Build Threads

Intricate's Mod Thread - A Detailed Journey

Old 03-01-2015, 09:48 AM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
That's an understatement. More importantly, it severely compromises your ability to appreciate each mod for what it does to the car. It also sets you up for post-project depression.

But hey, if you got the cash and the mod bug, might as well feed the beast.
Well, I have settled on SSR GTV03's in 18x9.5 +45 squared setup wrapped in some Michelin PSS. I just need to find a good deal on the Akebono kit and I'm done for now.

I'm going to take your advice and appreciate the changes even though I'm still doing a lot at once. Then, maybe down the line, if I like what I see/feel/experience in other people's cars, I might drop mine and go from there.

I have read a lot of your posts and I know you've been around here a long time and never shy away from sharing your opinion, and I wanted to say your willingness to tell people the truth, is actually much appreciated from my end. It's good to hear it straight, based on another person's perspective and experience. So cheers to that!

Now if Brad would wake up and respond to my PM....geesh. Stop staying up so late man!!
Old 03-01-2015, 10:10 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
I would really recommend going with 19s. It'll make a big difference on looks - especially with those Akebonos.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:45 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,570 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by IntricateDetail
I have read a lot of your posts and I know you've been around here a long time and never shy away from sharing your opinion, and I wanted to say your willingness to tell people the truth, is actually much appreciated from my end. It's good to hear it straight, based on another person's perspective and experience. So cheers to that!
Well, that was nice. Thank you. An explained opinion is always more valuable than "sick ride bro", even if it isn't what someone expects.

You have good writing skills, an open mind, and apparently you're an excellent judge of character ( ), so I'm looking forward to reading what comes from your mods this Spring.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:03 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Originally Posted by connoisseurr
I would really recommend going with 19s. It'll make a big difference on looks - especially with those Akebonos.
I really did want to. But the difference is more noticeable from 18's at stock height than 19's at stock height, at least, in my very humble opinion. I know I'm not the best with judging these things, but it appears that way to me. Took me a long time to make this choice (just ask Brad haha), but if down the road I do make the decision to drop, I will honestly probably sell the GTV03's and pick up the Avant Garde M580 in 19's as those were my first choice. But they don't make them in 18's. Well, technically the Avant Garde's were my second choice. Vorsteiner V-FF 103's were my first choice...but, we can't have everything we want in life.

Well, that was nice. Thank you. An explained opinion is always more valuable than "sick ride bro", even if it isn't what someone expects.

You have good writing skills, an open mind, and apparently you're an excellent judge of character ( ), so I'm looking forward to reading what comes from your mods this Spring.
You're most welcome. I definitely agree with you. I would much rather hear it like it is from someone who I can glean valuable information from, than be coaxed into something via the "affirmation station" crowd, if you're familiar with that term.

We got 6 or so inches of snow between last night and this morning, and I'm really starting to feel like winter is never going to end. But alas, I'm sure the Praetorian Guard also never thought they would be able to travel faster than horse/chariot...so there is that.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:58 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Wheels ordered, now for the tires. Check first post for updates.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:18 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Takeda CAI came in! Man, I thought ordering was fun...but starting to see the packages show up at the door is something else entirely!

Will post pics and a short vid of the "box contents" later for people who might want to see how everything is packaged up before they pull the trigger. Hey, some people are insane like that. Either way, I warned that there might be TOO much media revolving around this haha, and I'm a nerd. I'm used to doing open box videos of the Xbox 360 or PS3, collector's editions of World of Warcraft, etc. You can't just OPEN a box without at least taking pictures.

I'll post back later, and hopefully by then, I'll have figured this whole brake setup out. I really don't trust myself picking these parts out.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:38 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Akebono BBK ordered. See first post for updated info.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:01 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Toyo Proxes T1 Sport's ordered....see first post for updated info. Now...we play the waiting game haha.

Got word back that my FI CBE is looking like mid-June build date...so that's a little depressing, but oh well. Guess I'll be getting an initial tune without my exhaust. We shall see.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:10 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Got word back that my FI CBE is looking like mid-June build date...so that's a little depressing, but oh well. Guess I'll be getting an initial tune without my exhaust. We shall see.
I've been waiting on my FI CBE since last Xmas. That puts me at the 10 week mark right now.

FI Cats take 6 to 8 weeks. FI Catbacks take 10 to 12 weeks. It just is what it is.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:59 AM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

I've been waiting on my FI CBE since last Xmas. That puts me at the 10 week mark right now.

