Build Threads

Build Thread Number 2, Red Sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 01:40 PM
gavingw

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Will do. They are getting installed Friday. I'll then decide if I want to buy RSR down springs right away based on fitments.

Getting them ceramic coated on Friday already as well :-). Same G Techniq stuff I have on my car right now.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:43 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Holy cow! Those are going to be a nightmare to clean, but really, really pretty.
Hahaha those were my exact first thoughts!!
Being pretty comes with a price
Damn good looking wheels.

Originally Posted by '11G37S
Make sure you put a good coat of wheel wax or a ceramic coating on them before you put them on, so it'll make them easier to clean!
+10000000000 on ceramic coating, I did on mine prior to mounting tires which made the work a lot easier and boy am I enjoying cleaning my wheels now. Literally a simple rinse off, maybe some agitation here to there but literally a simple rinse off thanks to the ceramic coating inside and out.
The following users liked this post:
gavingw (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 02:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Now I see why they look familiar to me... google "pontiac snowflake rim"
gavingw (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 03:39 PM
gavingw

Originally Posted by Goonz
Hahaha those were my exact first thoughts!!
Being pretty comes with a price
Damn good looking wheels.

+10000000000 on ceramic coating, I did on mine prior to mounting tires which made the work a lot easier and boy am I enjoying cleaning my wheels now. Literally a simple rinse off, maybe some agitation here to there but literally a simple rinse off thanks to the ceramic coating inside and out.
Oh yes. I loved the ceramic coating for my old CVTs, which were nowhere near as annoying as these would be without coating.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Now I see why they look familiar to me... google "pontiac snowflake rim"
And here I thought my car was a Mazda, not a Pontiac :-P.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:14 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

So regarding the Stillen intakes, I'm also having a bit of issue when driving it around in "standard" mode, I noticed in low revs 20-30mph when keeping my foot on the pedal maintaining power between 2-3k rpm's, as soon as I let go of the gas pedal, I feel the car jerk as it downshifts or something. It's noticeable enough to where I can def. feel it. Car almost seems to have a vacuum leak, does like a hiccup on most cold starts, won't stall out but almost seems like it wants to, then it finds it bearings and is fine for the most part. Then if I find myself letting off throttle early or late, maybe after having a bit of a heavy foot, the car doesn't know if it wants to shift or it hard shifts or something. Never felt it before, perhaps it's due to the ECU learning the new intakes? I know when installing intakes on my previous Infiniti's with the VQ motor, they always suggested to disconnect the battery when installing so that when you re-install the batter and drive the car with the new intakes, the computer re-learns the car.
This has been happening for more than 2-weeks now, Stillen has been contacted but are responding with little to no answers saying no one else is experiencing these issues when in fact many folks on the forum/facebook forums have called to complain so it's not a good situation to be in at the moment having spent $500 on a basic intake with sub-par quality parts and not to mention its performance which seems to be giving more problems.

Just an update:
I disconnected my battery on Saturday and immediately noticed the car acting different as if it was re-learning everything (which is what I wanted). Ever since then, I've been driving in "Standard" mode with occasional "Sport" mode and have been driving calmly and steadily - meaning easing off the gas pedal allowing the car to smoothly shift. There is some jerkiness but it's a lot better and not as viscous as before. It is getting better with time now since I reset the battery, will report more once I put on a few more miles. The car is more responsive obviously with the intakes so that is something to keep in mind. I'm still not 100% satisfied so I'll give it some time, I did order new clamps since the ones provided by Stillen were not very good and didn't fit the MAF when installed with the coupler.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:06 AM
gavingw

I don't think I could go any wider in the front without rubbing. haha. But it fit :-).

I think it'll look perfect in a couple weeks when its lowered.
Attached Thumbnails Build Thread Number 2, Red Sport-2017-06-06-09_04_15-gavin-gauthier-wiebe-gavingwiebe-o-instagram-photos-and-videos.jpg   Build Thread Number 2, Red Sport-2017-06-06-09_04_28-gavin-gauthier-wiebe-gavingwiebe-o-instagram-photos-and-videos.jpg   Build Thread Number 2, Red Sport-2017-06-06-09_04_40-gavin-gauthier-wiebe-gavingwiebe-o-instagram-photos-and-videos.jpg   Build Thread Number 2, Red Sport-2017-06-06-09_04_48-gavin-gauthier-wiebe-gavingwiebe-o-instagram-photos-and-videos.jpg   Build Thread Number 2, Red Sport-18814529_1643873918963912_1968769525529347389_o.jpg  

Old 06-07-2017, 11:49 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

Guys - on a side note, I was digging through some of my older folders and stumbled accross a pic of my first car, a 1998 Ford Contour SVT (black one pictured below). Why the #9? well mine was the 9th car off the production line meaning it was built in November 1996. Stock motor was a 2.5L Duratech V6 200hp.

