Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Old 09-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
It's ok to still apply and remove products above freezing temps. Some products can become more difficult to remove or may leave behind some streaking which may require another pass or two with a quick detailer or something to fully remove. Ideal temps would be 50 - 70 but you certainly can still detail in the 40s.
George
Thanks for the reply George! So if it is warm enough in the garage to do the ONR thing, then waxing would be fine? I can use some heaters to get the garage into the 50's, if strongly recommended.

Shane D
Old 09-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Shane D
Thanks for the reply George! So if it is warm enough in the garage to do the ONR thing, then waxing would be fine? I can use some heaters to get the garage into the 50's, if strongly recommended.

Shane D
No problem Shane. If you have access to the heaters, you might as well use them. It will only make you more comfortable during the process and the products will perform better (easier to apply and remove).

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with. I know how hard it can be to detail in the winter months!

George
Old 09-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Jamler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great to have you here George... I buy all my detail stuff through you guys.
You're Daily Specials e-mail always drags me to your site... Very clever man!!!

I'm thinking of opening an indoor Detail facility for us North Easterners.
We get all kinds of grime on our cars in the winter months, and car washes
just seem to scrape it off instead of carefully washing it. I could use a detail
product supplier... Ya game? PM me.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Jamler
Great to have you here George... I buy all my detail stuff through you guys.
You're Daily Specials e-mail always drags me to your site... Very clever man!!!

I'm thinking of opening an indoor Detail facility for us North Easterners.
We get all kinds of grime on our cars in the winter months, and car washes
just seem to scrape it off instead of carefully washing it. I could use a detail
product supplier... Ya game? PM me.
We can help you out. Fill out our wholesale application and we can get you going and help your new business venture.

If there's anything else I can help with, let me know.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Spaded21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A great size to start with is the 5.5" pads and the Meguiar's W67DA backing plate. The 5.5" pads are a great because they still cover more surface area than the 4" pads but also have more bite than the 6.5" pads. This is what I'd recommend any new PC users to start with. It also is helpful down the road to have a 4" backing plate and a couple spot 4" pads for tight areas or random scratches.
Thanks for the response, I will be making a big order very soon
Old 09-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by Spaded21
Thanks for the response, I will be making a big order very soon
Anytime, let me know if I can help you selecting any products.

Keep us posted how the detail turns out
Old 09-06-2010, 11:13 PM
TomieG

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey George,

Im looking for a spray glaze that will give me some added shine to use right before a show. Any product that you would recommend?
Old 09-06-2010, 11:20 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
George- I have a somewhat loaded question for you. When I detail my Nissan and Infiniti, I first wash them thoroughly and after rinsing, is when I clay them. The water on the surface naturally lubricates the paint and allows the clay to glide across. I've tried it with the spray detailers, but think my method is equally effective. Granted, our water here in Colorado is pretty clean and mineral-free, and I still dry the surface before applying any polishes or protectants. I don't want to get you in trouble with any of your suppliers, but would appreciate your candid thoughts on this practice.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:32 PM
TomieG

Originally Posted by TomieG
Hey George,

Im looking for a spray glaze that will give me some added shine to use right before a show. Any product that you would recommend?
Also would use of a spray glaze reduce the life of protection of wax currently on the car?
Old 09-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Hey George,

I don't offer any spray on "glazes" in the literal sense of the word glaze, but something like Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer can help boost your gloss and depth for a show. It also works on either a sealant or wax, whatever you are using for your last step of protection.

Originally Posted by dkmura
George- I have a somewhat loaded question for you. When I detail my Nissan and Infiniti, I first wash them thoroughly and after rinsing, is when I clay them. The water on the surface naturally lubricates the paint and allows the clay to glide across. I've tried it with the spray detailers, but think my method is equally effective. Granted, our water here in Colorado is pretty clean and mineral-free, and I still dry the surface before applying any polishes or protectants. I don't want to get you in trouble with any of your suppliers, but would appreciate your candid thoughts on this practice.
Chances are you're adding some marring if you are just using water as your lubrication. At a bare minimum, you want to mix in some shampoo with the water for added lubrication. You may not be able to see the marring without the proper lighting and if you are polishing after perhaps you are removing it before you notice it... Up to you if you want to continue on that way but at a bare minimum I'd mix in some shampoo. Optimum No Rinse diluted with water makes for a great clay bar lubricant as does many other shampoos.

Also would use of a spray glaze reduce the life of protection of wax currently on the car?
Depends on the product used... If you go with something like the QD I recommended, then no, it would actually help enhance it. If you use a product that has oil or clay fillers and then work it into the paint, you may jeopardize your protection, like I said all depends on the product in question.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:33 PM
TomieG

Depends on the product used... If you go with something like the QD I recommended, then no, it would actually help enhance it. If you use a product that has oil or clay fillers and then work it into the paint, you may jeopardize your protection, like I said all depends on the product in question.

Hope that helps.
I see thanks George! I ended up going to the local autoshop and picking up Meguiars Ultimate Quick Spray Wax. I plan on using this right before a show for that boosted shine! What's your opinion on this product? I hear that this is safe to use with previous applications on the car.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:36 AM
VQonI93

George, PM sent
Old 09-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

I see thanks George! I ended up going to the local autoshop and picking up Meguiars Ultimate Quick Spray Wax. I plan on using this right before a show for that boosted shine! What's your opinion on this product? I hear that this is safe to use with previous applications on the car.

I haven't used that particular product, but if it's like the Meg's Ultimate Quik Detailer, then it should be a winner. Keep us posted what you think of the produce once you get a chance to use it.

Originally Posted by VQonI93
George, PM sent
Thanks replied.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:48 AM
fyreboltx

This is just a brash but simple question... what kind of QD can I keep in my truck for bird poop clean up? My car sits out in the sun for hours at a time so the surface will be hot and worst case senario, the bird poop (if I get any on the paint) will bake for at least 2-3 hours before I can get to it. Does heat damage or ruin QD?

I normally just use some kind of Mothers QD (California Gold or Reflections) but not sure if those will work for bird poop.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:13 AM
jmark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
George,

I ordered a PC XP with 4" pad adapter and some 4" pads today. Hopefully I can use thsi for the tight areas and my Flex on the larger areas. Thanks DI!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image