Build Threads

Arxylis's 08 Coupe build

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 12:31 AM
Fatbuux
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice G! I've been considering purchasing an OEM spoiler for mine. Can't find many Athens Blue ones, though. Where did you get yours from?
Old 01-14-2016, 07:02 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts
Washed the G today, and took some more pics.

Also took a video of the Beluga axle back:

The following users liked this post:
blnewt (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 09:51 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Originally Posted by Fatbuux
Nice G! I've been considering purchasing an OEM spoiler for mine. Can't find many Athens Blue ones, though. Where did you get yours from?
Got mine on eBay from a dealer that is selling parts in Tennessee. I only found one in Platinum Graphite.

Going directly to the stealership may unfortunately be the only option for some of the more rare colors.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:39 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Lower that 4WD truck. Haha I'd drop out on coilovers and add sways first before doing anything else. You'll be happy you did. Camber kits and new end links would be welcomed upgrades too.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:09 AM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Originally Posted by Upscale Speed
Lower that 4WD truck. Haha I'd drop out on coilovers and add sways first before doing anything else. You'll be happy you did. Camber kits and new end links would be welcomed upgrades too.
I'll probably do a mild drop at some point but nothing aggressive. The roads around here in rural Indiana eat lowered cars for breakfast. There's places on the main state routes where the road is literally falling into the river.

This is a picture of a bridge about 3 miles from where I live from a couple of years back:

That's how bad the roads get here before they do anything about it.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:00 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Did they really put rebar to patch that gaping hole in the road? what. the. f***.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:06 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Originally Posted by MaQG37
Did they really put rebar to patch that gaping hole in the road? what. the. f***.
The rebar was exposed because the road crumbled into the river about 30 feet below. They had been patching a pothole in that bridge over and over until one day when a car drove over it, the concrete below it gave way and left a 3'x5' hole. They put a metal plate over it initially, then the road (a major state route) was closed for over a year because another hole had started to open up in the bridge and they had to replace the whole thing.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:07 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

The sad part is that there are several other places on this same road that have been closed in the past couple of years because they are slipping off into the river. There are huge cracks where one part of the road is an inch or two lower than the other part.

Don't even get me started on the gravel roads and stream crossings... So yeah, dropping the G more than an inch or so is pretty much out of the question unless I just want it to sit in the driveway and look pretty.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:26 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Quick update on the Tail as Turn module issue:

I received the replacement modules yesterday along with a label to RMA the defective ones. Unfortunately the replacements also suffered from the hyper blink issue. Phillip from Diode Dynamics stated that they had a manufacturing issue with this last batch and is sending out another replacement.

Kind of a PITA, but at least they are on top of things with sending out replacements.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:52 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Being the electronics and gadgets nerd that I am, I decided to hook up an Android "mini PC stick" in the G.

It's just stuffed in the center console for the time being, but I'll be coming up with a more elegant solution in the future.

I've got it running into an HDMI to RCA converter and piped into the Aux input. The resolution of the screen on my 2008 is pretty hideous, and even with the text size maxed out it isn't very readable. I'm testing out a more car friendly launcher app as a possible work around. Any suggestions here would be helpful.

Despite the tiny text, viewing movies and listening to music works just fine. Here's a few pics of it in action:

I'm currently using this "air mouse." It works fairly well, but I think a touchpad will be much better, just need to figure out how/where to mount one.

Overall, it's something fun to play with, and costs less than a hundred bucks.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:29 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

I'm using an app called "Car Launcher." It seems to work fairly well. It's easier to read than the normal Android launcher.

Weatherbug seems well suited for this setup as well

Torque App. I'm having some issues getting it to talk to my OBD II module though... Works fine on my phone. Probably an issue with this Android stick.

Google maps. Unfortunately this stick does not have a GPS chip in it. I may try an external one for navigation use.

Jonesmeister11 (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 02:05 AM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
subbeddddd!
Old 01-19-2016, 02:33 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
looks good, man. i'm jealous of the RCA inputs - USB only in my 2013, can't do anything with it like you did.

you could check out Automate - kind of a Android Auto substitute for those without it. you will need to join the Google+ community to be able to download the app from the Google Play store.

https://plus.google.com/communities/...88212710276577

Arxylis (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 04:08 PM
sLADe781
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Arxylis, can you elaborate more on which HDMI to RCA converter you used? Are you able to get sound? Any humming noise?

I tried a similar setup about a year ago to go from my phone to the car and could not get sound up (see post 73 - https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...-screen-5.html).

Please let me know how your setup is and if you're able to get GPS displayed on the screen (which is what I really want).

Thanks!!
Old 01-19-2016, 07:29 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Originally Posted by sLADe781
Arxylis, can you elaborate more on which HDMI to RCA converter you used? Are you able to get sound? Any humming noise?

I tried a similar setup about a year ago to go from my phone to the car and could not get sound up (see post 73 - https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...-screen-5.html).

Please let me know how your setup is and if you're able to get GPS displayed on the screen (which is what I really want).

Thanks!!
Here's the link to the one that I got on Amazon: HDMI to 3RCA Composite AV Converter

The sound works just fine. The issue may have been with the phone. Just speculating, but the hardware may not have been passing audio through the HDMI output, so you would have had to use a headphone to RCA adapter.

I'll get a video put together tomorrow hopefully to show everything in more detail. I plan on getting ahold of a USB GPS module and seeing if that works out.

Last edited by Arxylis; 01-19-2016 at 11:53 PM.
VQHAY (02-18-2016)