Canada Serving Canada.

Moving to Canada from US!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 03:22 AM
CarAddict
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I hope they use the trade-in-value! 33-36K depending on the condition! I wonder how they determine that!
Old 07-19-2009, 03:28 AM
heff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ya its all bs its always different ! usually less than ya think....
Old 07-19-2009, 03:47 AM
CarAddict
Registered Member

I really hope so man! 19.1% tax/duty is ridiculous!

Originally Posted by heff
ya its all bs its always different ! usually less than ya think....
Old 07-19-2009, 11:30 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a thought. Since you're moving from the US to Canada, and not importing a car into Canada as a Canadian resident, I would assume the car is part of personal property being moved with you. While you'll need to pay the typical registration fees, I thought as long as you show that the car was owned and taxes were paid in the US as personal property you wouldn't have to pay import or duties on it. I've lived on both sides of the border and deal with people moving into the US, and while I'm no expert it's something worth asking.

BTW, I've heard the Ogdensburg NY border crossing is a good one for bring cars across - people that have imported cars through there say they're happy with the process. Just note that they only process this during normal business hours. It's not that far from TO so it's worth considering.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:13 PM
CarAddict
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
Just a thought. Since you're moving from the US to Canada, and not importing a car into Canada as a Canadian resident, I would assume the car is part of personal property being moved with you. While you'll need to pay the typical registration fees, I thought as long as you show that the car was owned and taxes were paid in the US as personal property you wouldn't have to pay import or duties on it. I've lived on both sides of the border and deal with people moving into the US, and while I'm no expert it's something worth asking.

BTW, I've heard the Ogdensburg NY border crossing is a good one for bring cars across - people that have imported cars through there say they're happy with the process. Just note that they only process this during normal business hours. It's not that far from TO so it's worth considering.
You are correct, the car counts as my personal property. And therefore only the first $10000 of the value of the car is tax/duty exempt. Sorry I forgot to mention this in my previous posts!

There is no escape from these taxes it seems!
Old 07-19-2009, 05:16 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haven't you heard? Two things are sure in life: death and taxes.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:41 PM
CarAddict
Registered Member

Here is an update:

I finally imported the car into Canada and waiting for the RIV form to arrive!

Now I need to have the DRLs set up. Has anyone had this done by someone in Toronto?

I did look at the DIY posted online by other people but would be more comfortable having someone who has done this several times work on it.