP and you will be all set.

Let me know if you have any other questions I'd be happy to help.

Greg @ DI