Build Threads

Build Thread Number 2, Red Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 09:36 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Build Thread Number 2, Red Sport

So I had gone back and forth about creating a Q50 Red Sport build thread on a forum for G37's and the occasional G35, but after talking to Brad (blnewt) and a subtle push from him and a couple of others I figured why not?

So on to the build thread, but some background...

About 2 years ago I made probably the hardest financial/vehicle decision I have ever had to make. I wanted to move out of my apartment and into a house. I had found the perfect house and had to have it. I tend to over analyze and stress about the small things sometime, in this case I was worried about putting myself in a bind financially. So I made the decision to part out my G37S (build thread here) and sell it and keep my daily, at the time it was a 2008 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor which was paid off, and sell the vehicle that was still financed just to be safe.

Well I had overreacted and didn't have to sell it and with my discount from work I purchased a new 2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport. I had big plans for it after I bought it, but soon came to realize how much more expensive it was to modify than the G was, and soon became kind of bored with it. I had installed an axle back hoping that it would reignite my interest in modding it and it never felt right trying to mod it.

So on December 30th, 2016 I walked into the local Infiniti dealership to check out the new location and to stop in and see the service manager who remembered me from my G. He asked me what I had moved on to after the G and I told him, to which he suggested I try out the Q50/60 Red Sport. At the time they only had a Q60RS on the lot so I decided to take it out for a spin and absolutely fell in love with it, but knew I had to have the Q50 over the Q60 due to back seat room. So we came back to the dealership and sat down and went back and forth for about 3-4 hours trying to work out a deal on a new 2016 Q50RS400 and we came to an agreement. They had to dealer trade with another dealership to get the color combo and packages I wanted. The next day at 6am they sent a driver up to the dealership that had the Q50RS I wanted and brought it back and I picked up later that day and haven't looked back since.

Initial impressions are that this thing is amazing, I love the engine and the exhaust note. The styling for the front of the car is extremely aggressive and I love it, the back leaves something to be desired and isn't really very aggressive, hopefully by adding a diffuser later on will help along with a black out look. The interior quality isn't on the same level as the Lexus, but the seats are more comfortable and the ride is more towards my taste than the Lexus. The adaptive dampening is much better on the Q50RS than the Lexus too.

Future mods:
Stillen splitter
Stillen rockers
Stillen diffuser
GTHaus
Either KW or RSR coilovers, or springs, I don't want to loose the adaptive dampening function by going with coilovers
Sways (TBD)
Endlinks (TBD)
Intake (TBD)
Intake Manifold (TBD)
Wheels (TBD)
FI downpipe?
Tune (TBD)

Parts might change as more vendors come out with new parts for the VR engines.

The day I picked up the Q50RS with the Lexus in the background...
Name:  626DCCA8-1D9F-40EC-8992-89BDF8A94CD8.jpg
Views: 1492
Size:  144.0 KB

Name:  7503BD07-AC06-4E49-BA57-38EE56D78CD8.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  172.8 KB

Name:  D6168488-91F5-4F26-9D52-E509C074AAD7.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  106.3 KB
Old 01-10-2017, 08:39 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Looking forward to your fresh start Kirk, if this is anything like your G build this is going to get good! Glad you put this up
Old 01-10-2017, 09:25 AM
steven92

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
nice buy man!!! Infiniti has been > Lexus since day 1
Old 01-10-2017, 01:05 PM
C1Forged
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Nice pick up! Cant wait to see the progress with the build
Old 01-10-2017, 06:47 PM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
Nice man, cant wait. Here is some temptation for you.

STILLEN Q50 3.0t Cat-Back Exhaust Release!!! - Infiniti Q50 Forum

STILLEN Q50 & Q60 3.0t Intake System Release!!! - Infiniti Q50 Forum

https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...r-p-10390.html
Old 01-10-2017, 07:29 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I saw those earlier, I'm friends with Mark from Stillen on Facebook and saw his posts regarding their new products. I was very tempted to go with the Stillen cat back if they also sold down pipes, but because the down pipes aren't carb compliant they don't manufacture them, so I think I'm just going to stick with GTHaus for now, at least until other options come up.

As far as intakes, I'm interested in their gen 3, I think it is, that is a true cold air intake, but I don't think they've come out with one fore the VR30 just yet. The new ones, as far as I know, are the gen 2 short rams.

Good lookin out though! I appreciate it!
Old 01-11-2017, 02:13 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
It's a very similar car, you have a long history with G's, and it's a good read... have at it.

Welcome back to the G forum.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:15 AM
takeapieandrun
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
That looks great. Glad you're back on the G/Q side.. haha!
Old 01-12-2017, 12:40 PM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
Congrats and welcome back, looking forward to seeing what you do with your car.

