Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Help My G37 makes a squeaky noise when parking in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 02:26 PM
kon17
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My G37 makes a squeaky noise when parking in reverse

So as the title says about a week ago I started hearing a loud squeaky noise coming from my car whenever I'm parking the car going reverse. At first I didn't pay mind to it because the noise just came in and then it stopped, but afterwards I started to notice it more when I'm going to park my car and gently press on the break going reverse (The car doesn't make the sound when I'm driving and press on the break). I checked my power steering fluid to make sure there was no leak since I just had that replace not so long ago, brake fluids seems good and the brake rotors don't seem to have that much rust. I read online that humid weather and when it rain can sometime cause rust which will make your car have that squeaky noise. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow to have a diagnostic, anything in particular I should have a look at to know where the problem is?
Old 10-01-2018, 04:09 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
More info, please. Sport or non-Sport? How much meat is on the pads?
Old 10-01-2018, 04:42 PM
kon17
Premier Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
More info, please. Sport or non-Sport? How much meat is on the pads?
I have an 09' G37 journey sports I bought it with ~32k miles and right now it has 35.7k miles
Old 10-02-2018, 11:17 AM
erichomie
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I'm having this same issue with my car, or at least something similar. I have a 2013 G37X sedan with 40k miles - 7sp auto. Let me preface that it is not consistent, but there's a squealing/squeaking sound that's most noticeable when I come to a stop with brake applied, and even moreso when I shift the car into reverse. Not sure if it is weather/temperature or distance related.

I've attached a video of what it sounds like. In the video, I've just driven about 20 miles to my destination in normal driving conditions, 85mph max. As I pulled up to the parking spot I applied my brakes and immediately heard the squeaking/squealing sound. If I leave it in drive and keep my foot on the brake, it will continue to squeal, but once I shift it into park it stops...(It also does this on occasion when I am stopped at a red light with my foot on the brake.) So I noticed that when I shifted to reverse the squealing got louder, and that's when I decided to record a sound clip. The video begins with car in Park, and then I shift into Reverse. The squeak/squeal begins at 0:06.

@Kon17 - Is this the same problem you're dealing with?

Last edited by erichomie; 10-02-2018 at 12:20 PM. Reason: 7AT
Old 10-02-2018, 11:27 AM
kon17
Premier Member

Originally Posted by erichomie
I think I'm having this same issue with my car, or at least something similar. I have a 2013 G37X sedan with 40k miles. Let me preface that it is not consistent, but there's a squealing/squeaking sound that's most noticeable when I come to a stop with brake applied, and even moreso when I shift the car into reverse. Not sure if it is weather/temperature or distance related.

I've attached a video of what it sounds like. In the video, I've just driven about 20 miles to my destination in normal driving conditions, 85mph max. As I pulled up to the parking spot I applied my brakes and immediately heard the squeaking/squealing sound. If I leave it in drive and keep my foot on the brake, it will continue to squeal, but once I shift it into park it stops...(It also does this on occasion when I am stopped at a red light with my foot on the brake.) So I noticed that when I shifted to reverse the squealing got louder, and that's when I decided to record a sound clip. The video begins with car in Park, and then I shift into Reverse. The squeak/squeal begins at 0:06. https://youtu.be/ZXy0JaGwV98

@Kon17 - Is this the same problem you're dealing with?

it's a bit similar, the noise is not consistent as I have to gently press on the break while on reverse to get the car to make that noise and it's very loud. I have yet to hear it when I'm driving or if I hold on the break while on drive. So far it's only happening when backing up to park at a very slow speed whenever I gently press on the break. The noise comes and goes, sometimes it makes no noise then the noise comes back the second time I press on the break to continue backing the car.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:16 PM
erichomie
Registered Member

The application of the brake seems to be the critical component. Neither of us are experiencing the sound unless we're applying the brakes. I'm going to try and be more aware of the exact specifics the next time it occurs and report back.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:09 PM
kon17
Premier Member

The application of the brake seems to be the critical component. Neither of us are experiencing the sound unless we're applying the brakes. I'm going to try and be more aware of the exact specifics the next time it occurs and report back.
I just got back from the dealership and after getting it inspected the noise is coming from my left rear wheel break pad
Old 10-02-2018, 01:18 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

If I leave it in drive and keep my foot on the brake, it will continue to squeal, but once I shift it into park it stops...(It also does this on occasion when I am stopped at a red light with my foot on the brake.)
Once you're at a stop, brakes will not make noise. You can be certain that from the rear half of the torque converter to the wheels, nothing is moving. Your squeal is mostly a belt, tensioner or other moving item in the engine bay. Could also be a vibrating heat shield, that's pretty common.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:34 PM
erichomie
Registered Member

Once you're at a stop, brakes will not make noise. You can be certain that from the rear half of the torque converter to the wheels, nothing is moving. Your squeal is mostly a belt, tensioner or other moving item in the engine bay. Could also be a vibrating heat shield, that's pretty common.
That is very true. Thanks for the advice. I missed the part in kon's post about only hearing it when in motion. My issue is probably unrelated to the brake pads then. Will continue to investigate.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:35 PM
petemo94
Registered Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by kon17
So as the title says about a week ago I started hearing a loud squeaky noise coming from my car whenever I'm parking the car going reverse. At first I didn't pay mind to it because the noise just came in and then it stopped, but afterwards I started to notice it more when I'm going to park my car and gently press on the break going reverse (The car doesn't make the sound when I'm driving and press on the break). I checked my power steering fluid to make sure there was no leak since I just had that replace not so long ago, brake fluids seems good and the brake rotors don't seem to have that much rust. I read online that humid weather and when it rain can sometime cause rust which will make your car have that squeaky noise. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow to have a diagnostic, anything in particular I should have a look at to know where the problem is?
Mine does the same. Does it almost every time I pull out of the garage after the car was sitting all night. Especially if it rained the night before.

If you look for it, there was a post referring to the Akebono brakes which are notorious for this problem. I've bought (but not yet installed) Centric pads and rotors which people believe will prevent this from occurring.

Bottom line, its a major annoyance, but does not effect braking performance. I've gotten to a point where I think its funny b/c you can modulate the noise as you back up.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:59 PM
kon17
Premier Member

Originally Posted by petemo94
Mine does the same. Does it almost every time I pull out of the garage after the car was sitting all night. Especially if it rained the night before.

If you look for it, there was a post referring to the Akebono brakes which are notorious for this problem. I've bought (but not yet installed) Centric pads and rotors which people believe will prevent this from occurring.

Bottom line, its a major annoyance, but does not effect braking performance. I've gotten to a point where I think its funny b/c you can modulate the noise as you back up.
Yea as i back my car I can pretty much control the noise, but after having it checked the noise is coming from my rear wheel brake pad. I'm considering changing my brake rotor and brake pad all together. I've been looking around the forum and some folks recommend StopTech Rotors combined with Hawks HPS 5.0 brake pads
Old 10-03-2018, 01:40 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

The front HPS pads will dust a lot. The rears, not so much. BT,DT.

"Mine does the same. Does it almost every time I pull out of the garage after the car was sitting all night. Especially if it rained the night before." Because racecar! This is typical of four-piston calipers. Can't help with quelling this lovely noise, you're on your own.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:38 PM
kon17
Premier Member

The front HPS pads will dust a lot. The rears, not so much. BT,DT.
Will I be better off using StopTech Pads instead or are there better ones you would recommend?