Build Threads

RotorNut's G37, errr... Q40 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 01:58 PM
RotorNutFD3S
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
RotorNut's G37, errr... Q40 Build Thread

So two years ago, I bought an '09 G37 Journey Sedan to become my daily driver and baby hauler, here it is the day I bought it:

The first mod I did was installing one of the customized GT-R start buttons from Gabe:

While randomly browsing Craigslist I found a Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust system, it needed some love which had apparently deterred some potential buyers, but the price was right. After getting it home I spent a little time cleaning it up, here's before:

Here's the top section after some polishing work, while the bottom was after just a wash with soap and water:

And then the entire kit cleaned up and polished:

The installation was very easy compared to other cars I've worked on, bolt-on exhaust hanger bushings are nice. Total time from the time I pulled my tools out to the time I put them away was less than 90 minutes (including clearancing the subframe bolts from rubbing on the exhaust hangar arms). Which meant I was able to sneak the job in after cutting the grass. And I really like the way it sounds!

I found a set of the 18" wheels off of a '16 Q60 and swapped those on, but after that, I didn't do anything else to the car except daily drive it, which was the whole idea...

Last edited by RotorNutFD3S; 08-10-2023 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:17 PM
RotorNutFD3S
Registered Member

But after two years I decided I wanted to upgrade a little, I wasn't in a rush to do it so I started casually looking around. There was nothing wrong with the '09 but I never really loved it even though it was a great daily driver, and I wanted a few extra extra creature comforts. A family friend owns a Nissan dealership and he had a very nice MW 2015 Q40 on his lot, so we got to talking and I ended up taking it home with me.

Before selling the '09 I swapped the Q60 wheels over to the Q40 (along with the exhaust, LED interior lighting, start button, etc.):

I had debadged the G37's trunk except for the Mt. Fuji logo, on the white I actually liked the lettering so I only removed the Q40 badging, besides, it's still technically a G37 :

I had already swapped the Top Speed exhaust over to this car, so I finally decided to get into the intake system like I never had with the '09. After some reading on here I added a pair of drop-in aFe dry flow air filters & Mishimoto post-MAF silicone tubes.

Before:

After:

I also removed the hood liner to clean up the appearance and get some more underhood noises, which worked very well:

Then I ordered an UltraRacing solid shock tower brace via eBay. No mind blowing difference but it's noticeable and hard bumps don't seem to make the front end shudder as badly either. Pretty much what I expected based on previous cars with solid STBs.

Then I found a deal on some OE paddle shifters, grabbed the shroud from eBay, and installed. I enjoy driving with these a lot!

Old 06-19-2018, 02:21 PM
RotorNutFD3S
Registered Member

Then I got started on the exterior. I didn't want to do anything major, so I added an OE front lip and rear spoiler. I had looked at other options, but I liked the factory fit, appearance, and pre-painted aspects.

Before and after shots:

Old 06-19-2018, 02:47 PM
RotorNutFD3S
Registered Member

The engine cover. These never seem to stay clean, they get stained easily, and the Infiniti badge may suddenly disappear. In fact I had placed the badge in its spot for a couple of the previous shots because most of the mounting tabs had broken. So it was something I wanted to change even though I don't think this will end up as a car I pop the hood on a lot. lol

I had toyed with the ideas of a carbon fiber replacement, refinishing/painting the current one, or just taking it off completely, but nothing was really jumping out at me as the solution. After scouring this forum for pictures I liked the way the carbon fiber cover looked best so I ordered the AIT cover off eBay.

And that's where we sit as of today. The windows are getting tinted on Saturday, I'm going to pull the 3.7 badges off the fenders, and I have the OE splash guards that I need to install.

The extended to-do list includes:
Eibach Sway Bars
Lowering Springs (Swift or Eibach)
OE Front Crossmember Bracing
Sport Brake Swap
Rear Lip or TBW Diffuser
DIY Grounding Kit
Old 06-19-2018, 04:32 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
I like the upgrade story. That exhaust was a real find, elbow grease really paid off...I didn't know TBW made a rear diffuser, but I definitely recommend his front under tray
Old 06-19-2018, 05:02 PM
RotorNutFD3S
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hashim
I like the upgrade story. That exhaust was a real find, elbow grease really paid off...I didn't know TBW made a rear diffuser, but I definitely recommend his front under tray
Thanks! It definitely did pay off, I have to hit it with a little polish every few months to keep the tarnish from returning, but nothing major.

I've seen their undertray and it's on my maybe list since the OE tray is in perfect shape. Between my previous G37 and my wife's FX35, I'm used to dropping the trays to change the oil, and my electric impact makes quick work of it. But yes, they do make a diffuser and I like that it's not too extreme. I'm probably going to paint that lower portion of the rear bumper black (or plasti-dip it, not sure yet) too, so I think that will help keep it from sticking out too much.

Photos from TBW:

The following users liked this post:
Baadnewsburr (06-19-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 02:38 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Nice job on the write up! Pretty cool you were able to find a clean Q40 and transfer your mods over and like Hashim mentioned, time well spent cleaning up that TopSpeed set.

That Strut bar is a nice looking part, seems to be well built and looks proper under there, I think that should do the job better than a multi-piece unit.

Look forward to what else is in store, like that motor cover too!
The following users liked this post:
RotorNutFD3S (06-20-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 06:17 PM
RotorNutFD3S
Registered Member

^^Thanks!!^^

I got the windows tinted today, what a difference that makes! I also removed the 3.7 fender badges.

Got home and threw on the OE splash guards today as well:

My ring terminals arrive tomorrow and I have my wiring already, so tomorrow I should be making and installing my DIY grounding kit.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:03 AM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
I have Eibach springs that I’m selling cheap, lmk if interested. Thanks
Old 06-27-2018, 11:05 AM
RotorNutFD3S
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
I have Eibach springs that I’m selling cheap, lmk if interested. Thanks
Thanks! But I have a few other things that I want to tackle before buying anything for lowering.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:14 PM
jaydee23
Premier Member

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
Nice mods
I have a Q40 also and Im stuck on whether i want to install the front spoiler lip
Any regrets installing it?
I really like the look of it, particularly from the front, however
I also really like the tight clean look of stock
Front lip isnt as seamless as i would like it to be
decisions decisions
Nice car!!
Here is my G37 errr Q40

Old 11-08-2018, 11:42 AM
RotorNutFD3S
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jaydee23
Nice mods
I have a Q40 also and Im stuck on whether i want to install the front spoiler lip
Any regrets installing it?
I really like the look of it, particularly from the front, however
I also really like the tight clean look of stock
Front lip isnt as seamless as i would like it to be
decisions decisions
Nice car!!
Here is my G37 errr Q40
Thanks!!
Not a single regret in installing the front lip. It goes on easily, just have to use the templates they provide and take your time, but you can't beat the perfect fit & finish right out of the box.
I'm used to a front lip typically going under the bumper and extending out, so I thought the seam/overlap from this lip on top of the bumper was going to bother me but honestly I don't pay attention to it anymore. I think the pictures make the line more noticeable than it really is. On your silver it might even be less noticeable.
Nice GQ3740! Good luck!