Build Threads

Build Thread Number 2, Red Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 06:10 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
These are going to look and sound superb!
Old 02-14-2017, 07:22 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
that looks sexy!
Old 02-16-2017, 08:17 AM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by '11G37S
Finally! All three (well technically 5 including the tips) pieces of my GTHaus exhaust came in! Install scheduled for Friday afternoon.

Congrats on the pickup! Funny you mentioned the color thing about the blue. We actually thought about trading in my wifes car to get the redsport and that blue was a the top of our list. It is beautiful in person! We also liked the red as a 2nd choice.

Funny thing is, I'll be installing my GT Haus 3 piece exhaust this weekend as well

Just curious why whyd you go black? The tips have the famous split and I'd left is STS so that everyone knew what it was....then again its not like everyone and their mother wont hear you coming

Cant wait to hear this on yours!!!
Old 02-16-2017, 10:56 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
I couldn't wait till Friday to have it installed so I contacted another shop I use for my Volvo and set up an appointment for Wednesday night (last night). About $100 later and an hour and a half of waiting anxiously it was installed.

Name:  85E5739D-83E2-48FE-BD66-8885870B5B8B.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  138.6 KB

Name:  564245C0-5E51-46B3-A5AB-1A7F7885B985.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  140.5 KB

Name:  61F09E9A-05BE-4C10-B512-F03763F66F0C.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  115.4 KB

My initial reaction was that I was disappointed. When the mechanic started up the car it was very quiet, about as loud as the axle back I had on my Lexus. He revved it a little and was still underwhelmed. So I started thinking about ways to make it louder, mainly adding down pipes, but decided to let the pipes season and break in first before making rash decisions.

I left the shop and went straight to the Infiniti dealership where the service manager, sales manager and a salesman (who use to race formula 3) wanted to hear it. I could tell it was breaking in and getting louder. After several trips around the block it was getting louder, about where I wanted it to be. It took about 20 miles or so to really start breaking in, so now it's about where I wanted it to be.

Even though the Red Sport motor (the VR) is a baby GTR engine I still wanted the signature VQ growl that I had grown to love with the G and FX/QX70. This exhaust is the closest I have heard, both in person and through video, to have a hint of the VQ growl. I absolutely love it.

I'll add what videos I have later once I get them uploaded to YouTube.

Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
Congrats on the pickup! Funny you mentioned the color thing about the blue. We actually thought about trading in my wifes car to get the redsport and that blue was a the top of our list. It is beautiful in person! We also liked the red as a 2nd choice.

Funny thing is, I'll be installing my GT Haus 3 piece exhaust this weekend as well

Just curious why whyd you go black? The tips have the famous split and I'd left is STS so that everyone knew what it was....then again its not like everyone and their mother wont hear you coming

Cant wait to hear this on yours!!!
Thanks! Are you getting the GTHaus on your G or the Q? I think you'll be happy with it either way.

I went with black tips because the stainless tips were difficult to keep clean. It required a lot of scrubbing with Eagle One Never Dull. So I kind of took the lazy approach, if you will. Plus I'd like to black out the chrome eventually so this kind of puts me a strap ahead I guess. I love the black tips. The black tips still have the splitter in there, I honestly haven't checked to see if it's also painted black or not. I'll try to get an up close picture of them when I get off work.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:59 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Videos:

The following users liked this post:
blnewt (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 10:27 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

wow that looks and sounds gorgeous! congrats my friend!

Apparently Infiniti has released a sport muffler kit for the VR30 motor engineered by Nismo. I've been been debating between that or a full catback seeing as I'm afraid a full catback may require a tune. I've put a deposit down on the FI catback but also picked up the sport muffler kit. May just return since now the person who has it on their RS is experiencing drone issues.

New Infiniti Q50 Sport Muffler Kit - Engineered by NISMO - Infiniti Q50 Forum
Old 02-17-2017, 10:42 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Originally Posted by Goonz
wow that looks and sounds gorgeous! congrats my friend!

Apparently Infiniti has released a sport muffler kit for the VR30 motor engineered by Nismo. I've been been debating between that or a full catback seeing as I'm afraid a full catback may require a tune. I've put a deposit down on the FI catback but also picked up the sport muffler kit. May just return since now the person who has it on their RS is experiencing drone issues.

