Build Threads

Arxylis's 08 Coupe build

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 12:26 PM
sLADe781
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Arxylis
Here's the link to the one that I got on Amazon: HDMI to 3RCA Composite AV Converter

The sound works just fine. The issue may have been with the phone. Just speculating, but the hardware may not have been passing audio through the HDMI output, so you would have had to use a headphone to RCA adapter.

I'll get a video put together tomorrow hopefully to show everything in more detail. I plan on getting ahold of a USB GPS module and seeing if that works out.
Hmm...I'm not sure because when I tested everything on the TV, it worked. But when I got to the car, it wouldn't show the sound. But if I connected the sound cables to a 3.5mm then yes I would have sound. So I don't know what the issue is.

I noticed the link you provided was for Apple TV. Do you think it'll matter that I have an android or some other device?
Old 01-20-2016, 03:17 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by sLADe781
Hmm...I'm not sure because when I tested everything on the TV, it worked. But when I got to the car, it wouldn't show the sound. But if I connected the sound cables to a 3.5mm then yes I would have sound. So I don't know what the issue is.

I noticed the link you provided was for Apple TV. Do you think it'll matter that I have an android or some other device?
Yeah, that is odd. I took a look at that thread after I had posted that. I'm not sure why it would output sound on the TV but not the car.

The product listing may say it is for Apple TV but that really shouldn't matter. The HDMI standard is the same regardless of the brand. It's connected to an Android device currently and works just fine.

I may still do that video later today; the weather has kept me from wanting to venture out to the garage so far though...
Old 01-21-2016, 04:19 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Time for another quick update:

I received my third set of Tail as Turn modules from Diode Dynamics today. This set has the same hyperblink issue that the first two had. I've requested that they double check the next set they send out to ensure they are functioning properly. While this is a well made product, and their customer support is on top of things, it seems someone is sleeping in the QC department.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:50 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Ok, I finally got some free time to put together this video. It's not much, but should give an idea of how to do this for anyone that is interested. If you have any questions let me know. All of the items I purchased for this will be outlined in my next post.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:12 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Here's a list with links of what I bought for this setup. I got everything on Amazon because Prime shipping rocks. Any comparable items should work as well, so shop around for what works best for you.

<b>Generic MK809III Mini PC TV Box</b> Generic MK809III Mini PC TV Box
$33.94
(This runs a quad core CPU with 2GB of RAM. I'm using a 32GB Micro SD I had on hand for storage of media.)

<b>Smart&Cool ® 2.4G Mini Flying, Portable Wireless Handheld Keyboard</b> Smart&Cool ® 2.4G Mini Flying, Portable Wireless Handheld Keyboard
$13.99
(I may go a different route with this, as the "air mouse" is a little cumbersome.)

<b>HDMI to 3RCA Composite AV Converter for AppleTV</b> HDMI to 3RCA Composite AV Converter for AppleTV
$29.99
(It says for Apple TV, but HDMI is a device agnostic standard. Also, it has a power port, but it is not needed and doesn't seem to have any effect on the quality of the output signal.)

<b>Car Charger, Spigen® [Dual Port] USB Car Charger 2.4A Output x 2</b> Car Charger, Spigen® [Dual Port] USB Car Charger 2.4A Output x 2
$9.99
(The important thing here is that the charger supports at least 2A. The stick will not run reliably if it can't draw at least 2A of current)
Old 01-24-2016, 12:25 PM
sLADe781
Registered Member

Awesome Arxylis!! Thanks for the video and links to the products.

One question: does the stick, converter, or charger get hot by any chance? I remember the setup I tried got pretty hot.

If you get the GPS aspect working, please report back and I will definitely give this another try.

Thanks again!
Old 01-24-2016, 12:36 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Originally Posted by sLADe781
Awesome Arxylis!! Thanks for the video and links to the products.

One question: does the stick, converter, or charger get hot by any chance? I remember the setup I tried got pretty hot.

If you get the GPS aspect working, please report back and I will definitely give this another try.

