Build Threads

Mkhlmnn's OEM Plus // Budget Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 10:33 PM
Mkhlmnn

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Upscale Speed
Not a matte fan at all. Really for anything. I like shiny stuff. Gloss Black FTW.
I am trying to stick with an OEM style look, just more aggressive. You prefer more gloss, so would choose this Gloss Carbon better to tie in with my rear diffuser?
Old 04-24-2016, 11:41 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Mkhlmnn
I am trying to stick with an OEM style look, just more aggressive. You prefer more gloss, so would choose this Gloss Carbon better to tie in with my rear diffuser?
That gloss CF looks more authentic, and since you already have a CF trim piece it would tie in pretty well.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Upscale Speed
Not a matte fan at all. Really for anything. I like shiny stuff. Gloss Black FTW.
Do both.

Gloss black the top and bottom edges. Matte black the middle slats.
The following users liked this post:
Mkhlmnn (04-25-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 10:34 PM
Mkhlmnn

After lots of trial and error, I finished doing the short shifter mod (Shortened about and inch) and installed a Nismo GTR shift ****. Feels much better, just need to attach the boot to the bottom ring tomorrow when I do some more work to the G. The cabin is pretty much done minus getting my wheel wrapped and stitched with white and red stitching and a new skin.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:33 PM
Calidoso
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
After lots of trial and error, I finished doing the short shifter mod (Shortened about and inch) and installed a Nismo GTR shift ****. Feels much better, just need to attach the boot to the bottom ring tomorrow when I do some more work to the G. The cabin is pretty much done minus getting my wheel wrapped and stitched with white and red stitching and a new skin.

How did you end up accomplishing it? I have an M45 **** and would like it to sit lower on it aswell. Was thinking about just cutting the white pieces of that it can sit on the original cut out lines.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:41 PM
Mkhlmnn

Originally Posted by Calidoso
How did you end up accomplishing it? I have an M45 **** and would like it to sit lower on it aswell. Was thinking about just cutting the white pieces of that it can sit on the original cut out lines.
It was actually a bit of a pain and quite a lot of work, it will be more work with the M45 **** as it seems to have a shorter seat then the GTR ****. However if you are prepared to do a good amount of prep and take the time to do it you'll be happy. A few tips when doing it are cutting every part of the stalk, shifter rod, and white plastic tip to equal lengths as one thing off and you wont be able to get it out of park as the **** wont reach the rod. I cut the tip off an inch, the shifter rod about an inch, cut the shifter stalk down about an inch then grinded the slits for the shifter to slide into about an inch also. I would also remove the trim and boot so it doesnt get in the way and cover the center console and lower dash with plastic so the cleanup is easier.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:27 AM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Looking great man! Keep up the great work!
The following users liked this post:
Mkhlmnn (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 07:44 PM
Mkhlmnn

Got the ring glued to the boot and coming together well.

Painted my calipers this weekend also. Next to come is 20mm spacers all around and new leather perforated wheelskin with red and white stitching to tie in with the start button and ****.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Yep, that's red leather. I see that now in these pics. Looks pretty darn good, IMO.

Sport or non-sport calipers? What's the color... Yellow, gold? Lets see a close up of what you did here.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:04 PM
Mkhlmnn

Originally Posted by Rochester
Yep, that's red leather. I see that now in these pics. Looks pretty darn good, IMO.

Sport or non-sport calipers? What's the color... Yellow, gold? Lets see a close up of what you did here.
Thanks! They're yellow on the 07 sports but stock, i wish i had some akebono calipers but these with my rotors and pads will do for now.

That was right before I put the wheels on. Used the G2 epoxy paint kit.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:41 PM
Mkhlmnn

Today I did a little DIY fun! Made and installed a grounding kit, removed the air box silencers and did a G.A.B. mod.

After doing the grounding kit it costs me roughly $40 to make and 45 mins to install once the cover was off, pretty easy and straight forward. My quick review is the treble in the speakers is clearer and louder. Really no extra bass from the grounding however. The shifts are a hair quicker I'd say about 10% maybe 15% tops. For a fun little project do it in my opinion was worth it but I wouldn't say it would be worth buying a pre-made kit or spending more than $60.

Now for the air box mod:

Air boxes removed

You can see the silencer sticking up with the air box removed on passenger side

Driver side silencer tube

The silencers

Boxes drilled before filling, smoothing and cleaning.

Boxes reinstalled

Boxes and grounding kit all done and put back together!

Quick review on the air box mod with silencers removed - Now this was a free mod and purely for the joy of wrenching on the car and getting a little more sound. The extra airflow from this may help but I would say it's negligle performance from the button dyno. However sound wise there is much more induction noise when the pedal is fully pressed to the floor and there is a hair more resonance in the cabin because of it. Driving around at normal speeds or accelerating without pushing the car to redline it sounds very similar to stock. More noise and less weight is a plus in my book haha.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:45 PM
cannondalemtb

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Ah, the "NISMO - High Performance AIUMINUM Radiator Protection Cover."

I also bought one and then immediately sanded and painted it because I could not unsee "Aiuminum"
Old 05-15-2016, 10:03 PM
Mkhlmnn

Originally Posted by cannondalemtb
Ah, the "NISMO - High Performance AIUMINUM Radiator Protection Cover."

I also bought one and then immediately sanded and painted it because I could not unsee "Aiuminum"
No F***ing way, im going to have to go look now. That is going to bother me so much lol
Old 05-15-2016, 10:37 PM
cannondalemtb

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
No F***ing way, im going to have to go look now. That is going to bother me so much lol
I didn't even notice in all the eBay ads. But now I do!

Old 05-15-2016, 10:50 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Oh well, just a little dot of silver touch up paint and it will say Aluminum, lol.

Quick Reply: Mkhlmnn's OEM Plus // Budget Build