Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Help Something is rubbing my rotor

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 12:11 PM
littlej53081

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something is rubbing my rotor

Trying to solve a maddening issue; looking for some help.
Car: 2009 G37X sedan. No sport package.
Symptom: High-pitched metallic rubbing noise from the left front wheel area.
When does it happen: When braking while turning right. Happens while the brake pedal is pressed, and stops when I lift my foot off the brake. I can make it start and stop again by pressing and releasing the brake pedal. Happens at both low and high speeds, and it louder at higher speeds. While it's happening, the noise is continuous, not intermittent. Rarely happens (and when it does, it's much quieter) when braking while going straight, and never when turning left.
Steps already taken: Hub bearing assembly replaced. Dust shield pushed back. Pads checked. Pads are only a few months old and nowhere near their wear bar influence. Rotors are about 18 months old; they look normal.

I cannot find any obvious wear groove on the rotor (I took the rotor off and checked both sides and the edge).
I'm thinking possibly the anti-rattle clips are contacting the rotor somehow, but I can't think of an explanation for why. What would change significantly about the spacial relationship between the rotor and caliper assembly when turning? Can those clips move?
The next step I'm planning on taking is removing the anti-rattle clips and driving it around the block to see if the noise is still there.

Looking for any advice, as this is driving me nuts.