Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 03:50 PM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Spencer from Z1 says the "Wavetrac has a pre-loaded helical design which just gives it better performance in the unloaded or lower traction scenario compared to the Quaife."
Ah got it. It's about the force nescessary to activate the lock.

You have piqued my curiosity with the boxes. A true showman.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:58 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
And I bet you thought I was joking, LOL

Anyway... what was in the boxes that you're collecting for a Springtime install?

I see Stillen, and Nissan, and CarGrilles...
John that must have been your desk after an earthquake?

Originally Posted by FlashGuy
Ah got it. It's about the force nescessary to activate the lock.

You have piqued my curiosity with the boxes. A true showman.
Haha! Some more arrived today so I will post a few more pics soon.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Just a corner of the basement is all. One of my kids was into the zip ties this week, and didn't bundle things up. However... it's mostly chaos on that workbence anyway.

Carry on. Just making a funny while whoring your build thread.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:40 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Just a corner of the basement is all. One of my kids was into the zip ties this week, and didn't bundle things up. However... it's mostly chaos on that workbence anyway.

Carry on. Just making a funny while whoring your build thread.
Ah ha, I knew that mess was not yours. Anyone who has oriental rugs in their garage is far too organized for that.

So the Stillen box has a rain guard in it that I really hope fits my Z1 filters, the skinny box has enough mesh for me to screw up my grille about 4 times, and the Nissan box has my 4.083 gears.

Can you guess what is in these boxes that just showed up today? You should already know the big box and you will be very happy to know one of the things in the smaller Z1 box.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Can you guess what is in these boxes that just showed up today? You should already know the big box and you will be very happy to know one of the things in the smaller Z1 box.

Big box? A bike to hang on that Saris Bones?

And the Z1 parts... I'm guessing you were so greased with spending money on car parts lately that it took no effort whatsoever to pry another $150 out of your wallet.

You bought collars.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:10 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

No, the big box is the radiator I told you about in the other thread. (I have some silicone hoses coming for it too.) You are right about the collars, but the part I thought you would be excited about is the motor mounts. Yes, I finally pulled the trigger on the MOTOR MOUNTS! I also have the bearing and seal kit for my rear diff, but that is not a terribly interesting way to spend $270.
The following users liked this post:
Calg37USMC (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 04:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

No, the big box is the radiator I told you about in the other thread. (I have some silicone hoses coming for it too.) You are right about the collars, but the part I thought you would be excited about is the motor mounts. Yes, I finally pulled the trigger on the MOTOR MOUNTS! I also have the bearing and seal kit for my rear diff, but that is not a terribly interesting way to spend $270.
Didn't realize you bought the collars *AND* mounts. Good for you! I'm excited to read about that this Spring. Best of luck with them.

Radiator... right.

What's the tally for you this year then? Let's see:
  • high capacity radiator
  • subframe collars
  • poly motor mounts
  • 4.083 gears
  • custom grille
  • ...and your car all covered in electrical tape. LOL

Anything else? Going to be an active year for you, installing mods, seeing what they do at the track and on the street.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:54 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Here is a pic of the Z1 bearing and seal kit so everyone can see all the part numbers. Nobody at 3 different distributors would give me the exact part numbers so I could order them through work. It was frustrating because no one on this website had the right part numbers either.

Here are the actual 4.083 gears. These part numbers were actually easy to find. These parts and the seal and bearing kit should be installed next week.

This is the Stillen rain guard and hardware. I really hope I can get this to fit as $85 seems like a lot for these parts. I am curious to see how everything bolts up because they sent two bolts to go through the filters so I am not sure how that would go through the rain guard and bolt together.

Rochester, here are the motor mounts in the flesh. I should have time to install them in the next month or two at the latest.

Rochester, to answer your question I also plan to order the passenger seat weight sensor relay and try wiring up a resistor to that side. Once I can confirm that the wiring will work ok I will order up the Bride seat rails. They take about 3 months to get. After I confirm fitment, I will get another Sparco R600 for the passenger side. I really don't care much about these parts since I will probably never sit in that seat, but it would be nice to match the seats and probably shave another 25lbs. off the car. I probably won't have that done until the end of summer.

I also plan to carbon wrap the chrome trim around the windows and maybe the mirror caps too.

I really hope the radiator helps enough with the temps, but if not I may need to get one of those ugly vented hoods.

I will probably also get Z1 2pc. front rotors at some point and eventually the rear set.

I was planning on getting a Wavetrac or OS Giken LSD as well since I can save a lot on labor by getting a pre-assembled unit from Z1, but they will not take my Nissan gears because they did not order them and do not want to be liable. My parts dept. will only return them for a 20% restocking fee because it is a royal PITA to return them to Nissan. So I think I am going to keep the stock LSD since I never noticed any issues yet and save the money for a good rear diff cooler if I need it.

I think that about wraps it up for this year. It seems like a lot because some of that was going to be done last year, but it really took all of last year to get the Z1 tune sorted.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:56 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Here are the actual 4.083 gears. These part numbers were actually easy to find. These parts and the seal and bearing kit should be installed next week.
Next week? That's pretty exciting. Who's doing the work, and did you get a hard estimate?

