Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 02:16 PM
SnoopDawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi George, Couple of questions.

What do you recommend as a conditioner for leather seats/interior? I use the Mequiars Quick Interior Detailer for small cleanup but now need something to keep the leather nice and soft.

Will this Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield (HGAS) - 16 oz | Detailed Image work on top of P21S Carnauba?
Old 01-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by dkmura
Hello George- I've got two questions. First, I've had great results using Blackfire products on my Nissan and Infiniti products, but I've also tried Menzerna's FMJ and that line.

1) Since I live in Colorado, we're right in the middle of a very cold winter. How cold is too cold to apply my sealant and polishes?

2) I'm noticing my polishing and sealant pads (PC random orbital) are starting to lose their colors after multiple washings. I use a microfiber soap to wash them, but wonder when I should replace them? What's a reasonable amount of use to consider?
Hey dkmura good questions. I'd try to avoid applying any product below freezing temps. Ideally, product should be stored and applied between 50 - 70 degrees, so if you had access to a heated garage, that's your best bet. Sometimes the product won't bond properly or may react different when applying them in conditions that may freeze since a lot of products are water based.

If it's just color wear and the pad is still intact with no nicks and just discoloration, you should be good to go. If pads are cared for properly they can last years. I try to use multiple pads during a detail session so that you aren't saturating a pad and it makes cleaning easier and extends the life of each pad. On average I'll use 3 - 5 color pads per coat of polish.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by SnoopDawg
Hi George, Couple of questions.

What do you recommend as a conditioner for leather seats/interior? I use the Mequiars Quick Interior Detailer for small cleanup but now need something to keep the leather nice and soft.

Will this Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield (HGAS) - 16 oz | Detailed Image work on top of P21S Carnauba?
Hey SnoopDawg,

I'd go with Leatheirque Prestine Clean for a great one step cleaner and conditioner. Unless you feel the seats are neglected, you can probably get away with just the Prestine Clean and not pair it with the Rejuvenator Oil. We have both of them on sale through the 12th at some great prices.

Ideally, you'd want to use the Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield over a sealant, not a wax. Will it work? Yes, but you may not get the maximum benefits out of the product, primarily in the durability compartment. For waxes, stick with a carnauba based product, such as Optimum Car Wax or a quick detailer that doesn't extend protection but enhances gloss like Optimum Instant Detailer.

Let me know if there's anything else I can give you a hand with.

George
Old 01-08-2010, 03:45 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
George i just bought these from you and wondering if i can apply these together and be fine. or do i need to use something else also?
Dodo Juice Need for Speed Cleaner Wax
Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket (FMJ)
Old 01-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by whiddles
George i just bought these from you and wondering if i can apply these together and be fine. or do i need to use something else also?
Dodo Juice Need for Speed Cleaner Wax
Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket (FMJ)
Ideally, you wouldn't use those two products together. Need For Speed (N4S) is a nice product that can brighten the paint and leaves behind a layer of carnauba wax protection. While this will look great, the durability won't be as long as Menzerna FMJ. Here's where the problem comes in, the FMJ won't properly bond over a wax, so you'd want to remove the protection left behind from the N4S or just choose one or the other.

If you used the N4S over the FMJ, the cleaning agents of the N4S would remove the protective properties of the FMJ.

If you were looking for an all in one product to use to clean the paint and use as your base coat, you want to look for an acrylic based product, like Klasse All in One.

Hope this helps.

George
Old 01-08-2010, 03:56 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

dodo juice for sale. lol i guess i will alternate them. my wife got them for me for xmas off of my wish list lol. ill mainly stick with the FMJ then i guess for now
Old 01-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

dodo juice for sale. lol i guess i will alternate them. my wife got them for me for xmas off of my wish list lol. ill mainly stick with the FMJ then i guess for now
They are both nice products, just aren't the best two used together. I actually use N4S on my glass because it'll polish and protect it in one step. You can use it on chrome trim and some other areas as well.

FMJ is definitely what you want for long protection though.

Have a good weekend,

George
Old 01-10-2010, 12:33 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
They are both nice products, just aren't the best two used together. I actually use N4S on my glass because it'll polish and protect it in one step. You can use it on chrome trim and some other areas as well.

FMJ is definitely what you want for long protection though.

