Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Do you need to wax your car after polishing it

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 08:51 PM
dannbla
LA G Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you need to wax your car after polishing it

Hey whats up everybody
I just finished polishing my car with
Nu Finish car polish
before I polished it I used
Nu Finish Scratch Doctor
to remove some light swirl marks
and I was just wondering if I should wax it now after polishing it
also if anybody else has used these products what they think of them
and if they where happy with the results
thanks
Old 10-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Seer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes, polishes do not protect.

I'm not a fan of nu finish since theyre not very good products, theres a world of great and reasonable priced boutique products all over the net
Old 10-08-2008, 09:05 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
haven't used those products, but...

YES. you must wax/seal your paint after polishing. polishing strips any and all wax/sealant on your car and leaves your paint unprotected.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Seer

youre also not going to get much scratch correction polishing by hand, invest in a pc, or a flex, if youre new to buffing. Most "by hand" polishes are actually fillers, meaning over time, the swirls will come back since the fillers washed away

Last edited by Seer; 10-08-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:32 PM
dannbla
LA G Club

Yeah I was about to get a buffer when I was in Auto Zone they had one there for $25
I think it was made for them(an auto zone product) but it had the different speeds on it with the different pads, but I decided to try those first.
What type of waxes do you guys like
I still have some of that Carnauba Cleaner Wax from the Mothers clay bar kit
which I will probably use right now and I also have the Meguires showtime wax which came with the Meguires clay bar kit
both are the liqued wax not the paste
thanks for the replies

Originally Posted by Seer
youre also not going to get much scratch correction polishing by hand, invest in a pc, or a flex, if youre new to buffing. Most "by hand" polishes are actually fillers, meaning over time, the swirls will come back since the fillers washed away
Old 10-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Seer

Originally Posted by dannbla
Yeah I was about to get a buffer when I was in Auto Zone they had one there for $25
I think it was made for them(an auto zone product) but it had the different speeds on it with the different pads, but I decided to try those first.
I still have some of that Carnauba Cleaner Wax from the Mothers clay bar kit
which I will probably use right now and I also have the Meguires showtime wax which came with the Meguires clay bar kit
both are the liqued wax not the paste
thanks for the replies
Those buffers will not do anything as far as correcting, going to need to invest $100+ into a pc, at minimum.

Cleaner waxes, are also known as all in ones, they clean and protect the paint, and add a little bit of gloss, but do none very good.

Most pro's use 3 seperate products, such as a pre-wax cleaner, a show glaze, then a protective wax coating.

If you don't want to spend a whole lot of money, but want a decent shine, you can buy the 1-2-3 step system from meguiars at pep boys. It's nowhere near as good as the stuff you can buy off the internet at a site like detailedimage etc, but it does the job well for a novice.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:49 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

what is the recommended clay kit to use? I seriously need to detail my car soon the dealer prep swirl marks are killing me.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Spend lots of time in this thread and get answers to just about any car finish care question you could have. Or ask your own questions (if they haven't been asked and answered already). It's a long thread but a good read. I guarantee you'll get some information to help you out. From professionals who know what they're talking about.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Seer

Originally Posted by NIGHTLFEphantom
what is the recommended clay kit to use? I seriously need to detail my car soon the dealer prep swirl marks are killing me.

well clay bars wont remove swirls, just clean the embedded surface contaminents. I'd stay away from store bought bars, buy one off george at detailedimage, I really like the chemical guys claybars, or the pro meguiars bars. Clay magic also makes an excellent claybar. To be honest, most claybars come from the same company, it just depends on the aggressiveness level of the bar

also dont forget to use a detail spray as clay lube, or a good car soap, and water mixed in a bottle.

But you're going to need some compounds, and polishes, along with a buffer and proper pads to remove the swirls, and some knowledge in how to do so.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Don@Migliore
Former Sponsor

There are a bunch of great reviews on our high carnauba blend waxes right here on 37.

www.migliorewax.com
Old 10-08-2008, 10:35 PM
dannbla
LA G Club

Yeah I saw that 1-2-3 step system and was thinking of getting that too
but didn't
I was thinking of just getting the poorboys wax paste and trying that
is it only available online
yeah I hear on that pc

Originally Posted by Seer
Those buffers will not do anything as far as correcting, going to need to invest $100+ into a pc, at minimum.

Cleaner waxes, are also known as all in ones, they clean and protect the paint, and add a little bit of gloss, but do none very good.

Most pro's use 3 seperate products, such as a pre-wax cleaner, a show glaze, then a protective wax coating.

If you don't want to spend a whole lot of money, but want a decent shine, you can buy the 1-2-3 step system from meguiars at pep boys. It's nowhere near as good as the stuff you can buy off the internet at a site like detailedimage etc, but it does the job well for a novice.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Don@Migliore
Former Sponsor

I was thinking of just getting the poorboys wax paste and trying that
I actually had a customer that detailed his 37 compare Migliore and Nattys Blue, here is what he had to say:

These photos are shot with Migliore.

Originally Posted by SHSportsfan via GMFullsize.com

..I also have been doing some testing between Migliore and Natty's. A few key points on that are: Natty's applies a lot easier than Migliore. Removal is the same. Migliore creates more "depth" to the paint. Natty's produces a slicker surface at first, but given a day or two Migliore is just as slick. Both have very unique smells. Natty's seems to collect more dust than Migliore. Both are very minimal though and I have tested that by parking the vehicle in different places to 'even' it out. To break everything down, I like the overall out come of Migliore more. This could easily be a personal opinion, but, I feel that it's legit and have asked others opinions going by looks.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Seer

looks nice, would have to see how it looks in person