Name:  10-1.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  63.1 KB
gavingw (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 12:53 PM
gavingw

Guys - on a side note, I was digging through some of my older folders and stumbled accross a pic of my first car, a 1998 Ford Contour SVT (black one pictured below). Why the #9? well mine was the 9th car off the production line meaning it was built in November 1996. Stock motor was a 2.5L Duratech V6 200hp.
Haha. I don't have a picture of my first car. However, Thanks to google images, here you go, in the same color as well.

1997 Toyota Corrola CE. Thing was a tank, it made its way through my moms ownership and into my hands then died because an old lady cut me off in a van and I t boned her. 290 000kms and I think 500$ in repairs that weren't maintenance.

Only mods were upgraded sound system, 12 inch sub, 600 watt and better speakers all around.

http://hanabi.autoweek.com/sites/def...?itok=eT6_CHVl
Old 07-17-2017, 12:57 PM
gavingw

This build thread died. RSR Down springs got installed on my Q60 AWD Sat. Here is a picture I took that night.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:35 AM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Need an actual side or 3/4 shot. That reference makes it look like there was no change in height
Old 08-19-2017, 02:09 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

It's been a while, just an update - Stillen finally started offering returns on all the disgruntled customers who were experiencing issues with the their intakes such as myself. I'm extremely happy that they agreed to this as my car was not doing well at all. I can say now that with the stock intakes, the car is running SO smooth.

I took advantage of Stillen's recent sale and purchased their front lip as I felt it was a missing piece to complete the look of the car, everything black on my car is gloss so debating whether to get it painted or leaving it matte black.

My best friend lives in Williamsburg NY so I took a road trip to go visit him for a couple of days since he just had his engine block rebuilt with forged piston and all on his STi from EFi Logics in CT, his car is an absolute beast now. I took advante of the trip and dropped my car of at ONEighty to have my headlights done. I had them paint the inside gloss black, frosted DRL and frosted eyelid. I also added a dynamic turn signal which I feel looks killer, check it out below.

Last edited by Goonz; 08-19-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:48 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
It's been a while, just an update - Stillen finally started offering returns on all the disgruntled customers who were experiencing issues with the their intakes such as myself. I'm extremely happy that they agreed to this as my car was not doing well at all. I can say now that with the stock intakes, the car is running SO smooth.
I've been out of the game for a while, I'm not spending anymore money on my Q50RS because I'm saving up for a 2016+ CTS-V. What was the issue with the Stillen intakes?
Old 08-22-2017, 11:00 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Originally Posted by '11G37S
I've been out of the game for a while, I'm not spending anymore money on my Q50RS because I'm saving up for a 2016+ CTS-V. What was the issue with the Stillen intakes?
About 90% of the people with the intakes were experiencing issues when moderately accelerating and then letting off the gas between 2.5 - 3.5rpm, the car would freak out and change gears however when changing gears, it was would feel very aggressive and it caused the car to jerk badly. Long story short, we found out that Stillen didn't really complete their R&D on these intakes making it seem that they wanted to be first in the market with their outrageous price of $500. The R&D wasn't even done on an RS model but a silver sport.

The silver sport owner reported these issues discussed above but I guess it got no where. Many people were unhappy such as myself, Since late June I had been demanding my money back telling them I was not happy. Many demanded an answer as well as their money back but Stillen went cold and stopped responding to all of us for atleast 1.5months stating that they were unable to replicate the issue and that the car also jerked under stock setup which was a load of BS. In any case, they started responding to those who were consistenly unhappy and wanted their money back such as myself. They sent me label last week and I immediately sent the intakes back happily and will be getting a full refund shortly.

I wasn't happy with Stillens customer service or lack there of regarding the intakes but at the end of the day I was glad that a company with as big of a name of that of Stillen was able to indirectly acknowledge their fault accept our returns. The next day I went ahead and ordered their front splitter which arrived today.