Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Buying a Supercharged G37

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 03:13 PM
MirinG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a Supercharged G37

Hi Guys, First post. I'm looking at a G37 at a local dealership: 2009, 28,xxx miles, NAV, fully loaded...but the thing is that I see in the pics that it has a Stillen S/C kit. They are asking $33k

Couple questions:
-Anything I should look for when buying a pre-owned g37 with a s/c?

-Whats a good price for this car. I know aftermarket parts don't add "value" to a used car.

-Does anyone know who was the original owner and what other mods is/has been on it. (San Antonio Area)

-I read that the Stillen kit is notorious for having a bad tune so I may need a custom one however I'm reluctant to use any shop around but I heard UpRev is stationed in Austin, TX? (1 hr away from me), They can tune in shop correct?

Thanks Beforehand
Old 07-26-2011, 03:35 PM
MirinG37

BTW, its Black 6mt
Old 07-28-2011, 09:44 AM
MirinG37

any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:52 AM
The Jewbag

I would be careful buying a used FI car....actually I would have a hard time buying used car in general. I subscribe to the belief that people just drive the **** out of their cars or just don't know what they're doing and will f@ck something up.

The price seems pretty decent...whether you want to admit it or not many enthusiasts want an FI car and AFAIK the '08 G37s's go for around $28-29k.

You could go to Stillen with the VIN and maybe they can give you some contact info for the original owner.

There kit doesn't seem safe honestly...I've never read much into it because I don't care much but I'm pretty sure you're right and it's the tune.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:27 AM
amf25

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Jewbag

There kit doesn't seem safe honestly...
+1

search and read on the stillen SC's and decide for yourself. that should be enough full disclosure...

aftermarket parts in reality don't add anything to the value, thats why everyone strips theirs cars before selling. you should be able to get it for nada or kbb value. same goes for street bikes.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What's wrong with the stillen kit?
Old 07-28-2011, 11:36 AM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
take it and run
Old 07-28-2011, 02:54 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I would be careful, See what they are going to offer for a warrenty? With the SC still on it makes me nervous.Why did he drop it and run. He would have made more $$ taking it off and selling the stuff unless something was worng with it.. Like said above the SC doesnt add any retail value to the car. Hurts more than helps it. You know the dealer paid him less for it cause the SC was there.. You could always try to find the previous owner and ask him why he got rid of it.. I had a guy once looking at a car I traded in and told him to run from it, LOL

Last edited by ANMVQ; 07-28-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:10 PM
_ant_

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^ i agree
Old 07-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Chi-City-G
Premier Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Weiboy718
What's wrong with the stillen kit?
Haha don't mess with him man, he is about to make a big purchase as well as be into a G so we should try our best to steer him in the right direction.

OP, Weiboy had a bad experience with this kit and others have as well. Wei has explained his experience in the fullest in my opinion so please search some of his threads about it BUT also know that there are others on this forum with the kit and a custom tune that have had great results and love this kit. Getting a used supercharged car though would have me concerned as well and I would encourage you to become as well educated on the matter (Stillen S/C kit) as possible by searching this forum and the 370 forums even to understand it fully and then decide if it is something you would even want to do on this car if you had bought it new and had the option.

Others posted correctly as well that you can get into this car for less and make your own build from there... I would say think about it that way as well as try to get as much information on this car as you can to see if anything comes up.

Good luck and I hope to see you happy and a part of this community soon.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:03 AM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
I would definitely get it checked out by an outside mechanic who is familiar with those types of modifications. Ask yourself, why someone dumped that kind of money into their car and got rid of it so quickly
Old 07-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Neal376

Originally Posted by The Jewbag
I would be careful buying a used FI car....actually I would have a hard time buying used car in general. I subscribe to the belief that people just drive the **** out of their cars or just don't know what they're doing and will f@ck something up.

i subscribe to the belief that buying new cars is a big waste of money. but thats just me

i'm with da mayor. take it and run
Old 07-29-2011, 12:01 PM
The Jewbag

Originally Posted by Neal376
i subscribe to the belief that buying new cars is a big waste of money. but thats just me

i'm with da mayor. take it and run

Most accountants (i.e. me) will agree with you....that's why I lease
Old 07-29-2011, 12:05 PM
indyn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kaoticdemize
I would definitely get it checked out by an outside mechanic who is familiar with those types of modifications. Ask yourself, why someone dumped that kind of money into their car and got rid of it so quickly

+1 agree with this. Nothing wrong in buying an used car as long as you take you time and have it checked out by a garage that deals with installing turbos or superchargers. You might've to spend some money in getting this done but it'll be worth it in the long run.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:17 PM
MirinG37

Thanks for the input guys. The car was sold on ebay pending payment but we'll see if it falls through like many other auctions.

Quick Reply: Buying a Supercharged G37