Thanks again!
The stick can get a little warm, but I haven't noticed the converter or charger heating up any. Keep in mind though that I haven't used this for any extended period of time yet, so that may change.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:20 PM
Tyler White

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loving this build. Looking to do a lot of the same stuff to my car once I am able to do some work on it. Ever thought about going as far as a twin turbo install or supercharger?
The following users liked this post:
Arxylis (01-24-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 02:28 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Originally Posted by Tyler White
Loving this build. Looking to do a lot of the same stuff to my car once I am able to do some work on it. Ever thought about going as far as a twin turbo install or supercharger?
Thanks!

I may go FI of some sort in the future, but it's not in the cards right now. This car is my daily driver, and I learned a valuable lesson about pushing things too far on a DD with my Evo.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:51 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Nothing major to report, but I have one small update:

The third replacement set of Tail as Turn modules arrived today, and they work as they were intended to!

Although this had been a bit of a drawn out process, the Diode Dynamics crew has been great to work with and they have top notch support. Manufacturing anything is never a 100% yield process and sometimes things slip by, but it's how a business treats its customers when something goes wrong that defines their character. In this I believe they did a great job.

I'll probably not have much else to show on here until tax return time. I plan on replacing the painted headlights with the OEM 2011+ style ones, replacing the steering wheel due to wear and peeling trim, and maybe throwing a strut bar on. I'm waiting until late spring/early summer to think about lowering it.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:58 PM
GW330
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Whats the point of adding a GPS receiver if the screen turns off the second you release the parking brake and start moving (cant play video through AUX while parking brake is released)? Is there a "new" way around that? I know a while back a harness was sold to fix that but I believe not anymore.

Its an awesome idea, dont get me wrong. Thanks for taking your time and documenting this for us.
Arxylis (01-31-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 10:13 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Originally Posted by GW330
Whats the point of adding a GPS receiver if the screen turns off the second you release the parking brake and start moving (cant play video through AUX while parking brake is released)? Is there a "new" way around that? I know a while back a harness was sold to fix that but I believe not anymore.

Its an awesome idea, dont get me wrong. Thanks for taking your time and documenting this for us.
I was planning on doing the unmentionable... but I wasn't going to mention it.

In all seriousness, I am looking at the NavTool 3.0.
GW330 (01-30-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 09:58 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Lights, Camera, Reverse!

Installed a backup camera today.

It isn't final, I've got a wireless transmitter and receiver coming tomorrow, but I've got the power tied in to the passenger side reverse light.

The module snaps in where the license plate light housing goes. Pretty straightforward.

I need to replace the metal bracket that those lights mount into as it's fairly rusted. Seems like it is a common thing on these cars...

Here's a pic of the camera in action. Right now the input needs to be on Aux, but when the car is placed in reverse it comes on.

The end goal for this is to have the wireless receiver connected to a NavTool or something similar that will automatically activate that input when the car is placed in reverse, and switch back to the other video input (the Android stick) when in any other gear.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:32 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Got the wireless units in today. Here's the transmitter:

I cut off most of the pigtail that is included on it since the TX will be located in a space between the tail light and the sheet metal of the body.

Here's the wires for the reverse lamp. Black/White stripe is positive, solid black is ground.

This is my horrible soldering job. I couldn't find my iron, so I used a propane torch instead. It worked, but doesn't look pretty.

A little shrink tube to keep it protected:

Here's everything connected:

I don't have a picture of where the module sits, as it had to be situated in the spot as the tail light was being put back on, making it difficult to get a good look at it.

But here is the image it produces when paired with the receiver (which is not currently hardwired)

As you can see, the image is just as clean as the one produced by a wired connection from my testing yesterday. No dropouts, static, or distortion is present.

Overall, I like it. Now I need to get something to interface with the car so that it works more like an OEM application; automatically switching the input and displaying the camera feed when vehicle is placed in reverse.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:59 PM
sLADe781
Registered Member

I was planning on doing the unmentionable... but I wasn't going to mention it.
That's what I had to do when I installed my backup camera too.

Got the wireless units in today. Here's the transmitter:

What's the point of the wireless transmitter? Just so you don't have to run the wire from the camera up to the video input? You still need something up front connected to the video input though right?

I currently have the video cable running beneath my carpet up to the center console but wouldn't mind changing anything up if it works out well.

Loving the build so far especially when it comes to the electronics that you're doing. If you get some type of GPS display up and running, please let us know because that's ultimately what I'm aiming for.

Thanks buddy!