New Infiniti Q50 Sport Muffler Kit - Engineered by NISMO - Infiniti Q50 Forum
Thanks.

My service manager was talking to me about the "Sport exhaust" and he was saying that he was unimpressed with it. He use to race cars back in the day, actually had a fully built '72 240z, and he was saying he put it on a Red Sport that they got in to sell just to hear what it sounded like and mentioned that it wasn't much louder than stock. Also I doubt you'd gain much, sound or performance, from it with the front pipe having an external diameter of roughly 1.25".

I was impressed with the gains FI is claiming with the cat back and down pipes (I think it was 46? Could be wrong). I'm considering the FI down pipes but I'm not sure yet. Debating on FI down pipes or Stillen cold air intake next, after the spring install.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:24 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

I was impressed with the gains FI is claiming with the cat back and down pipes (I think it was 46? Could be wrong). I'm considering the FI down pipes but I'm not sure yet. Debating on FI down pipes or Stillen cold air intake next, after the spring install.
yea, really reading some negative feedback on the oem sport mufflers. Going to pony up and put my name in for FI
Old 02-18-2017, 07:50 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
It seems less, um, violent... than I was anticipating. Don't get me wrong, it's all respectable, top-shelf, drool-worthy, high quality stuff, etc. But I was expecting more.

Apparently Infiniti has released a sport muffler kit for the VR30 motor engineered by Nismo.
About freaking time. This should have been a standard feature on the G Sport Model a decade ago.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:43 AM
eljoker

Received 192 Likes on 125 Posts
yea, really reading some negative feedback on the oem sport mufflers. Going to pony up and put my name in for FI
The new Stillen with Carbon Tips looks and sounds pretty good. Take a look at those before you jump to FI. Just my .02
Old 02-18-2017, 11:46 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Originally Posted by Rochester
It seems less, um, violent... than I was anticipating. Don't get me wrong, it's all respectable, top-shelf, drool-worthy, high quality stuff, etc. But I was expecting more.
Agreed. The turbos really muffle the sound quite a bit. Which is the main reason why I'm looking into down pipes.

Also keep in mind, the videos were filmed with an iPhone so it doesn't quite capture the full sound or how loud it really is.

It is much quieter than the G, is say by about 20-30%. Still is the best exhaust I've heard yet for the VR30.

Now I remember talking to people with the GTHaus on a G that also put RHFC on and said that it made the sound too raspy. But I don't think it'll be as much of an issue with the VR30 since it's less raspy than the G was with the GTHaus alone.

I don't know. There's still not a ton of options out there since the engine is about a year and a half old.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:49 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Helmholtz resonators would go a long way to making a sexy sound.

Is that an option from ARK or Motordyne, or anyone, in their highflow cats?
Old 02-18-2017, 04:36 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

As far as I know nothing similar is available. But I'm not 100% sure, I'm basically relying on the Facebook forums for info since the Q50/60 forum support is pretty much nonexistent.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:35 AM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Agreed. The turbos really muffle the sound quite a bit. Which is the main reason why I'm looking into down pipes.

Also keep in mind, the videos were filmed with an iPhone so it doesn't quite capture the full sound or how loud it really is.

It is much quieter than the G, is say by about 20-30%. Still is the best exhaust I've heard yet for the VR30.

Now I remember talking to people with the GTHaus on a G that also put RHFC on and said that it made the sound too raspy. But I don't think it'll be as much of an issue with the VR30 since it's less raspy than the G was with the GTHaus alone.

I don't know. There's still not a ton of options out there since the engine is about a year and a half old.
Wow, man that does not sound like anything I was expecting! Hopefully it breaks in alittle more, but I agree....I'd be looking for some down pipes!

I did get mine installed this past weekend, I left my Stillen HFC's on for now and it just screams. I believe I will cut back just a tad and put the oem cats back on.

Oh and the black tips look great!

Old 02-21-2017, 11:07 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

I feel once you start going down the road to replace lower down pipes and etc, you should seriously start considering a tune. I know for upper down pipes it's a must but for lower it should also be the same.