Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Easy car care

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:39 PM
mhfnet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy car care

I am not a car care fanatic so what is the easiest procedure and products to take care of my new G37 e.g. paint, wheels, leather?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The choices are endless. Take a read of the two threads below as they offer a wealth of information.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/car-care-and-detailing/147922-ask-a-professional-detailer-brought-to-you-by-detailed-image.html
https://www.myg37.com/forums/car-care-and-detailing/141057-detailing-and-caring-for-your-ride.html
Old 10-01-2007, 08:22 PM
mhfnet

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
The choices are endless. Take a read of the two threads below as they offer a wealth of information.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147922
https://www.myg37.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141057
I've seen those. I guess it's what you define is "easy".
Old 10-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Define easy. When a customer comes to me and says "I want a product that doesn't take up a lot of time", I consider that a lot different than "I want to spend less effort properly maintaining my vehicle".

Prep work and protection are two key factors that come to mind. First things first, it's much easier to prevent a problem than to correct a problem. You can easily protect your paint, wheels, vinyl, rubber, plastic, leather, carpets and upholstery.

For your paint, if you do not wish to detail as frequently, a sealant is your best option. Synthetic sealants last anywhere from 3 - 6 months compared to a natural carnauba wax that typically lasts 2 - 8 weeks. I'd recommend applying a sealant to your paint 3 to 4 times a year, which typically takes me under 40 minutes to apply and remove. By having a constant layer of protection on your vehicle, you should be able to remove contamination and road grime pretty easily.

For your wheels, Poorboy's Wheel Sealant is a must in my book. Maintaining your wheels will never be easier and brake dust will wash off easily with soap and water. Dedicate a wash mitt to your wheels and reapply the Wheel Sealant every 2 - 3 months for optimal results. Cleaning embedded brake dust can be a major PITA and will take up way more of your time than properly caring for them on a regular basis.

Your vinyl, rubber, plastic, leather can easily be protected from UV fading by applying a dressing such as 303 Aerospace Protectant. This product leaves behind a bold matte finish and will keep your interior and exterior trim looking as good as new.

For your carpet, mats and upholstery, help prevent stains by protecting them with 303 High Tech Fabric Guard. This is easy to apply and can be a life safe for spills and other problematic issues on fabrics.

Be sure to invest in quality washing and drying products because without them, you will quickly see your paint accumulate swirls and other imperfections that take away from the finish of your vehicle. Properly washing and drying can also prolong the need to polish your paint. Here's what I consider the essentials:
Lastly, if you properly prep your surface with a clay bar, it will completely remove surface contamination before applying your sealant. Aside from making your paint completely smooth and removing grime that takes away from your finish, it will help ensure that your sealant gets the absolute longest durability.

By properly protecting all of the major surfaces of your vehicle, you will make sure that the clean up process is as easy as possible.

If you have any questions on anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
Old 10-02-2007, 03:07 PM
mhfnet

Now that looks like something I could do. Thanks, George! Which sealant do you recommend?

Last edited by mhfnet; 10-02-2007 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

What is the color of your vehicle?

For darker colors, Poorboy's EX Sealant is a nice option because it has a touch of carnauba content in there that gives off a deeper, wetter looking finish.

On lighter colors or metallic colors, Poorboy's EX-P Pure Sealant is a great option.

Menzerna FMJ is one of my favorite sealants on both dark and light colored vehicles. It will last a month or so longer than the Poorboy's Sealants and the application and removal is easier than any other product I've used. One of the best benefits of Full Molecular Jacket is the surface slickness left behind after applying the product.

If you'd like any other suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

George
Old 10-02-2007, 11:39 PM
MaximaPower

just bought myself a ton of stuff from detailedimage...gonna spend the wkend cleaning up my OB G37...gonna wash, clay, polish, sealant and wax the car
Old 10-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by MaximaPower
just bought myself a ton of stuff from detailedimage...gonna spend the wkend cleaning up my OB G37...gonna wash, clay, polish, sealant and wax the car
MaximaPower, thank you for the support, it is greatly appreciated! If you have any questions about the process or anything else, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Keep us posted and take some pics of your hard work if you can.

Thanks again,

George