Man, all those plans are exhausting. You know, if you hold some things back until next year, then you'll have something to look forward to, and you won't go into this Fall looking to get another car. For example... do your radiator, gears and collars this year. Then do the motor mounts and brakes next year. Just saying. Pace yourself.

Regardless, love most of what you've done, and the plans you're making.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-01-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:49 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I hear you on the pacing part and I'll try, but things I might end up needing for safety on the track won't wait. I'll find the weak links soon enough.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:21 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

My Infiniti shop is installing my 4.083 gears today. We are supposed to get 7-10 inches of snow today so it could be an interesting drive home. I also asked them to take a look at my airbag light for my Sparco seat and see if they could help narrow down the source of the annoying squeak in my dash.

I learned today that you also need a pinion nut to do this job as it is apparently a locking nut that cannot be reused. It was only about $5 at my employee cost, but here it is with the part number for anyone else who wants to upgrade gears because I believe this is the only place you can find all the part numbers you need.

Here are the rest of the parts and part numbers for the seal and bearing kit again if anyone needs them since I am pretty sure this is the only place you can easily find the complete list.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:40 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

So I drove around with the 4.083 gears in the snow last night and it was almost impossible not to just spin the tires madly in 1st and 2nd. You pretty much have to start in 2nd gear in snow. It is actually quite a bit harder to drive in the snow now so I will have to get used to that.

Today I drove it on better roads and it is not quite the big change in acceleration that I was expecting. The best way I can explain it is that it feels like everything happens about 500 rpm earlier and you have low end torque now, or at least the most noticeable changes are at lower rpms.

I think it makes the car easier to drive smoothly (unless you get on it) as it feels like you have more power in every gear. Almost like it is a 5 spd transmission now and 1st gear is pretty useless. Actually, you can spin the tires very easily in 1st and 2nd now. Keep in mind I still have snow tires on so I am sure the change in acceleration will be much more noticeable once I get my much wider and stickier summer tires on the car- hopefully, soon.

A lot of people warned me about worse mpg's, but I think that would only apply to me if I did a lot of hwy driving. Around town or lower speeds you should be able to get the exact same mileage, but you may be in a higher gear to do it.

I need to get used to all my shift points changing and drive it around a bit more. I think I like this mod. It is just not quite what I was expecting.

Here is a pic of the original gears. They still look just like new and I could only see one spot of any visible wear on anything.

In my never ending quest to try to lighten this beast of a car I weighed the new 4.083 gears and the old gears to see if there was any difference. Oddly enough, one of the new parts was almost exactly a pound lighter and the other was almost exactly a pound heavier so it was a wash. Strange.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:25 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Sounds right to me. You didn't add power, it's more like you moved it left and compressed it... if that makes any sense. And gobs of low end torque that just wasn't there before, gotta like that. You'll get used to first gear and get back to using it normally soon enough. I promise.

Crazy that you did this in snow on snow tires. That's certainly going to make it difficult figuring out what's what. The change is different, for sure, but in just a few short weeks you'll have your summer setup on the car, with normal temps on dry pavement. All will be right, and you'll be loving it.

Congrats, OP.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-04-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:39 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I think you are right Rochester, but I have to be careful about when I apply the power in the lower gears- especially with snow tires. It could be a bit of a handful in the winter now, but I'll get used to it.

It seems to make a bigger difference in acceleration in the first 3 gears than all the others. This morning on the way to work I finally had a chance to accelerate hard on an on ramp and it definitely revs a lot quicker and as a result seems to pull harder. It is not quite as drastic a jump in revs at highway speeds as I thought either, which is good. Even at 80 mph with the snows (really about 75 due to short sidewalls) I think I am only at about 3,300 rpms and just about 3,000 rpms at an indicated 75 mph (really about 70).

Coming around a tight 90 degree turn on my way to work this morning that I usually take in 2nd gear I took in 3rd gear and when I got on the throttle just a bit I broke the back end completely loose. It was a bit of an eye opener as that usually only happens at full throttle in 2nd gear, but it was controllable and nothing bad happened.

So I guess it is kind of fun in a way that I am basically relearning how to drive my car. At the same time it is bittersweet because this is really probably the last thing I am going to do to my car to increase the power. No big deal, I always think the most important nut you can upgrade in the car is the one behind the wheel.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Coming around a tight 90 degree turn on my way to work this morning that I usually take in 2nd gear I took in 3rd gear and when I got on the throttle just a bit I broke the back end completely loose. It was a bit of an eye opener as that usually only happens at full throttle in 2nd gear, but it was controllable and nothing bad happened.
Exactly!!! That's precisely what I've been saying. And I think it actually makes the car more drive-able, because you don't have to go full-throttle in 2nd gear to get the kind of grunt newly available in low 3rd. Similarly, if you just want an aggressive highway pass, you can use fourth now, without looking like an idiot wringing out third.

What's going to happen, is you're going to become more comfortable living in lower revs, so that when you do go full-on acceleration it's kind of a shock.

All that being said, yours is going to be a different experience than mine, and not just because you did this with snowtires on the car. You went into this already tuned, so you're old "normal" has more HP.

So I guess it is kind of fun in a way that I am basically relearning how to drive my car. At the same time it is bittersweet because this is really probably the last thing I am going to do to my car to increase the power.
That's probably true. But then, there's a lot of car here to enjoy.

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan