Canada Serving Canada.

My car gets WAY loose with high crosswinds

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Vyper316

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation My car gets WAY loose with high crosswinds

Hey y'all!

I don't know if this has been discussed in the past, but I wanted to know if I was the only one this happened to. Here goes! I have an 09 G37x Coupe, and a few weeks back I was driving in a snow/wind storm on the highway at about 110Km/h (All of my past years of winter driving experience told me that the road conditions where very adequate for that speed... or so I thought!). The car started getting WAY loose all of a sudden! I actually thought I either had a flat tire or that one of my wheels was literally coming off! I slowed down to check it out, and there was nothing wrong with the tires or the wheels. I got back on the road and noticed that it was the high crosswinds that where pushing me around with every gust! There where a couple of instances where I think if I hadn't made big steering corrections, the wind alone might have pushed me in the ditch! Now I've been driving for twelve years and I've seen my share of storms with high winds, but this was the first time I felt I didn't have complete control of my car. Now I know you'll say "come on man... maybe the conditions where exceptionally bad THAT night and it would have done this no matter what car you where driving at the time"... BUT NO! It did it again (although not as intensely) a few times after! This car seems to have been optimized for a high headwind (of course), but when the wind hits it hard from the side it seems to be easily pushed around. Maybe the aerodynamics are "off" for those types of circumstances (although I doubt it). What I though might be the likeliest reason for this behavior is that the fact that the car has a higher stance (a couple of inches I think) makes it easier for the wind to get under it and possibly lift it up juuuuust enough so that the wind hitting the side of the car at that time can push it around a bit more than usual... and on a slightly snow or ice-covered road... it's just bad news at high speeds. Now I kinda know when to expect this behavior from the car so it doesn't bother me as much anymore, but take my advice, if you've recently gotten a car like mine and have to drive it in really windy winter conditions... slow down! Even if the road is clear and dry! It helps a lot.

Sorry for the extra long post, but I'd like to hear some thoughts on this. Am I the only one this has happened to? Anyone have a different theory on why this happens? Do you think the addition of a spoiler would make a noticable difference?

Anyway, if this is "normal" for the G37x Coupe, people should know about this possible road behavior and know to be weary of it on REALLY windy days. Thanks for your patience everyone. I'm still madly in love with my car by the way .
Old 01-11-2009, 01:46 PM
SOLISIMO

Surgeon General says that snow is slippery
Old 01-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Vyper316

Oh! and just so you know, I have brand new TOYO Garit KX 18" tires on my car, so that's not the problem here.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Vyper316

Originally Posted by SOLISIMO
Surgeon General says that snow is slippery
I know of course that's the most obvious response to my post, but I've driven in similar conditions hundreds of times before with diffrent cars at the same speeds and this "looseness" just never happened to this extent before. I just want to know if this particular model is prone to this behavior or am I the only one?
Old 01-11-2009, 01:53 PM
SOLISIMO

Just bc you have an X does not mean that you have one of these

Old 01-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Vyper316

LMAO!!! Hahaha! "Touché" my friend! You got me there!
Old 01-11-2009, 02:27 PM
SOLISIMO

Originally Posted by Vyper316
LMAO!!! Hahaha! "Touché" my friend! You got me there!

Old 01-11-2009, 02:30 PM
w0ady

all i see is a red X but snow storms arent really the time to be driving no matter what car you have.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:32 PM
canadoc

Overall How do you find your TOYOs? you using aftermarket winter wheels or the oem wheels?
I wanted the TOyos but they were sold out everywhere so went with the BLizzak LM25
You planning on getting different summer wheels?
You have the nav package? colour?
Old 01-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Vyper316

Originally Posted by canadoc
Overall How do you find your TOYOs? you using aftermarket winter wheels or the oem wheels?
I wanted the TOyos but they were sold out everywhere so went with the BLizzak LM25
You planning on getting different summer wheels?
You have the nav package? colour?
Very satisfied with the TOYOs. They work great in ridiculously deep snow (a lot of fun there!) and on ice (at lower speeds of course), they definitely grip better than the old KUMHOs I had on my previous car. They're not that great sideways though lol!... funny (but almost tragic) story, I was in a traffic jam trying to get on the Champlain bridge (what a surprise) to Brossard last wednesday during the big snowfall, and there was this onramp with a pretty steep inward incline... usually wouldn't be a problem except there was black ice underneath a thin coat of snow on the road... Anyway, me and the BMW M5 in front of me kept sliding towards the inside lane even while at a complete stop!! Every time we let go of the brakes to go forward, the back end just kept sliding out from under us. After almost bumping into the cars next to us a couple of times, they very wisely let us move down in front of them (thank god!). I felt kinda powerless there sliding sideways at about 0.5Kph with my foot firmly on the brakes. Beware of fresh snow covering black ice... it kills puppies man! It's brutal! Oh, and no I don't have the NAV pack.