I'm also in that bind. I sold my G37s and have missed every day without it. It was a great car. I now drive a 2016 Toyota Tacoma and have come to the realization that I'm not really a truck person. There are so many great cars to choose from but I've decided that I really want a Q50s. I haven't driven the Red Sport yet but it might be one of my options. I've thought about several BMW's and Merc's even the Lexus is350 F sport, but just don't feel the same way about them. I'm looking to go this weekend to scout a few dealerships to see what deals they can make.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:30 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Originally Posted by monytx
Congrats and welcome back, looking forward to seeing what you do with your car.

I'm also in that bind. I sold my G37s and have missed every day without it. It was a great car. I now drive a 2016 Toyota Tacoma and have come to the realization that I'm not really a truck person. There are so many great cars to choose from but I've decided that I really want a Q50s. I haven't driven the Red Sport yet but it might be one of my options. I've thought about several BMW's and Merc's even the Lexus is350 F sport, but just don't feel the same way about them. I'm looking to go this weekend to scout a few dealerships to see what deals they can make.
Our situation may be more alike than you think. I was pretty close to trading my Lexus in on a Ram 2500 Cummins because I wanted to have something that had 4wd and that I wouldn't have to worry about in the snow. Plus whenever I go to a friends house to go shooting we usually take trucks off road to the back of their property and I'm always stuck hitching a ride, that and I'm always having to ask a friend to help me move stuff. But I came to realization that while I'd really like to have a Larime or a Big Horn 2500 Cummins, I don't think I'd be as happy with it in the long run.

The IS350 is nice, but very small inside, and if you get awd the transmission tunnel hump where your right leg would rest bulges out into you leg and isn't very comfortable, imo.

I love my Q50RS, I'd highly recommend test driving one. My only regret is not getting the Iridium blue exterior instead of the black, but hind sight is 20/20 I guess...
Old 01-12-2017, 04:35 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by '11G37S
My only regret is not getting the Iridium blue exterior instead of the black, but hind sight is 20/20 I guess...
Oh wow... Yeah, that is stunning.

Name:  20160519_093625_zpsxu5cs9oj.jpg
Views: 2579
Size:  287.2 KB
The following users liked this post:
KellingFrenzy (10-01-2019)
Old 01-12-2017, 10:39 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Originally Posted by Rochester

Yeah, that's the one... the GM of the local dealership has a Q60RS in iridium blue that I didn't see till I was taking delivery of mine. Instant regret. But black would be my second choice.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:52 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Yeah, that's the one... the GM of the local dealership has a Q60RS in iridium blue that I didn't see till I was taking delivery of mine. Instant regret. But black would be my second choice.
The car is always more important than the color. Love mine, but MW was my second choice as well.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:02 PM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
Our situation may be more alike than you think. I was pretty close to trading my Lexus in on a Ram 2500 Cummins because I wanted to have something that had 4wd and that I wouldn't have to worry about in the snow. Plus whenever I go to a friends house to go shooting we usually take trucks off road to the back of their property and I'm always stuck hitching a ride, that and I'm always having to ask a friend to help me move stuff. But I came to realization that while I'd really like to have a Larime or a Big Horn 2500 Cummins, I don't think I'd be as happy with it in the long run.

The IS350 is nice, but very small inside, and if you get awd the transmission tunnel hump where your right leg would rest bulges out into you leg and isn't very comfortable, imo.

I love my Q50RS, I'd highly recommend test driving one. My only regret is not getting the Iridium blue exterior instead of the black, but hind sight is 20/20 I guess...
Yea man, the Tacoma is great and all, just not my style lol. I'm from New York and trying to fit into this Texas scene...not working. I must say though this truck has proven itself useful on so many levels. I've helped several people move in the short few months, I've taken it fishing a few times, and it's gotten me through some serious flood water here around Houston - stuff that would could flood most cars. It's a great truck but still can't get used to the change from my two door.

Today I'll be heading to a dealership to check out a Q50s that has only 11k miles. If all else fails, I'll probably end up leasing one.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:13 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

The car is always more important than the color. Love mine, but MW was my second choice as well.
If I remember correctly your first choice was lakeshore or blue slate, correct?

Originally Posted by monytx
Yea man, the Tacoma is great and all, just not my style lol. I'm from New York and trying to fit into this Texas scene...not working. I must say though this truck has proven itself useful on so many levels. I've helped several people move in the short few months, I've taken it fishing a few times, and it's gotten me through some serious flood water here around Houston - stuff that would could flood most cars. It's a great truck but still can't get used to the change from my two door.

Today I'll be heading to a dealership to check out a Q50s that has only 11k miles. If all else fails, I'll probably end up leasing one.
Good luck. Hope it works out for you, if you didn't see the picture of the iridium blue that John and I were talking about a couple of posts ago, I'd highly recommend seeing that color in person before making a color choice.