Build Threads

Intricate's Mod Thread - A Detailed Journey

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 06:54 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
Loving the wheels and build so far. Keep it up.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:06 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Beautiful wheels. An elegant, creative design, and yet aggressive too with the thick spokes. Very nice choice, as they sit there on the floor. Looking forward to seeing them on your car. This hypothetical car that you've not shown a single picture of yet.

You going to keep that red & black sticker, or ditch it? FFT... Form Flow Tech? Hmm. I'd ditch it. It's busy.

And I'm getting self-conscious commenting in your thread. Need more members.
Thank you man. As for the FFT sticker, it's def going. Doesn't go with my blue slate anyway...and even if it did, I'd probably still ditch it.

Duuuuude, I know that's not grammatically correct, but I did post pictures of my car. Over in my "newbie" thread post...and I thought somewhere else. But it's been TERRIBLE weather so getting good pics with the wife's camera has been difficult...unless I want to lay in snow, etc. However, I do have pictures of every side and the engine bay, etc...for the purpose of the "transformation".

Either way...these are a couple that I have.

Intricate's Mod Thread - A Detailed Journey-20150207_123230-800x600-.jpg

Intricate's Mod Thread - A Detailed Journey-20150207_123255-800x600-.jpg

Intricate's Mod Thread - A Detailed Journey-20150207_123306-800x600-.jpg
Old 03-05-2015, 11:34 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Wow, didn't know you already got the wheels, they must have shipped them as soon as you clicked the check out button
Wheels look great, should really go well w/ your G and the current trim.

Have you considered what lug nuts you're going to get? Not sure if you were aware that the OEM Infiniti lug nuts won't work w/ the tapered seat wheels.

Rochester has an epic lug nut thread here FWIW.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...s-welcome.html
Old 03-06-2015, 08:13 AM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Originally Posted by blnewt
Wow, didn't know you already got the wheels, they must have shipped them as soon as you clicked the check out button
Wheels look great, should really go well w/ your G and the current trim.

Have you considered what lug nuts you're going to get? Not sure if you were aware that the OEM Infiniti lug nuts won't work w/ the tapered seat wheels.

Rochester has an epic lug nut thread here FWIW.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...s-welcome.html

Thanks Brad! Yea, they really did get those wheels out immediately lol. Makes me feel kind of stupid because my swaybars aren't even here yet lol. And you'd think those would be fast. In fairness, they did tell me they were currently out of stock, but yea.

What lug nuts to go with? They don't fit OEM? Psssh, yea, I knew that...you think I'm a noob?

LOL...I totally didn't know that. Going to read through that thread now. Thanks Brad...always keeping me afloat!
Old 03-06-2015, 08:20 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by IntricateDetail
They don't fit OEM?
Old 03-06-2015, 08:55 AM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Lol usually I would feel all embarrassed but in my defense...I didn't even look it up yet. I hadn't even thought about it because I have a crapton of other things to do before I get to my wheels/tires. Dyno, pics/vids, CAI, sways, brakes, more dyno...all that will happen before I do wheels/tires. It just so happens my wheels came in first. Well, second technically since I have the CAI as well.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:03 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
The trick to not being embarrassed about something you don't know is to genuinely laugh at yourself and learn what you need to learn. Seems you've got both of those checked off, and are on your way.

So... what are you thinking for lug nuts? Given what you're doing here, and how fast you're doing it, I'd hazard a guess cost isn't a significant consideration. However, one thing that might be is your new calipers... whether you stick with OEM metallic silver, or go custom. And if you paint the new calipers, would you want to get a lug net set that compliments that color?
Old 03-06-2015, 09:24 AM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

The trick to not being embarrassed about something you don't know is to genuinely laugh at yourself and learn what you need to learn. Seems you've got both of those checked off, and are on your way.

Definitely agree with you there. I know so little about cars, if I wasn't able to laugh at myself...I probably would have just stuck to computers lol.

So... what are you thinking for lug nuts? Given what you're doing here, and how fast you're doing it, I'd hazard a guess cost isn't a significant consideration. However, one thing that might be is your new calipers... whether you stick with OEM metallic silver, or go custom. And if you paint the new calipers, would you want to get a lug net set that compliments that color?
Actually, I'm very happy you brought that up. Brad and I have been having quite the extensive offline conversation about everything and the caliper piece came up. Honestly...and I know everyone has their own opinions...I am thinking either color-matching the calipers with some kind of blue, or going black or even black speck with silver akebono lettering. If not that, then Brad kind of turned me on to the burnt orange look, but I'd need to get a better idea of what it would look like on my car (i.e. Photoshop time). I just haven't had time this week so will get to that this weekend...after the dyno and pic/vid upload.