Have a good weekend,

George
thanks for the ideas. i will do as you say and the FMJ for the car and N4S just for a glass cleaner. sounds good to me
Old 01-14-2010, 02:01 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
i got a ton of detailing supplies off your site including leatherique Rejuvinator Oil &
Prestine Clean. my car is only 4 months old and the leather is not dirty from what i can see. can i just use the prestine clean alone or does it work best with maybe a light coat of rejuvinator oil?
Old 01-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

thanks for the ideas. i will do as you say and the FMJ for the car and N4S just for a glass cleaner. sounds good to me
Anytime, let me know what you think of both products when you get a chance to use them.

Originally Posted by Presto
i got a ton of detailing supplies off your site including leatherique Rejuvinator Oil &
Prestine Clean. my car is only 4 months old and the leather is not dirty from what i can see. can i just use the prestine clean alone or does it work best with maybe a light coat of rejuvinator oil?
If your seats are in good condition and don't need a deep cleaning, the Prestine Clean alone should be all you need. Even on new leather, I'd recommend a deep conditioning within the first year, but you can hold off for the time being. Try to follow these Leatherique steps when you use them for maximum results.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

George
Old 01-17-2010, 02:53 PM
colburs

I'm going to buy some stuff for my new 6MT. Thanks for posting so much great information here!

Are there any products you suggest against shipping in temps below 32 degrees?
Old 01-18-2010, 02:33 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by colburs
I'm going to buy some stuff for my new 6MT. Thanks for posting so much great information here!

Are there any products you suggest against shipping in temps below 32 degrees?
Thanks for the support. Some products may begin to freeze a little if the box were to sit outside if you weren't around to receive the package. If this happens, I'd take everything inside, let them thaw and give them a vigorous shake. Ideally, you'll want to avoid letting the products get below 32 degrees though. You want to try to keep the products between 50 - 70 degrees.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:09 PM
upperdecker

I have been doing my best to wash during a cold snap that has seen some snow (and of course the accompanying salt). I washed once and then also used the Optimum No Rinse when it was too cold to wash. Unfortunately, I was forced to allow the salt and crud to sit on the paint for a couple of weeks. Prior to that, I had applied about four coats of FMJ.

Now, I want to add some more mid-winter protection. I just gave it a really thorough wash. Is it okay to add a new coat of FMJ, or is it too contaminated to be effective? Should I instead consider adding a coat of Poorboy's Blue Paste wax and wait on the sealant until I can do an end-of-winter claying?

Any advice appreciated.

Tom
Old 01-20-2010, 10:12 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by upperdecker
I have been doing my best to wash during a cold snap that has seen some snow (and of course the accompanying salt). I washed once and then also used the Optimum No Rinse when it was too cold to wash. Unfortunately, I was forced to allow the salt and crud to sit on the paint for a couple of weeks. Prior to that, I had applied about four coats of FMJ.

Now, I want to add some more mid-winter protection. I just gave it a really thorough wash. Is it okay to add a new coat of FMJ, or is it too contaminated to be effective? Should I instead consider adding a coat of Poorboy's Blue Paste wax and wait on the sealant until I can do an end-of-winter claying?

Any advice appreciated.

Tom
Hey Tom,

Good questions. If you were to add some protection to your paint and didn't want to strip off what you already have on there and start fresh, I'd recommend going the wax route like you said with the Natty's Blue. Here's what you have to keep in mind though, the wax will last anywhere between 4 - 8 weeks so you'll want to reapply another coat roughly every month to maintain maximum effectiveness.

Come spring time when you strip everything off and clay the paint, then reapply the FMJ and build your sealant base back up. Based on what you said, that's the direction I'd go for your situation.

Hope this helps, let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

George
Old 01-21-2010, 01:15 AM
alexdee

Hey George,

would you recommend the m105 followed by m205 or Merzerna SIP then final polish for a OB g37?

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2010, 01:48 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by alexdee
Hey George,

would you recommend the m105 followed by m205 or Merzerna SIP then final polish for a OB g37?

Thanks!
Depends on how deep the imperfections are. The Meguiar's combo would remove more imperfections than the Menzerna combo, but using something like Menzerna Power Finish followed by PO85RD could yield more gloss and depth. Depends on the condition of the paint IMO. Can't go wrong with either combo, both will yield some nice results.

George

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image