Build Threads

2015 Q40 Liq Platinum, Work Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 07:35 PM
jaydee23
Premier Member

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 Q40 Liq Platinum, Work Thread

While I dont aspire to an in depth build I would like to share my progress of modifying my Q40. Not exactly sure where this will go but it will be nice to have a record of it. So here it goes!
I knew nothing of Infiniti. I was a previous Audi owner. I was simply done fixing the Audi so i started a search for my next car. After seeing some used G37's in my price range I went and took a few for a test drive. After driving them, the other cars on my list, accord, camry, etc....where no longer on the list. I searched obsessively for a G37. Came down to 2 choices. A very nicely modded 2013 White G37XS w/ 50k on the odo, or a 2015 Q40 with only 15k on the odo. I like modding and I like having the peace of mind that I do thing right so I went with the Q40. She was sitting for a few months. An elderly woman owned her and she passed and the car sat until the family was comfortable getting rid of the car.
She is like new save for a few scrapes on the bottom of the front bumper and some rash on the right wheels. Other than that, she is mint.
I picked up the car in August and have done a few things up to this point.
Here Stock..

Last edited by jaydee23; 10-27-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:46 PM
jaydee23
Premier Member

My very first mod is scrapping the chrome rear spoiler and installing the rear deck lid spoiler, part number K6030-1NF6A.
Got it from seller
carpartscorner on ebay for $200.
Came with everything i assume a direct infiniti purchase comes with including directions and templates.
I will say the directions from Infiniti are quite thorough. I was impressed with them.
I went slow and triple measured before drilling etc. Im a bit neurotic and mildly OCD.

Last edited by jaydee23; 11-02-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:34 PM
jaydee23
Premier Member

Now the trunk pop button would not sit centered. I had to add a single washer to each mounting ear to get it perfectly centered.
washers. Probably approx 1/16" thick.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:35 PM
jaydee23
Premier Member

Here it is installed

Old 11-02-2018, 09:50 PM
jaydee23
Premier Member

The only gripe I have is there is a slight gap along the interface of the spoiler and the top of the trunk.
It was unacceptably noticeable, but i was able to get another ring of the push rivet to catch by pressing down rather hard.
They look like this and are on the near ends on both sides.

I dont think I could have installed this any more carefully but there remains a slight gap. Even when pushed down with my finger there is a small gap so I dont think it is possible to get a super tight fit. The double stick tape under the spoiler is the cause of this.
I thought it would bother but honestly I dont even notice it. the pictures below represent the best (or worst) angle I could find to show the gap.
The shadowing makes it look worse than it really is.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:59 PM
jaydee23
Premier Member

Can I resize these pics? Boy they are big.....
Next this lady needs to pull her skirt down a bit.
Riding high!

Last edited by jaydee23; 11-02-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:30 PM
jaydee23
Premier Member

I purchased a set of swift springs through..hmmm..cant remember. But 2 weeks later I called they still had not shipped. I cancelled my order and called swift.
Those folks were awesome. They shipped direct to me from the factory.
Install was relatively easy. My 2 comments would be, be sure to unbolt the front stabilizer (duh) and note the orientation of the top studs in relation to the bottom pinch bolt seam and be sure it is as close as possible to the same with the new springs. You have very little axial wiggle once the new spring is tight. If it is off it will either be a struggle to get in or you will need to loosen the spring and readjust it. I didn't have an issue but I saw how it could be one.

Springs in
Dont pay attention to the rotors. That hasn't happened yet
Old 11-02-2018, 10:45 PM
jaydee23
Premier Member

I was very concerned about rear sag. I really really dislike rear sag. I am very happy with the result of the swift springs.
With stock wheels the ride quality reduction was minimal. I was really expecting it to be noticeable. It really was not.
If stock ride quality was a baseline 10, I would say lowering on swifts brought it to a 9. Very happy with the decision to do springs only.
My previous car, Audi A4, had coilovers and due to my OCD tendencies, I adjusted them far too often. I actually like not having the ability to adjust, only because the height is perfect to me. Not a huge fan of heavy drops.
I have had no issues with scraping or rubbing which is a nice change. It is still pretty low in the front but high enough to clear everything my Audi use to scrape.

I lightened these photos to see the wheel gap more clearly. I didnt take many photos of just the springs with stock wheels.

​​​​​​​
Old 11-02-2018, 10:59 PM
jaydee23
Premier Member

Wheels!
Needed Rims and tires and searched obsessively and kept coming back to the common old sport 19s
I really prefer a stock quality finish and style and didnt want to go too aggressive with the rim style.
After all I am a professional business man right? Riiight...
I finally just went with the stockers refinished in a silver, slightly gun metal paint.
I already have the bug to go a bit more aggressive but Ill stick with these for a while.

Tires were also an obsessive search. Im planning on running this setup all year long. I aspired to have winter and summer rims on my Audi. That lasted 1 season. So, lets just be realistic and run these bad boys all year.
I looked for the best compromise of ride noise and all season. Settled on the Pirelli CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON

Bye Bye

these are four front rims 8.5" wide

Old 11-02-2018, 11:10 PM
jaydee23
Premier Member

With Rims Tires, a fresh alignment (no issues with the alignment BTW)

The following users liked this post:
ngolbuff (04-12-2021)
Old 11-02-2018, 11:18 PM
jaydee23
Premier Member

Ride quality.
The ride quality change as a result of moving from stock 17" to 19" was much more significant than the impact of the swift springs.
Again, if stock was a baseline 10, springs brought it to a 9. The wheel change further reduced it to a 7. Its not terrible by any means but definitely noticeable.
Moderate roads with small bumps are fine, but the need to avoid larger road bumps, holes etc..is something that must be exercised..
I am used to driving with this way so it is not a big deal for me. Is it worth the looks? For sure!
Old 11-02-2018, 11:30 PM
jaydee23
Premier Member

Last post tonight will be brakes. I purchased refurbed sport calipers powder coated red. Wasn't keen on the red but didn't really have the time needed to re-paint before the cold hits the north east.
Only regret I have is not getting the black coated rotors. I got zinc? coated. They are OK, just a bit too much silver going on in the wheel area as a whole. Next season Ill do something about that.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:39 PM
jaydee23
Premier Member

Im currently stuck on the fence of whether i want to install the front lip. There is just something I do like and I dont like about it. It is just not as seamless a look as i wish it was. I like it, but i dont love it.
Should I or shouldnt I?

WITHOUT LIP

WITH LIP

WITHOUT LIP

WITH LIP
jpowersjr2 (11-03-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 12:48 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Looks good.
How was the braking with the akebono's on? Any noticeable difference?
Old 11-03-2018, 01:41 PM
jaydee23
Premier Member

Hard to tell
I had one situation where I needed to brake hard and it easily responded well
They do bite a bit harder when cold and in the rain oddly enough
guy from norcal (11-03-2018)

Quick Reply: 2015 Q40 Liq Platinum, Work Thread