As for the lugs...if I go with black calipers...I might go with a darker lug...if I go with burnt orange, then I might stick with that theme (ZOSTER used the deep blue on his blue slate, and someone else used the burnt orange them and it looked pretty nice. Thanks Brad for the info). But ultimately, I will need to photochop the heck out of some wheels/tires tonight and throw them on my car and see how I like them.

I'm going to Fathouse Fabrications tomorrow for a baseline dyno pull. I will get a lot more pics of the car and some vids and will post said media content on here when it's all ready to go.

Edit: I didn't even address your other statement. You would be right, the cost of the lugs wouldn't be that big of a concern, as much as the color and quality. I would probably want to either color match, or at least highly compliment the rotors if they are anything other than silver or black.

Last edited by IntricateDetail; 03-06-2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:38 PM
Baby Jumpman
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Reading through these build threads and seeing everyone's appreciation for mods and a project coming together is really refreshing. I applaud you for sticking to your budget/timeline as it can be hard especially if you have the money to just splurge. Great idea to document everything. I wish I had took more pics of everything I've done so far but not really worthy of a "build" thread though. Great products so far and I'm looking forward to following this and many other threads.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:01 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Originally Posted by Baby Jumpman
Reading through these build threads and seeing everyone's appreciation for mods and a project coming together is really refreshing. I applaud you for sticking to your budget/timeline as it can be hard especially if you have the money to just splurge. Great idea to document everything. I wish I had took more pics of everything I've done so far but not really worthy of a "build" thread though. Great products so far and I'm looking forward to following this and many other threads.
Thanks for the kind words. You came in at just the right time, because I just got back from getting my baseline dyno done! Pics, vids, and dyno sheet to come.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:38 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Ok guys, as promised. Baseline dyno happened today at Fathouse Fabrications. I am attaching a few pics, and the dyno sheet for the best pull. I don't really understand the numbers because it seems way high. I know DynoJets are supposedly higher than Mustang, but man...I'm super happy with the numbers regardless.

Edit: Second post updated and will be where I place future dyno sheets/stats/etc as I move forward.

Best Pull: 296.05 AWHP / 247.11 TQ

The guys were awesome and down to earth, and I'll definitely be going back there for future pulls.

I uploaded a video as well...and I recorded it in HD so there wouldn't be a quality issue. Cheers!

Anything you all want to know/see as I progress through my "build", just let me know and I'll try to make it happen. Thanks for looking!

Intricate's Mod Thread - A Detailed Journey-1.jpg

Intricate's Mod Thread - A Detailed Journey-3.jpg

Intricate's Mod Thread - A Detailed Journey-6.jpg
Old 03-07-2015, 07:00 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Very nice baseline Carl, looking forward to seeing this progress. Great that you found a place you're happy with, makes it that much easier to justify multiple dyno visits
The following users liked this post:
IntricateDetail (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 08:29 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Originally Posted by blnewt
Very nice baseline Carl, looking forward to seeing this progress. Great that you found a place you're happy with, makes it that much easier to justify multiple dyno visits
Thanks Brad, I'm looking forward to it as well. Looks like I'll need an extra set of seals for the Akebono calipers if I'm going to get powdercoat, so I am going to grab a set of those really quick, and then I think I'm good.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:45 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Well, the tires came in today! Den? You think that's for your entertainment...better make room for my tires!!

Intricate's Mod Thread - A Detailed Journey-dsc_9855-1024x678-.jpg

Intricate's Mod Thread - A Detailed Journey-dsc_9856-1024x678-.jpg
Old 03-10-2015, 05:01 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

I get my calipers today...yea, you guessed it. See below. Not even what I ordered. So not only are they not finished....yea, totally charged me $1,000 for this junk. I'm pretty upset.

It would appear they just sent me all calipers for the G37 w/o Sport brakes, instead of the parts for w/ Sport brakes. Hmmm, no big deal...I'm just about to lose it. And of course, that department closes at 4PM so I will have to call back tomorrow to talk to them about it. Cool.

Last edited by IntricateDetail; 03-12-2015 at 05:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Intricate's Mod Thread - A Detailed Journey