FI Cats take 6 to 8 weeks. FI Catbacks take 10 to 12 weeks. It just is what it is.
Yea, I hear you. I thought I did the math right. Ordered last week of Feb...so figured just doing 4+4+4 would put me at last week in May for 12 weeks...looking more like 14 or 15 weeks at this point. But you are right, it is what it is.

At least I will have the other items installed. And see, it will work out the way people said to do it. Sways/wheels/tires/brakes will all be done before the exhaust haha.

Speaking of which, you have the RHFC installed in conjunction to your OEM setup right? How do you like that? I guess if the RHFC came in beforehand, maybe I would install it without the CBE?

Seems like a lot of work to do that just to do it all over again a month later. Well, not the same thing of course, but exhaust stuff in general.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Speaking of which, you have the RHFC installed in conjunction to your OEM setup right? How do you like that? I guess if the RHFC came in beforehand, maybe I would install it without the CBE?

Seems like a lot of work to do that just to do it all over again a month later. Well, not the same thing of course, but exhaust stuff in general.
Yes. I've had the FI RHFC mated to the OEM cat-back for a year now. There's an undeniable added power; it's not dramatic, but noticeable and appreciated. And there's an added, deeper sound to the exhaust, but it's very subtle because of the little resonators on the RHFCs.

Installation between the two is almost unrelated to one another, except for unbolting the catback from the cats. The biggest problem installing the cats are the flange bolts at the headers. IIRC, two are bolts and one is a pin... but my mechanic did the work. Everything was going very smooth during the install, until it wasn't, LOL. Research it.

If you're getting the cats first, I'd say install them. That way you can assess what's going on one mod at a time.

Also, the FI Cats don't allow for re-use of the support bar that connects both OEM cats to the underside of the transmission. Without that support bar, you will get NVH that you didn't have before, although I suspect it's more noticeable on the 6MT than the 7AT, because of idle speed. Alfredo's FI Cats snapped because of it, but AFAIK he's the only one here on the forum that's ever happened to, or has talked about it. Go read through Alfredo's build thread, and you'll run across that discussion, as well as my mechanic's creative solution to the problem.

Wait, here it is: https://www.myg37.com/forums/build-t...ml#post3856429

Last edited by Rochester; 03-04-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:53 AM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Everything was going very smooth during the install, until it wasn't, LOL. Research it.

If you're getting the cats first, I'd say install them. That way you can assess what's going on one mod at a time.

Also, the FI Cats don't allow for re-use of the support bar that connects both OEM cats to the underside of the transmission. Without that support bar, you will get NVH that you didn't have before, although I suspect it's more noticeable on the 6MT than the 7AT, because of idle speed. Alfredo's FI Cats snapped because of it, but AFAIK he's the only one here on the forum that's ever happened to, or has talked about it. Go read through Alfredo's build thread, and you'll run across that discussion, as well as my mechanic's creative solution to the problem.

Wait, here it is: https://www.myg37.com/forums/build-t...ml#post3856429
Ugh...yea I really hate when I see people having issues like this. I don't know enough about these types of things to be able to assist other than tell the guy doing it, hey check this thread out or read this while you're working on it lol. Which is frustrating...but oh well.

I actually had read that thread before and the solution your mechanic did. I have it saved in a notepad document somewhere to give to the guy who is going to be doing mine.

I'm just really paranoid about all of this, because part of me is like...you expect to not have to worry about these types of things when you pay this kind of money for parts. Of course, it's really just that I bought everything at once and that's why it seems like so much haha. Truth be told, it will probably come together a lot better than I anticipate...I tend to be an optimist until it's something that has to do with me.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:22 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Well, second batch of fun arrived today. They look amazing!

Intricate's Mod Thread - A Detailed Journey-1.jpg

Intricate's Mod Thread - A Detailed Journey-2.jpg

Intricate's Mod Thread - A Detailed Journey-3.jpg
Old 03-05-2015, 05:46 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Beautiful wheels. An elegant, creative design, and yet aggressive too with the thick spokes. Very nice choice, as they sit there on the floor. Looking forward to seeing them on your car. This hypothetical car that you've not shown a single picture of yet.

You going to keep that red & black sticker, or ditch it? FFT... Form Flow Tech? Hmm. I'd ditch it. It's busy.

And I'm getting self-conscious commenting in your thread. Need more members.
The following users liked this post:
IntricateDetail (03-08-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 05:50 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Those wheels are going to POP. I definitely looked at those myself but was won over by another design. Can't wait to see those in your G

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intricate's Mod Thread - A Detailed Journey